Real will not extend David Beckham's contract

Ted Maul

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

David Beckham will leave Real Madrid in the summer, according to the club's sporting director Predrag Mijatovic.

"Beckham will leave us, we will not renew his contract with the club," he told Sky Italia television.

The 31-year-old, whose current deal expires in June, has been linked with a host of clubs from England, Italy, Spain, France and the United States.

Beckham has found his opportunities limited at Real this season under coach Fabio Capello.

The player's spokesman Simon Oliveira said he was surprised by the news after telling this website last week that a new two-year deal had been put on the table.

Oliveira said: "Nobody has said anything to us. As far as we're concerned, the offer is still there and a meeting is due this week."

Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/europe/6248835.stm

Let the rumour mills go into overdrive - I've heard rumours of him going to Japan or Italy.

Shall we have a sweepstake on how soon we get linked again? I give it 4 days... :razz:

The only reason they were interested in renewing his contract was so they could continue selling shirts with his name on the back, he was right not to sign straight away, I reckon he'll end up in Italy.

I still rate him like. Not what we need though (given we have other far more pressing priorities).

Agreed, I think he is a canny player and have been surprised by some of the abuse he has received over the last year or so particularly during the World Cup..

Far better than anything we have got in midfield. If his wages weren't to be so outlandish I'd be all for it (Bosman ofc)

Better anyway, I agree. A tad over the hill but. His wages are the problem though. I suppose his commercial value would counteract that somewhat. I think he'll have plenty takers anyway so we wouldn't get him.

See, I don't think he's over the hill, he'd be a much better option in the middle than Emre for the next 2-3 seasons.

If someone said to me we'd get him at a cut price (£1-2m) due to his contract being up in the summer and we could get shot of Emre for about double that I'd take it.

Edited by Sima

See, I don't think he's over the hill, he'd be a much better option in the middle than Emre for the next 2-3 seasons.

If someone said to me we'd get him at a cut price (£1-2m) due to his contract being up in the summer and we could get shot of Emre for about double that I'd take it.

Fair enough re: the bit in bold. He is a tad over the hill though. Can't see how anyone could argue against that tbh.

Maybe, in comparison to what he used to be. But, he used to be one of the best players in the world so that's no big deal.

Plenty of players around the world aren't the players they were. doesn't mean I wouldn't want them in our team.

Edited by Sima

Maybe, in comparison to what he used to be. But, he used to be one of the best players in the world so that's no big deal.

Plenty of players around the world aren't the players they were. doesn't mean I wouldn't want them in our team.

Aye, to clarify, past his prime is what I meant. Don't really see the scenario you mentioned as being a likely one. I'd be happy were it to happen though.

Hmm, I disagree. And I am everything but a fan of Emre. Beckham tries far too many long passes everytime he is on the ball for my liking.

i don't think his wages would be too much of a problem for us. owen is on more than he gets at real, shearer is off the wage bill and luque should be soon too.

totally not the player we need at the moment though

I still rate him like. Not what we need though (given we have other far more pressing priorities).

And what could be more important than showing the whole world that we're still a big club?

Tbh this sounds like exactly the sort of thing Freddie would go for. Buy him now and worry about the team later.

Edited by ewerk

Wouldn't be suprised if we make an offer though FS is a businessman so will probably do it for the shirt sales, are beckham and owen still gods in asia

Beckham is I think. Didn't know Owen ever was. And can I be the first to say: Posh wouldn't be seen dead in the Metro Centre :razz:

alex, to be fair i'd like to see that skinny bitch dead in the metro centre.

beckam is very much past his best now folks. would probably do for a season and would link up well with a fully fit owen.... or a forward that moves well... but his lack of legs (in terms of stamina and pace) means he's more of a liability against decent or quick opposition.

still a great passer of the ball though.

Personally, I'd take him. Can still do a job and also, and more importantly imo, his signing along with a fit Owen (fingers crossed) would make us more attractive to join imo. In basic terms, I think signing him would attract better players to the club.

Plus, my mate fucking hates him with a passion so it would amuse me greatly to watch him suffer.

Have his legs gone then (stamina-wise, he's never been quick)? I haven't seen enough of him of late to know. If so, it would take a lot away from his game imo.