Cooking

Gemmill

Buy that pre-chopped stuff in a jar, you can get garlic and ginger already virtually in a paste, find it in most supermarkets. If you then chop the onion as finely as possiblem the final effect wont be too bad.

Add a bit of salt & crush it (garlic and ginger) with a broad knife on a chopping board. Paste presto.

Just remember to leave salt out of the recipe, as it's already in the paste.

Anyone got any recommendations for pork fillet recipes. Fancy a change from garlic, rosemary and White wine sauce.

Just made this up, delicious and extremely healthy;

15 minute veggie paella.

First chop an onion, 3 celery sticks and 10 large mushrooms and place in lightly oiled (spray fry) pan on low heat.

Boil the kettle and put a cup full of rice in the bottom of a large plastic dish - a big tupperware type. Add 2 cups boiling water to this and microwave for 6 minutes, you want a tiny bit of crunch.

Stir through the mix on the pan until celery begins to soften then add 1 tin chopped tomatoes, one fresh chilli, two cloves garlic, 2ish whole star anise, 1 tsp marjoram. Allow to simmer and reduce over a medium heat.

Find some beans, I strained and rinsed a tin of baked beans but chick peas or kiddlers would be good. Hoy those in mix through and season/taste.

One your rice is ready there should be almost no water left in it but strain if necessary.

Mix rice through pan, allow a minute or two for further reduction.

Should serve about 4 with crusty bread.

Chow down.

Just made this up, delicious and extremely healthy;

15 minute veggie paella.

First chop an onion, 3 celery sticks and 10 large mushrooms and place in lightly oiled (spray fry) pan on low heat.

Boil the kettle and put a cup full of rice in the bottom of a large plastic dish - a big tupperware type. Add 2 cups boiling water to this and microwave for 6 minutes, you want a tiny bit of crunch.

Stir through the mix on the pan until celery begins to soften then add 1 tin chopped tomatoes, one fresh chilli, two cloves garlic, 2ish whole star anise, 1 tsp marjoram. Allow to simmer and reduce over a medium heat.

Find some beans, I strained and rinsed a tin of baked beans but chick peas or kiddlers would be good. Hoy those in mix through and season/taste.

One your rice is ready there should be almost no water left in it but strain if necessary.

Mix rice through pan, allow a minute or two for further reduction.

Should serve about 4 with crusty bread.

Chow down.

Might serve this up at the veggie cafe, looks nice and summery! :lol:

"Open fridge, throw everthing in a pan, boil, simmer, serve" :lol:

Am not a fan of celery but celeriac is alright. Not even sure what the difference is.

Was it that obvious!

All veg interchangeable in this dish, as you say - what's in the fridge (onion and mushroom are good foundations though), the subtlety comes from the flavouring. Black olives would be good too.

Celeriac is more or less turnip with essence of celery.

I love star anise mind, think it is a typecast spice. Gay as that sentence may be.

Edited by trophyshy

Might serve this up at the veggie cafe, looks nice and summery! :lol:

Nice one, is the cafe in Notts Brock?

Yup, smack bang in the middle of Lenton. :death:

''reet am bent''

Good for you mate. :razz:

Shouldn't that be Lentilton?

I've had the steak from Blagdon several times. It is absolutely top notch. They also sell Northumbrian cheese, which I think is made just along the road- the Garlic Cheddar is gorgeous.

There's a butchers in Whitley Bay, Nicholson's on Park View, which also does superb meat. I'd definitely recommend it, and it's a bit closer to Shields than Blagdon.

Ewans up in West Monkseaton at the roundabout is quality an all, all his stuff is local sourced. Lad I knew worked there for a while, reckoned Ewan used to pick his beef when they were still in the field.

Farm to Freeze in Wooler is superb as well and hell of a lot cheaper than Blagdon (if further away).

• 2 weeks later...