Cooking

Gemmill

I've got a few to try. A byrianni and a couple of pickle mixes. Got an Indian mate who's mam makes me the odd batch of carrot pickle that is just amazing. The best Indian pickles Ive ever come accross are Waitroses'ones btw. They do a carrot one and an aubergine one that set any curry off just nice .

Found this recipe for Bolognese sauce which Im trying today.

Ingredients

1 kg chopped tomatoes (1100 grams)

350 grams beef mince

2 onions onion (medium size, 160g each) (350 grams)

60 grams tomato concentrate

2 1/2 teaspoons honey (12 grams)

2 3/4 cloves fresh garlic (medium size, 3g each) (8 grams)

3/4 teaspoons salt (4 grams)

3/4 teaspoons hot chili paste (4 grams)

3/4 teaspoons paprika (2.5 grams)

2 teaspoons dried oregano (2 grams)

3/4 teaspoons ground black pepper (1.5 grams)

80 mls olive oil

80 mls red wine

2 splashes worcester sauce (4 grams)

No celery and carrots in that bolognese?

Nope. I thought it might be a bit flat. Bought some mushrooms to chuck in. :unsure2:

Basically its on a website where they reckon over 5000 people have rated it 5 out of 5.

Luckily they will be full up on the starter of potato wedges and fresh soured cream. :lol:

If all else fails our lass has been paid today so the quayside Tapas place could be getting a visit.

http://step-by-step-cook.co.uk/mains/bolognese/

Edit: Just noticed this....

The all-time favourite dish and the most searched for recipe on this site. This is not a true bolognese sauce, but a variation that is used anywhere north of Italy. I tend to prepare huge amounts and freeze what I don't eat. I've carefully measured the ingredients and played around with different amounts and found the recipe below to be the best - but please feel free to modify! This will give you a not too salty bolognese with a very slight sharpness to it - my kids eat it as well. If you like your food hot, add more of the chili paste. Also, some people like more garlic in their sauce, so feel free to add more.
Edited by Christmas Tree

Half beef, half pork mince for me . I think some recipies for it become a bit too elaborate and when 'diluted' with the pasta all the add-ons become lost ? Not sure what goes into a traditional rustic just'a'like'a'the'mamma'used'to'make bolognaise but a lot of modern variants seem Americanised and burgeoning .

Not sure what goes into a traditional rustic just'a'like'a'the'mamma'used'to'make bolognaise

http://culinariaitalia.wordpress.com/2008/06/29/ragu-alla-bolognese-authentic-recipe/

On October 17, 1982, the Bolognese chapter of the Accademia Italiana della Cucina, “after having carried out long and laborious investigations and conducted studies and research”, announced the following recipe to be the official one.

400 grams fresh tagliatelle or fettucine

300 grams minced beef – The recommended cut is thin flank aka skirt (finta cartella in Italian) but any good quality mince will do.

150 grams unsmoked pancetta — minced very finely

50 grams carrot — finely chopped or minced

50 grams celery — finely chopped or minced

50 grams onion — finely chopped or minced

30 grams triple concentrated tomato puree(if using double concentrated, increase the quantity by about a third)

1/2 glass red or white wine

180 ml fresh milk

olive oil

salt and pepper

Ingredients

350 grams beef mince

80 mls olive oil

80 mls red wine

QUICK! tomatoes are on special offer at asda, get down there

Ingredients

350 grams beef mince

80 mls olive oil

80 mls red wine

Okay, first of all I forgot to add that the author recommends topping the dish with grated Parmigiano Reggiano (Asda) and the wine I ended up with was a small 25 cl carton from Asda called Comida red wine. We also chuckled in a tub of mushrooms.

Just finished and have to say this is without doubt the best Bolognese sauce I have ever tasted. Miles better than anything I have tasted in a restaurant. Has a lovely little kick to it as well.

It is no wonder over 5000 people gave this a score of 5 out of 5.

Highly recommended.

Edited by Christmas Tree

bit like adding butter to a sauce.

Some people will cook the meat in milk before adding the tomatos/wine etc so it gets a bit of protection from all the acidic's

Yeah, I was just going to say, if there's milk involved then I assume it's at the stage where you're browning the meat. Hard to say when there's just ingredients and no method though.

Did an amazing corn beef hash last night.

2 potatoes

3 slices of corned beef

1 onion

Good handful of kurly kale

Onion salt (a recent discovery)

Smoked paprika

1 tsp hot sauce

Standard affair - boil potatoes for 8 mins, chop them up into small pieces then fry with the onion, salt, paprika, hot sauce and corned beef. Served on top of a bed of steamed kale then all finished with a fried egg on top. Plenty of ketchup on the side too. :thumbup: