Cooking

Gemmill

I usually do, however the recipe that I was loosely working from said not.

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1940689/beef-and-vegetable-casserole-

Throw that recipe in the bin man.

Brown the meat with garlic and a dash of garam masala first...Then add a cup of red wine and a spoon of sherry vinegar...This mix tenderises the meat...Never add salt till after the water and the slow simmer stage as it brings all the fluid out of the meat.

Edited by Park Life

Throw that recipe in the bin man.

Brown the meat with garlic and a dash of garam masala first...Then add a cup of red wine and a spoon of sherry vinegar...This mix tenderises the meat...Never add salt till after the water and the slow simmer stage as it brings all the fluid out of the meat.

I feel like starting again :lol:

Next time!

That reminds me - there was a massive crisis on my Aer Lingus flight last week because they ran out of scones. :o Everybody kept asking for them, and for some reason the "nearest" alternatives offered by the cabin crew - "We do have shortbread or Tayto?" - didn't cut it. At one point I was quite sure there'd be a passenger mutiny and we'd be headed straight back to Dublin to restock.

There's no right or wrong way to make a beef stew.

Well, there is a wrong way if you don't brown the meat first. It gives added colour and flavour. Don't crown the pan otherwise the meat will boil in its own juice rather than start to caramelise.

:lol: Just a curry, but he never cooks and when he does we tend to end up hurling insults and/or spatulas at each other. As such I'm welcoming the fact that things are a bit korma tonight. B)

From The Guardian feature on Britain's spiciest dishes.

"The Widower, Lincolnshire

While preparing the Widower, a chicken curry at the Bindi Indian restaurant in Grantham, chefs wear goggles and a protective face mask. The ingredients, as displayed on the restaurant's website, include 20 of their own "Infinity" naga chillies, 10 fresh finger chillies, five scotch bonnet chillies, a tablespoon of chilli powder and a drop of chilli extract. Nobody had ever finished a portion until consultant radiologist (and daredevil) Ian Rothwell managed it in January last year. "It took Mr Rothwell just over an hour," said Muhammed Karim, the restaurant's boss, "but that included a 10-minute walk down Grantham High Street when he started hallucinating."

:lol: