Cooking

Gemmill

Made lamb & mint sausages with mash, sauteed cabbage, carrots & raisin, with minted sweet onion gravy. Fancy pants! pic.twitter.com/9hbgXUu0fZ

BgIqHifCYAA3dxL.jpg

Latest from my foray into the twittersphere.

This was pretty damn nice, except I had to make do with jumbo bloody raisins because I'd run out of sultanas. The lamb and mint sausages are from M&S and they're brilliant.

Gravy recipe (because it was awesome):

10g butter

1 large tsp sweet onion chutney

1 large tsp mint sauce

1 tsp ketchup

pinch salt (as pictured)

beef stock

Hoy the butter in a pan and melt it on a low heat. Spoon in the chutney and mint sauce, combining everything together.

Squeeze in the ketchup and salt. Combine. (Note at this stage, if you want a runnier gravy then carry on. If you want it a little bit thicker, whisk in a spoon of plain flour to make a roux. Whisk it furiously though so you don't get mini dumplingy lumps in your gravy. Add in stock slowly until you get the right consistency)

Slowly pour in stock until you get the right gravy. Let it simmer a while for all the flavour to come together.

Comes out sweet and tangy, perfect for anything lamb and way too easy.

I made a curry with Azuki or Adzuki beans on sunday. Onions, garlic, ginger whizzed in the machine, fried then added spices then added the beans. Very nice, apparently they are used in desserts in Japan but went well with spices.

I think i will use as a side dish next time i do a proper curry.

Just whipped up a natty avocado salad with cucumber, red onion, garlic, lime juice and coriander...

...then remembered I'm supposed to be fasting because I've got a blood test first thing in the morning. :doh:

Says 11-16 hours on the form. The walk-in centre's open till 11am or thereabouts, but I'm best getting it out of the way ASAP work-wise, i.e. as soon as they open at 8. Knowing my GP it's not unfeasible that he's just taking the piss, but hey. :lol:

All that having been said, and not that I intend to be a naughty rule-breaker this time, I presume you don't need to follow these things too closely really...

Made this, that you're supposed to have with mackerel, but subbed the fish sauce for soy sauce and had it over George Forman grilled chicken breast with lettuce, peppers and cherry tomatoes.

• 1 large red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
  • 1 small garlic clove, finely chopped
  • small knob fresh root ginger, finely chopped
  • 2 tsp honey
  • finely grated zest and juice of 2 lime
  • 1 tsp sesame oil
  • 1 tsp Thai fish sauce

Might have it over Sea Bass or tuna steak next time, not sure if the Soy sauce worked as well as I'd like.

Cooking some beef mince in reggae reggae cooking sauce (I normally try to avoid jars of sauces but I love this) and a bit of beer added. Student staple of mine for 4 years.

Serving up with quinoa cooked in beer & beef stock.

Had a cheeky taste of the quinoa and it's pretty great. Needed a little slug of balsamic vinegar to take the bitterness edge off, but otherwise a hefty side.

The rest of that parsnip glut, incidentally, went into a curry with chick peas, okra, spinach, peppers and whatever else was kicking about in the veggie drawer. The sweetness of the parsnips counterbalances the spices really well, but like with any good veggie curry, the seeds - cumin and yellow and black mustard seeds in this case - are the true heroes. Mouth-popping goodness!

I'm having my kitchen redone so all I've been eating for tea the last two weeks is salad, takeaways, microwaved eggs and veg and microwave meals. CT would be proud but it's starting to do my heed in.

I'm having my kitchen redone so all I've been eating for tea the last two weeks is salad, takeaways, microwaved eggs and veg and microwave meals. CT would be proud but it's starting to do my heed in.

2 weeks?? They're fleecing you for labour there mind! Mine took about 4 days and that included relaying the floor, plastering, tiling and fitting it.

That said I'm sure we are being fleeced on labour, this being London, and that.

Tell them to fuck off and move back home. It'll save you thousands and your patter will improve tenfold.

:good:

;)

Speaking of which, the (ahem) "Devil's Fennel" recipe from the Silver Spoon is ace. You take a jar of anchovies in oil and slow-fry them (with a few slugs of olive oil extra) until they've broken down, then add a few fennel bulbs chopped into wedges, some Dijon mustard and white wine vinegar. Cover and cook until the fennel's nice and tender, then add a healthy dash or five of lemon juice, stir and serve. Works lovely as a side dish to something fishy (and really takes the overpowering sharp edge off the flavour of the fennel).

Somewhat improbably, this works even better using a couple of tins of supermarket sardines in tomato sauce (!) instead of the anchovies. Gives a lovely meaty texture to the dish. :naughty:

• 2 weeks later...