Cooking

Gemmill

Had a rather nice veggie lunch.

Boiled the potato, carrot and broccoli - 10 mins, 7 mins and 5 mins in the same pot. Then sauteed potato and carrot together for 10 mins then added celery and broccoli. Bit of soy sauce, then paprika, mixed herbs and garlic tossed through. Topped off with a few slices of haloumi and hoyed under the grill.

Surprisingly filling!

Now there's a chicken in the oven. Rubbed the fucker all over with butter and herbs. Should give a nice gravy!

Having a bit of a "let's cobble something together from what's in the freezer/cupboard" meal tonight, which is turning out to be a spiced chicken, borlotti bean and spinach stew. Not remotely aesthetically pleasing, but the smell as it's bubbling away - somewhere between a curry and a chilli - is pleasing enough. :good:

sam0773b.jpg

Aaaand there we go. Not particularly pretty to look at, but a perfect winter warmer. Was still a bit thin as serving time approached, so I added a tin of adzuki beans near the end.

I have a load of scones, cream, various crisps, ice cream and alcohol to use up before the big health kick tomorrow.

It's gonna have to be a late night as I haven't even had tea yet (chicken chasseur in honour of our new recruits).

The big health kick. :lol: I look forward to a week of photos of piles of iceberg lettuce, followed by a return to current form.

Just made a really nice pearl barley broth from the River Cottage Veg book. It had a big pinch of cayenne pepper in which gave it a nice kick. Finished off with buttered rye and linseed bread.

Your fears are correct. I made a soup with the really low salt ones a couple of weeks ago, and it was fairly bland as a result - I've made the same soup before with the full salt cubes, so had something to compare to.

The pearl barley thing I've just made was with their full salt ones and that was spot on - incredible the difference in taste when you don't use them though, so I can only imagine how much salt is in them. I was gonna make a veg stock from scratch cos there's a recipe for one in the River Cottage book, but couldn't be chewed in the end.

Aye, I'm considering giving them a try anyway, even the full salt ones - it's not as if they cost that much more really. Plus I suppose with the low-salt ones, there are some dishes where you're adding other salty ingredients and it doesn't matter as much if the stock is a bit blander, whereas something like a veggie soup it makes sense you'd really notice the difference.

It literally is Feast or Famine for CT isn't it?

"I've got scones and cream and chicken Chassuer to use up"

Use up ffs :lol:

Honestly as bad as my sisters

As I have stated many times, peanut butter is the work of the devil and looks like baby's nappy poo.

I served up some salmon yesterday with a side dish of roughly mashed potato, swede, carrot and savoy cabbage. It was likened to baby food and vomit almost as soon as it hit the table. The meal did not recover. :lol:

The thing is the amount of really good advice Christmas Tree has had off people on here in the past and he just keeps on chosing to ignore it saying he knows best etc yet never sticks to anything. :lol:

Make sure you cut out the bread though are you are fucked.

The thing is the amount of really good advice Christmas Tree has had off people on here in the past and he just keeps on chosing to ignore it saying he knows best etc yet never sticks to anything. :lol:

Make sure you cut out the bread though are you are fucked.

Bread is on the banned list along with Alcohol and takeaways.

An while Im committed to getting some weight off, can I just say that some of super fit freaks are only setting yourself up for years of misery in later life. All sounds good in your 20's and 30's all this nibbling nuts and taking care of yourself, but as someone who drives lots of retired people around every day, its no barrel of laughs living a long time.

Constantly attending Funerals or hospital appointments.

No bowel control so back to nappies.

Alcohol just makes you piss all night.

Erectile disfunction (As if you could really be bothered anyway).

Highlight of the week songs of praise.

Constantly moaning about how better things were back in the day.

Virtually no money to maintain a decent lifestyle.

Oh yeah, lets have some of that ;)

You going to post up your daily food intake then? Being serious btw. Not to take the piss out of you but to genuinely gain advice from others.

There's nobody on here really in a position to give me advice though.

When you've seen what I've seen, been where I've been, eaten what Ive eaten.....Then and only then could you possible comprehend the sort of advice I need.

When you've seen what I've seen, been where I've been, eaten what Ive eaten.....Then and only then could you possible comprehend the sort of advice I need.

Drama queen! :lol:

I had to go to intensive care last night to help them move a 32 stone man. There's your incentive right there to not eat crap.

:lol: What a load of tosh.