Cooking

Gemmill

And in other news, has anyone tried these colmans season and shake recipes.

season_and_shake.png

Had the mediterranean vegetable one last night using a bag of Asda Mediterranean vegetables and couldnt believe they cooked perfectly in the microwave in 5 minutes or how tasty they are.

They do quite a range. Anyone had any of the others.

503%5C8712566489503%5CIDShot_225x225.jpg

Microwaveable veg is rancid.

Last's night dinner was a semi-improvised affair involving ultra-cheap dover sole from the Sainsbury's reduced aisle served in a creamy crab sauce. Very very nice, but I suspect the house may smell of fish until November. :(

Used to be my favourite food when I was a someone, dover sole. :( Used to get it in all the nice restaurants :crying:

Had it recently at an Italian in Leicester sq and it was crap.

Used to be my favourite food when I was a someone, dover sole. :( Used to get it in all the nice restaurants :crying:

Had it recently at an Italian in Leicester sq and it was crap.

Neither of these preclude my approach (two for £1 from the shop, cook them properly at home). :)

I tried one of those season & shake things for chicken when they first came out and they were on half-price. Not bad at all, for that kind of thing - the meat stayed nice and juicy - but easy enough to do the same thing yourself (with much less salt) with a bit of effort.

Think I tried the chicken one like Meenzer and even though it was ok it's much easier to make your own version and it's tastier too.

Also I tried the sausage casserole one which didn't do anything for me at all.

Looking forward to getting some pumpkin recipies and squash recipies made now they are here :)

Neither of these are particularly complex or necessarily the best thing you can do with squashes, but both are spot on for those chilly autumnal evenings. :) Replace the chilli powder in the first one with a chopped chilli pepper (added at stage 2) if you like more of a kick.

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/5302/spicy-butternut-squash-soup

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1456/roasted-squash-and-red-onion-pasta

Neither of these are particularly complex or necessarily the best thing you can do with squashes, but both are spot on for those chilly autumnal evenings. :) Replace the chilli powder in the first one with a chopped chilli pepper (added at stage 2) if you like more of a kick.

http://www.bbcgoodfo...nut-squash-soup

http://www.bbcgoodfo...red-onion-pasta

Canny

I have River Cottage Veg and the squash filled with cheese and leeks is gorgeous.

Here's a little tip for any of you that like hot apple.

Get a large plate that will fit into a microwave and place a Bramleys cooking apple on it, stork side up. Put the microwave on and watch the volcano.

It doesn't splatter about, it just oozes from the top of the skin and you end up with hot apple sauce. Try it, I promise you it works.

For those of you that like Fray Bentos pies but are pissed off with the sloppy underneath, I have the solution for you, if you are prepared to take the time to do it and it works.

You open the pie as normal, then put it in the freezer for 15 minutes.

Once you take it out, you go round the outer edge of the pie all the way round, then tip the pie upside down onto a buttered plate or greased, whichever you prefer and put it in the oven upside down for 10 minutes.

Then you take it out and , using a fish slice or similar, you turn the pie over and cook for 15 more minutes, then hey presto, a lovely pie.

It's a bit of a fuck on but worth it if you like the pies.

Make sure the top of the pie is semi solid when you take it out of the freezer.

Here's a quick tip for you and it's lush (and healthy ;) )

2 chicken breasts, rub in a little coconut oil, sprinkle piri piri seasoning (Jamie Oliver little packet). Wrap in silver foil. Stick in George Forman grill.

Done.

Makes lush chicken AND the grill just needs a quick wipe afterwards ;)

Quality.

Here you go then.

Piece of fish, ( haddock, salmon, tuna , whatever)

Put it on a square of foil , big enough to make a roomy parcel, finely chop some garlic, ginger,red chilli sprinkle it on, zest a lime over it, little dash of soy sauce, little splash of white wine or Mirin if you've got any, bit of Hoi Sin or Teryaki depending on what you've got. , fold up the parcel and put it in the oven at 200c fur about 8-10 mins ( depending on the size of the fish.

Boom!

Have it with steamed green beans and steamed rice.

Cutting grapes in half and microwaving the pieces side-by-side makes for some cool plasma show.

Oh, um...two chicken breasts, smack them flat with a pan. BOOM. Season both sides with paprika, oregano, onion salt. FIZZOW. Fry both sides 3-4 mins each way (depends how much of a girl you were when you hit 'em). WAZZOCK. Serve that shit up with some potatoes that've been cubed up, boiled for 10 mins then fried until crispy. OPPA GANGAM STYLE. Green beans too. STEAM THEM.

:smack: