A "must watch" tonight

Paul

Fantastic, I'd forgotten how great this programme was.

I was proper welling up at the end.

I bost after about half an hour in and never stopped till a few minutes after it finished. :unsure:

I'm soft as shite like that.

And my nanna died (realtively) recently.

Nanna and/or Barbara should win every award going. Best hour of tv I've seen in a long time.

I was watching it with my housemate so I was determined not to blub in front of him, I think he was doing the same though. :(

It struck a chord with me as I spoke to my grandparents for the first time in ages yesterday they're both getting on a bit. My grandad's writing a book and he's worried he won't finish it "in time".

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I bost after about half an hour in and never stopped till a few minutes after it finished. :unsure:

Nanna and/or Barbara should win every award going. Best hour of tv I've seen in a long time.

The bit I've bolded was truly brilliant. However, the rest of it was pretty poor and disappointing imo. I don't understand why the writers had to resort to making the characters into such extreme stereotypes for the sake of a one hour spin off. Jim Royle's character was in particular stretched to unbelievable limits, the focus on his TV lost all credibility and was truly cringeworthy. At least the original series was believable - this wasn't.

Oh, and wtf was that music between the scenes? That was fucking shit, and only highlighted why the original was so good.

I bost after about half an hour in and never stopped till a few minutes after it finished. :(

The bit I've bolded was truly brilliant. However, the rest of it was pretty poor and disappointing imo. I don't understand why the writers had to resort to making the characters into such extreme stereotypes for the sake of a one hour spin off. Jim Royle's character was in particular stretched to unbelievable limits, the focus on his TV lost all credibility and was truly cringeworthy. At least the original series was believable - this wasn't.

Oh, and wtf was that music between the scenes? That was fucking shit, and only highlighted why the original was so good.

It was Walk The Line by Johnny Cash.

And you're wrong, by the way. It was a joy from start to finish for me. :unsure:

I bost after about half an hour in and never stopped till a few minutes after it finished. :(

It was Walk The Line by Johnny Cash.

And you're wrong, by the way. It was a joy from start to finish for me. :unsure:

I suspected it was Johnny Cash, but it highlighted why there was no need for it in the original series - they happened in "real" time. This program got rave reviews, but each to their own, I thought it was a pale shadow of its former self, and ultimately it just depressed me. Not because of the progression of the characters, but because nobody can make programs as good as the original Royle family any more.

You really are a miserable git, aren't you. :unsure:

I think with it being a one-off special it had to be a bit different. It's probably why the you thought (I didn't) that the characters were a bit more skewed, as they would have wanted to remind viewers of all what made them such good characters, which means cramming a bit more in. Or you haven't seen it for so long (last aired in 2000 apart from repeats) and they just seemed a bit more cliched?

I enjoyed it although agree with Renton that some of it was a bit overdone and made too much of a stereotype of Jim etc. It was poignant when they played Scarlet Ribbons during the scene when Nana was in hospital and all the family was coming in to visit her. My mam used to sing that to me as a kid and it always made me cry.

In the first scene break I thought "that doesn't work", but as the subject matter of the show became clearer the choice of Walk The Line became more and more perfect. Not only because Johnny Cash and June Carter recently died in their old age.

They're characters and people probably like everyone one of us who would do anything for their family. Nanna doesn't get stuck in a home, Barbara walks the line for her. Jim can't stand having her there, but he walks the line for Barbara. Antony for his dad, Dave for his wife and kid, we're even told about Nanna walking the line for Barbara. Caroline Ahern always said no more, so maybe in making this she's walking the line for all the characters.

They were depicting the final weeks of Nanna's life, cramming it all into real time as normal wouldn't have had an ounce of the realism or the poignancy IMO.

The first half hour was one of the funniest I have seen on telly ever. Cheryl changing Nana's bag was genius.

I thought you could see Phil Mealey's infulence on it like. A lot of it was more obvious than it used to be, like Early Doors.

Incidently I watched the last Extra's just before it and was pissing myself at that too. Robert Lindsey was fucking excellent.

Didnt see it though it's been taped for us so havent read any comments on here. I note with interest that Gol was actually going out with nana as opposed to just nailing her as previously claimed though.

1 hour photo is absolute gash by the way.

Last nights Royle Family was astonishingly poor- a real travesty. The sentiment was laid on thicker than a hookers make up. Watch the episodes from the first two series to see just how far this classic slipped in the last series and last nights saccarine-fest.

Last nights Royle Family was astonishingly poor- a real travesty. The sentiment was laid on thicker than a hookers make up. Watch the episodes from the first two series to see just how far this classic slipped in the last series and last nights saccarine-fest.

That's what final episodes tend to do though, say goodbye to the characters sentimentally (apart from Seinfeld of course, which was typically bitter to the end). I thought it was very real myself, certainly it never went to Office style lengths to tie up everyone's lives nice and neatly. It was played as just another event in the Royle life.

That's what final episodes tend to do though, say goodbye to the characters sentimentally (apart from Seinfeld of course, which was typically bitter to the end). I thought it was very real myself, certainly it never went to Office style lengths to tie up everyone's lives nice and neatly. It was played as just another event in the Royle life.

I do think if thats the best Cash and Aherne could come up with then they should have left it as it was. For me, Jim receiving Sky TV for Christmas (in the last episode barring last nights) was the perfect end to the series. I'm disappointed as i'm a huge fan but it just didnt feel right. Not only did they include unneccessary songs clips, they also removed the show from the Royle household for the first time. Why didnt they just let Nana die at home? It seemed as if they were just dragging the death out to pull at heartstrings.

Heartbeat is good :icon_lol: Good tunes and good humour.

Royale family is full of twats! Very similiar to the people in Buck Palace!

That's what I watch tbh.

There's so many levels of wrongness in that post, I don't know where to start, but I'll try:

I can't believe Heartbeat is still on, my mother watched it years ago, she's a certified mentalist, you lose :lol:

Heartbeat has the better theme tune though. :lol:

I wouldn't be able to detach them enough from their respective programmes to give an honest answer. I'm just running the Heartbeat theme through my head now, I feel ill tbh.

Noel Gallagher said when he hears that song on the radio now, he immediately thinks of the programme, I found that amusing.

Surely it must be 1980 in Heartbeat by now? Can't still be the fuckin 60's.

I was saying the same thing last nite. It's been going for the best part of 20 years so shirely they must now all be wearing shellsuits and have mullets.