Sven wants to manage Newcastle..

Scottish Mag

SVEN GORAN ERIKSSON has targeted Newcastle as the stage to resurrect his career — and the Toon are ready to listen.

Eriksson, who left the England job after the failed World Cup campaign, believes he can turn Newcastle into champions.

And the Swede is ready and waiting should chairman Freddy Shepherd decide he has had enough of the Glenn Roeder regime.

Newcastle lie just above the Premiership relegation zone after 10 games and Roeder is under pressure to turn results around.

If he does not, Shepherd will embark on yet another search for a manager who can transform Newcastle’s potential into silverware.

Eriksson is willing to modify his huge wage demands, which were £5million a year, to a more realistic £3m a year in a bid to land a job.

A close friend of Eriksson said: “Sven is determined to take a job which will give him the challenge of taking a club back to the top.

“The prospect of an English club would be very appealing as he feels he has something to prove to people in this country.”

Eriksson thought he would walk into a top post after the World Cup but his inability to get the best out of England put off potential employers.

He lost out to Fabio Capello for his dream job as Real Madrid boss.

But Eriksson loves the passion generated by the Toon Army and always talked during his England reign of their fanaticism.

Whether the Toon Army would welcome Sven is another matter.

The fans have become so cynical no manager would satisfy them unless hero Alan Shearer took up the managerial reigns — a prospect not seen as likely in the near future.

Eriksson’s agent Athole Still has linked up with Peter Harrison, a North-East agent who retains connections with Newcastle despite being the central figure in the Panorama ‘bungs’ documentary.

The stuff about us only accepting Shearer is cobblers, but I'd take Sven here now defo. He'd set up a proper coaching team and it might actually put us on the road to having the sort of set-up that the top clubs have.

I think it's probably bollocks though.

Call Eriksson a 'swede' if you will but to me he's a 'turnip' and either way I wouldn't want that veggie on my dinner table.

His line-ups, substitutions, and favouratisms during his tenure as England manager were deplorable to me.

Couldn't he see that Gerrard & Lampard were not a compatable duo in centre midfield and didn't compliment each other, and anyone who would play Rooney the way he did borders on lunacy.

Far as I'm concerned Eriksson would be another dud for Newcastle.

It's in the Sun so most likely is bollocks but I'm of the same opinion as Gemmill - he's a lot, lot better than what we have.

A lot of people knock him for his time as England coach but what mustn't be forgotten is that he had a highly successful career at club manager level.

On a related note, did anyone else see the news that Tommy Craig is set to be announced as John Collins' no.2 at Hibs? Our loss is their gain IMO - I'd love to find out what actually happened to expediate his departure.

It's in the Sun so most likely is bollocks but I'm of the same opinion as Gemmill - he's a lot, lot better than what we have.

A lot of people knock him for his time as England coach but what mustn't be forgotten is that he had a highly successful career at club manager level.

On a related note, did anyone else see the news that Tommy Craig is set to be announced as John Collins' no.2 at Hibs? Our loss is their gain IMO - I'd love to find out what actually happened to expediate his departure.

That was in Italy with Lazio. I now don't trust any managerial record in that country.

That was in Italy with Lazio. I now don't trust any managerial record in that country.

Were his successes with Gothenburg a figment of my imagination then? :lol:

He's been successful at club level wherever he's been.

Were his successes with Gothenburg a figment of my imagination then? :lol:

He's been successful at club level wherever he's been.

Yes, both at Benfica and Sampdoria too...

He wouldn't be my first choice but I think with that clown as chairman our options will be very limited and I'm suprised Sven would want to come here tbh.

I agree with Gem, the whole myth that only Shearer's appointment will satisfy us is fucking ridiculous and worrying.

Would take us out of the current predicament quite comfortably imho as much could be solved in the short term by some decent coaching and a couple of astute buys. Lottery beyond that though when those initial effects have taken you so far and started to wear off. Would be coming to us on the back of his first monumental managerial failure and would not be cheap in terms of wages.

Probably just a free advertisement on behalf of Swen's agent, to tell would-be suiters around europe to get in touch as Eriksson (sp) is ready to listen to offers.

Sells a few extra copies for The Sun, plus free advertisement for them as people talk about the report, and gets the message out to potential suiters to get on the phone to Athol Still (sp).

Right now I'd take Sven in a heart beat, with the exception of Fiorentina, he won silverware at every club he's managed, his record in competitive matches with England was world class (even though the performances weren't at times).

My only hesitance I would have in taking Sven would be the bagage he might bring, but I'm sure Nancy is a lovely woman when you get to know her. :lol:

Sven-Goran Eriksson's agent has dismissed claims the Swede has set his sights on Glenn Roeder's job at Newcastle as "malicious".

Athole Still spoke to Eriksson this morning amid reports that he is targeting the job at St James' Park, where a series of poor results in the Premiership has left Roeder's injury-hit side in the bottom four.

Still insisted there has been no contact between the two parties and denied Eriksson, who was last week linked with West Ham, is looking to resurrect his career at St James' Park.

He said: "It does not surprise me because he was linked with West Ham. Such is his stature that if there is a vacancy, he is going to be linked with a job.

"But I have spoken to Sven and he is not happy at the suggestion that he has 'targeted' Newcastle, which gives quite a different slant to the thing.

"To suggest he is looking at a club where there is another professional coach in situ, it is absolute rubbish to say that. He would never do that.

"It is one thing to say that a club is interested in him - and in this case, there has been no contact whatsoever - but to say he has targeted the job of another coach is absolutely unacceptable and is malicious."

Eriksson has been out of work since leaving his post as England coach after this summer's World Cup Finals.

He has been linked with several jobs since, although Still has repeatedly spoken of his desire to take on a club with the potential to compete in the Champions League.

The right opportunity is yet to come along, but Eriksson's agent is confident it is only a matter of time.

He said: "There have been lots of clubs interested, but somebody at his level has to wait for the right job.

"The right job will come, and I believe it will come sooner rather than later."

http://www.nufc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsD...~920462,00.html

Toon Dismiss Sven Reports

NEWCASTLE United have dismissed newspaper reports linking Sven Goran Eriksson with a possible move to St. James' Park.

One national tabloid claimed on Tuesday morning that the former England boss is interested in joining the Magpies.

However, United chairman Freddy Shepherd responded: "This is all news to me. I have not spoken to Sven since he left the England job and I have no intention of speaking to him.

"Neither have I spoken to his agent Athole Still and as far as I am aware they have not tried to approach us.

"In any case if they did it would not matter because we already have a manager."

Rough translation:

" :lol::icon_lol::blush: OMG AN EXCUSE TO GET MY NAME IN THE PAPER!!1111"

http://www.nufc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsD...~920462,00.html

Toon Dismiss Sven Reports

NEWCASTLE United have dismissed newspaper reports linking Sven Goran Eriksson with a possible move to St. James' Park.

One national tabloid claimed on Tuesday morning that the former England boss is interested in joining the Magpies.

However, United chairman Freddy Shepherd responded: "This is all news to me. I have not spoken to Sven since he left the England job and I have no intention of speaking to him.

"Neither have I spoken to his agent Athole Still and as far as I am aware they have not tried to approach us.

"In any case if they did it would not matter because we already have a manager."

:lol:

Aye, how honourable of you Freddy. Of course, the thing to do is sack Roeder without a replacement, tell us we are one of the biggest clubs in the Universe and that every manager in the world has been knocking on our door, then panic and give Geordie Lee Clark the job. :icon_lol:

The fans have become so cynical no manager would satisfy them unless hero Alan Shearer took up the managerial reigns

Utter shit. Just goes to show how much damage the OMG1!11 WTF!1!! LOL!!1 who ring in 606 and stand outside SJP are doing.

Guest Patrokles

Bit worrying the fact he completely undermined our star striker publicly about 6 months back tbh.

Non-starter methinks.

I don't recall any Sibierski quotes from him.

The fans have become so cynical no manager would satisfy them unless hero Alan Shearer took up the managerial reigns

Utter shit. Just goes to show how much damage the OMG1!11 WTF!1!! LOL!!1 who ring in 606 and stand outside SJP are doing.

SHEEERA! SHEEERA! STAND UP IF YOU LOVE SHEEERA! etc etc.

Head in hands stuff tbh.

The Fiver's take on it

FREDDY GETS FINGERED

The Fiver doesn't often get things wrong, but when we do we're always happy to admit it. Take the time a few seconds ago when we wrote "the Fiver doesn't often get things wrong", for example. Or the occasion we confidently predicted that Newcastle's notoriously fickle fans would be calling for Glenn Roeder's head by October of this year. That was back on May 16th, the day of his appointment. But with today being deadline day, there have been few cries of "Roeder oot!" to be heard from St James's Park, mainly because six defeats in nine Premiership matches mean even the fattest, most tattooed, topless Geordies have stopped bothering to go and watch them play.

But it now looks even less likely that Newcastle's fans are likely to start baying for Roeder's blood - because his departure could make way for the arrival of snake-oil salesman Sven-Goran Eriksson who, according to today's Sun, is sniffing after Roeder's job. "To suggest he [sven] is looking at a club where there is another professional coach in situ, it is absolute rubbish to say that. He would never do that," lisped Eriksson's agent Athole Still, conveniently forgetting Chelsea, the MU Rowdies, Aston Villa and about half the clubs in Europe. "It is one thing to say that a club is interested in him - and in this case there has been no contact whatsoever - but to say he has targeted the job of another coach is malicious."

Newcastle chairman Fat Freddy Shepherd, a preposterous spiv whose struggling club's abject failure has provided great amusement for fans everywhere (except in Newcastle, obviously) was equally quick to deny the speculation. "I have not spoken to Sven since he left the England job and I have no intention of speaking to him. Neither have I spoken to his agent," he way-ayed pompously, clearly labouring under the delusion that there are people out there who actually care what he actually says. Talking to Athole or through his own athole - it's six of one and half-a-dozen of the other to the Fiver.