• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Best player for the last few games IMO.

Now Butt's Blues doubt

Dec 12 2006

By Alan Oliver, The Evening Chronicle

Newcastle United were left sweating on yet another problem today after their key midfielder Nicky Butt was sent home from the training ground by the club's doctor suffering from a virus.

It's the last thing Glenn Roeder wanted on the eve of tomorrow's visit to Stamford Bridge to take on Chelsea - and on the eve of his 51st birthday.

But as ever Roeder remained upbeat, saying: "We are hoping by packing Nicky off home to recover he could still be with us on our plane to London tomororw morning.

"It seems he has a virus and a heavy cold, and to tell the truth he didn't look too good.

"But knowing the sort of person Nicky Butt is, if there is any chance of him playing then he will be out there against Chelsea tomorrow night."

Of course, there are a lot of United players who will not be at Stamford Bridge, and these days it is easier to say who is fit rather than those who are not as far as United are concerned.

Roeder, who is waiting for results of the scans on Emre's ankle and Nobby Solano's groin, will not have any of his walking wounded back tomorrow, apart from possibly the admirable Antoine Sibierski.

Two players who will not be making the trip to West London are former Chelsea midfielder Scott Parker and Kieron Dyer, although both have now returned to full training with the chance the key pair will be involved against Watford at St James' Park on Saturday.

Roeder added today: "Kieron had that terrible gash on his leg after he collided with hoardings behind the goal in our match against Portsmouth and we had to let what was a really nasty wound heal.

"He is now back in full training but tomorrow's game will come too early for him because he needs a full week of training.

"As far as Scott Parker is concerned, he is now back with us after he pulled a muscle in his back, and while it is unlikely he will be ready for Chelsea, we are pushing hard to get him fit for Watford on Saturday."

So while Damien Duff is also back in training, of the three former Chelsea players who are now with United, it looks as though only one of them - Celestine Babayaro - will play on his old stamping ground.

However, in an ideal world Roeder would have preferred Babayaro to have a rest tomorrow and avoid having to play four games in 10 days after being out of action with a groin injury for over a month.

But it's not an ideal world for United these days, and it hard to see how Reoder can stick to his original plan by giving Babayaro any sort of break.

In the meantime Chelsea, of course, are at St James' Park a week tomorrow in the quarter-final of the Carling Cup and, as reported in The Chronicle last night, Duff has rather optimistically pencilled in that game for his return after his cartilage operation.

One player who will miss both games is Chelsea's England midfielder Joe Cole and this will upset the Cockney kid because he is an unashamed fan of Roeder, who he calls his mentor.

And United certainly would not mind if reports coming out of Stamford Bridge that Chelsea's in-form striker Didier Drogba is doubtful for tomorrow night with hamstring trouble prove correct.

Edited by Barney

Assuming Baba's not suspended and that Sib and possibly Butt? make it, i'd go:

-------------------------Given

--- Huntington---Taylor-----Ramage---Baba

---Milner-------Butt?----------Pattison----Zoggy

-----------------The Sib--------Martins

SUBS

Pav

Carrol

Troisi

Gate

Rossi

If Butt doesn't make it then move Zoggy central and play Rossi or Troisi on the left.

Luque's finished in my eyes.

Good point by the beardo :

"The one bonus for Newcastle after this is that they will be able to say they have got their visits to the top four clubs out of the way before Christmas in Chelsea, Arsenal, Man United and Liverpool.

"Not many clubs can say that and that will be a big plus for Newcastle.

So who's going tonight? Just scored myself a ticket although I'll be in with the Chelsea supporters... hmmm I might end up sitting near ShearerGol <_<

me

i'm in with the chelsea support anarl.

i'm just hoping for a performance. i expect us to get walloped but am hopeful that we will at least try to compete.

could be a long night if they get an early goal

Team for tonight

Given

Huntington Taylor Ramage Babyaro

Milner Butt N'Zogbia

Rossi Sibierski Martins

Cheers for that!

Rossi on the right wing like he was when he came on against Blackburn maybe?

So who's going tonight? Just scored myself a ticket although I'll be in with the Chelsea supporters... hmmm I might end up sitting near ShearerGol <_<

me

i'm just hoping for a performance. i expect us to get walloped but am hopeful that we will at least try to compete.

Same here. But I'll be in with the Chelski season ticket holders.

*winces*

Team for tonight

Given

Milner Butt N'Zogbia

Rossi Sibierski Martins

Cheers for that!

i might revise my predicition to a 5-0 home win.

we're going to get cained with that lineup

me

Same here. But I'll be in with the Chelski season ticket holders.

*winces*

Ditto

Team for tonight

Given

Milner Butt N'Zogbia

Rossi Sibierski Martins

Cheers for that!

i might revise my predicition to a 5-0 home win.

we're going to get cained with that lineup

could be a hell of a lot worse though tbh, you watch we'll get a goal now!

What was the better lineup you were hoping for?

Mind you I would think the sib in centre mid with Rossi just off Martins might be a better formation.

i was half hoping dyer, emre or nobby might be fit.

there's not a lot of class in that eleven

What was the better lineup you were hoping for?

Mind you I would think the sib in centre mid with Rossi just off Martins might be a better formation.

i was half hoping dyer, emre or nobby might be fit.

there's not a lot of class in that eleven

Le Sib!!

LE SIB!!!

Chelsea's £30m striker Andriy Shevchenko is demoted to the substitutes bench with Salomon Kalou, Arjen Robben and Shaun Wright-Phillips forming a very attacking front-line.