Cooking

Gemmill

Baba GhanOOOOOOOSH!

ever made it? simple as and lush to dip stuff in. basically, burn the skins off the aubergine on the gass hob like you would with a pepper. then peel skins off and mix pulp up with generous amounts of mayo, lemon juice and a clove of finely chopped fresh garlic.

only problem is the burnt aubergines stink the house out for a day or two.

Some tea suggestions please :)

Going to do some Foreman chicken breasts, some mediterranean vegetables and ???

Want to avoid potatoes so was thinking of doing either some pasta, noodles or rice. The easy option is Batchelors savoury rice, however is there anything else fairly straightforward I could knock together to go with it.

Want to avoid anything in a sauce.

Ah the old classic, mediterranean noodles.

I made some jam yesterday. Piece of piss. Wanted to find a recipe that didn't use loads of sugar (most jam recipes contain more sugar than fruit. Anyway, found one that consisted of the following:

3 cups of berries (I used a mix of blueberries, raspberries and blackberries - you can get this all frozen in big bags in Costco and it works out canny cheap)

3/4 cup of honey

2 tablespoons of lemon juice

Stick all that in a pan and boil until it starts to thicken (15-25 minutes). Then stick it in a jar - that makes enough for a normal sized jam jar. It'll last a couple of weeks in the fridge. Anyway, it tastes great.

Some tea suggestions please :)

Going to do some Foreman chicken breasts, some mediterranean vegetables and ???

Want to avoid potatoes so was thinking of doing either some pasta, noodles or rice. The easy option is Batchelors savoury rice, however is there anything else fairly straightforward I could knock together to go with it.

Want to avoid anything in a sauce.

For pasta (any type, though spaghetti works well): while it's cooking, hoy a couple of gloops of olive oil into a small frying pan. Once it's heated, chuck in some crushed garlic and some red chillies (either deseeded/chopped fresh ones or crushed dried ones) to taste and cook slowly for a couple of minutes - the garlic wants to be golden but not brown. Pop your drained pasta back in the saucepan over the lowest heat, stir through the oil/garlic/chilli mix, then serve once nicely coated.

For pasta (any type, though spaghetti works well): while it's cooking, hoy a couple of gloops of olive oil into a small frying pan. Once it's heated, chuck in some crushed garlic and some red chillies (either deseeded/chopped fresh ones or crushed dried ones) to taste and cook slowly for a couple of minutes - the garlic wants to be golden but not brown. Pop your drained pasta back in the saucepan over the lowest heat, stir through the oil/garlic/chilli mix, then serve once nicely coated.

That sounds very nice. (And easy and not saucy -- we'll done) :lol:

Thanks

Ah the old classic, mediterranean noodles.

I made some jam yesterday. Piece of piss. Wanted to find a recipe that didn't use loads of sugar (most jam recipes contain more sugar than fruit. Anyway, found one that consisted of the following:

3 cups of berries (I used a mix of blueberries, raspberries and blackberries - you can get this all frozen in big bags in Costco and it works out canny cheap)

3/4 cup of honey

2 tablespoons of lemon juice

Stick all that in a pan and boil until it starts to thicken (15-25 minutes). Then stick it in a jar - that makes enough for a normal sized jam jar. It'll last a couple of weeks in the fridge. Anyway, it tastes great.

You just reminded me of walking through the dene that runs between Sluice and Holywell, picking berries with my mam and sisters when we were proper little. Like 6 or 7 or something. Then having the jam she made on home made scones later. :good:

I grew up in a Roald Dahl book :lol:

Among anti-Semites and paedophile giants? :dunno:

Explains my chronic distrust of Parky and Peasepud

(I hope this post doesn't need a safety wink)

Edited by The Fish

Hell yeah; a classic. You forgot to mention to add a healthy size handful of grated parmasan on top though.

I like it with linguini, garlic and chilli mic clings to the pasta a bit more than spaghetti

Just chicken stock, nothing else? Sounds nice that, will have to try it.

I did Lentils last week, lardons, carrots and an onion pricked with a few cloves. Traditional.

I ended up using that recipe as more of a guide- simmered the lentils in stock for about 15 mins.

Didn't have a sauté pan in the digs, so browned the chicken ( used thighs) in olive oil, with diced red onion and carrot, added garlic at te end, then white wine.

Lifted the chicken out, reduced the wine, added the lentil and stock from the pan, and added the lemon zest.

Chicken back in, squeeze of lemon, and in the oven for 20 mins.

Added the parsley for the last 5 minutes of cooking.

Served with a couple of baguettes.

Was lush.

I might try the recipe as stated at home, but tonight's effort is definately getting cooked again.

Made a frankly heroic sausage casserole tonight. Nothing flashy, just dead good ingredients - quality meaty Cumberlands, piles of slowly caramelised onions, and carrots and spuds from the local wanky farmers' market. Autumn? What autumn?

Made a frankly heroic sausage casserole tonight. Nothing flashy, just dead good ingredients - quality meaty Cumberlands, piles of slowly caramelised onions, and carrots and spuds from the local wanky farmers' market. Autumn? What autumn?

You just sorted what I'll make for the housemates' dinner on Thursday :good:

Knocked up one of the tastiest pasta dishes I have ever made yesterday during an empty cupboard rush tea.

Cooked pasta given a dollop of olive oil, a couple of spoons of pesto, a tin of tuna and a bag of birds eye frozen veg (carrots, beans and peas).

Quick mix together and voila!

Just made a lush lunch :)

Bag of Tilda sun dried tomato rice.

Tin of tuna (line court in the Maldives ;) )

Cherry toms and mushrooms microwaved for 2 mins.

Spoonful of Sun dried tomato pesto.

All mixed in a bowl.

Healthy and delicious.

(And 30 mins on the treadmill).

yzu5ate9.jpg