Cooking

Gemmill

I think I've had salt and chilli prawns once, and actually that was nice. Might give it a go next time I get Chinese. I will fuck you up if I waste a perfectly good takeaway on it though.

Having a bit of a Chinese themed night tonight.

Currently have ribs on the go.

eza5yqa8.jpg

This will be followed by salt and pepper chicken using this recipe.

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2013/may/09/how-make-perfect-salt-pepper-squid

Except with chicken not squid.

And also some egg fried rice which appears to be going wrong. (Chinese takeaway on speed dial).

Did you use fridge cold rice for your fried rice CT? if didn't then it would go wrong.

Did you use fridge cold rice for your fried rice CT? if didn't then it would go wrong.

It's a tough one Ausman.

Wanted to do it properly and use fridge cooled long grain rice. Most recipes say don't stir as this causes starch to be released making rice too sticky.

1st attempt, didn't stir = burnt pan / rice.

2nd attempt did stir = clumpy sticky rice.

3rd attempt rang takeaway = spot on!

Not too sure where I went wrong.... Bigger pan?

The sticky clumpy stuff is still in the fridge but I assume when it's in that state it's not much use.

It's a tough one Ausman.

Wanted to do it properly and use fridge cooled long grain rice. Most recipes say don't stir as this causes starch to be released making rice too sticky.

1st attempt, didn't stir = burnt pan / rice.

2nd attempt did stir = clumpy sticky rice.

3rd attempt rang takeaway = spot on!

Not too sure where I went wrong.... Bigger pan?

The sticky clumpy stuff is still in the fridge but I assume when it's in that state it's not much use.

Have to stir, otherwise you don't coat rice evenly in the oil to get it slightly crunchy. If you don't use cold rice it will go gluey, with out fail.

Monkeys Fist, on 14 Jul 2014 - 09:16 AM, said:

Recipe please , including so called weights.

Two large chicken breasts.

4 carrots peeled and sliced.

2 medium leeks stripped and chopped.

Half a tea spoon of basil.

4 oxo's that crumble easily.

salt and pepper, your preference.

Gravy thickener, bisto or whatever you like.

Put all this stuff in a big casserole dish and the oven on gas mark owt you like for as long as you think. Half an hour before you think you've gave it enough time, hoy in your dumplings and cover them from 15 minutes, then take off the lid so they brown up for the last 15/20 mins.

2lb of new potatoes, Lincolns, Jerseys, Moroccan, Egyptian or whatever takes your fancy.

You don't have to go to Lincoln or Jersey or owt like that. Yourlocal supermarket or green grocer will have them delivered to them for ease of buying.

One Primo cabbage or spring cabbage or whatever cabbage you fancy,

Atora suet or ready mixed suet. Follow instructions or basically add water until you get a tight mix, then just spoon out a blob at a time and hoy them into yur dish.

Once made serve to your family who will eat it all up and say, "mmmmm, that was fantastic." Then go and piss yourself up trying to do the washing up, especially cleaning out the casserole dish.

Once done. Wipe the sweat off your head and sit down to watch TV with a nice magnum lolly . Job done.

Have to stir, otherwise you don't coat rice evenly in the oil to get it slightly crunchy. If you don't use cold rice it will go gluey, with out fail.

Oil?

No I boiled the rice first (to then cool and stir fry later). It's during the boiling where you don't stir and it burns or you do and you release the starch causing sticky clumpy rice.

If you want to boil rice without it becoming stodgy, boil two pans of hot water. Put your rice in one pan for 10 minutes, then immediately drain, then rinse with cold water and drain again.

Add rice to the second pan of hot water and cook as required, then you get perfect rice.

Put all this stuff in a big casserole dish and the oven on gas mark owt you like for as long as you think. Half an hour before you think you've gave it enough time, hoy in your dumplings and cover them from 15 minutes, then take off the lid so they brown up for the last 15/20 mins.

2lb of new potatoes, Lincolns, Jerseys, Moroccan, Egyptian or whatever takes your fancy.

You don't have to go to Lincoln or Jersey or owt like that. Yourlocal supermarket or green grocer will have them delivered to them for ease of buying.

Atora suet or ready mixed suet. Follow instructions or basically add water until you get a tight mix, then just spoon out a blob at a time and hoy them into yur dish.

Once made serve to your family who will eat it all up and say, "mmmmm, that was fantastic." Then go and piss yourself up trying to do the washing up, especially cleaning out the casserole dish.

Once done. Wipe the sweat off your head and sit down to watch TV with a nice magnum lolly . Job done.

Oxo's AND gravy thickner. Lordy!

Oil?

No I boiled the rice first (to then cool and stir fry later). It's during the boiling where you don't stir and it burns or you do and you release the starch causing sticky clumpy rice.

Oh for fucks sake CT, of course you boil the rice first, then you let it go cold in the fridge, preferably overnight. If you cook a lot rice regularly then invest in a rice cooker you get perfect rice every time.

Ant, on 14 Jul 2014 - 11:48 AM, said:

lol aye, gravy thickener is called "corn flour"

Bisto is just gravy :lol:

it's like adding instant coffee to a pot of coffee to thicken it up lol

Bisto is a thickener and a gravy. I'm a top chef in my own mind, so I think I know what I might be possibly, maybe talking about. :closedeyes:

Whoosh