Cooking

Gemmill

CT oblivious to the difference roasting has on food to microwaving.

Sauté - I'll just use the microwave

Grill - microwave should he the same, shouldn't it.

Fry - yes, I will fry these. In the microwave.

:lol:

When oh when will you people learn.......

From the experts....

" Microwaving fresh beets preserves more nutrients and is much quicker than any other cooking method".

Fuck me, god forbid you ever get an illness. "Nope, Doc, Mumsnet says this is just a rash, not leprosy. It'll clear in 4-6 days. What a quack"

Honestly lads you are all behind the times :lol:

Microwaving veg is quicker, cooks the veg more evenly and leaves it with much more vitamins and nutrients than other cooking methods.

I can back this up with reports from mumsnet to Harvard. What have you got? ;)

We've all heard about how microwaving food removes some nutritional value, but is it true? Is something bad happening to our food behind that microwave glass?

The verdict: If you do it right, cooking food in the microwave is one of the best ways to retain your food's vitamins and minerals

There are dangers to microwaving your food. You could get scalded, for one. If you use the wrong kind of plastic (hint: one that doesn't say "microwave safe"), unhealthy chemicals could seep into your food.

But if you're concerned about getting the most nutrition out of your eats, microwaving is a safe bet. In fact, it's near the top of the list for nutritionally sound food-preparation methods. If you use your microwave with a small amount of water to essentially steam food from the inside, you'll retain more vitamins and minerals than with almost any other cooking method.

upwave: Cook yourself sexy

"Whenever you cook food, you'll have some loss of nutrients," says registered dietician and certified food scientist Catherine Adams Hutt. "The best cooking method for retaining nutrients is one that cooks quickly, exposes food to heat for the smallest amount of time and uses only a minimal amount of liquid."

Guess what? Microwave cooking does that.

Consider spinach. Boil it on the stove, and it can lose up to 70% of its folic acid. Microwave it with just a little water, and you'll retain nearly all its folic acid.

Listen fellas, I flipping did roast the first lot. Microwave was test two. I have two beetroots left.

I am however of the opinion that warm beetroot is nowt special, which is probably why 99% of them end up in a jar.

Indeed this is no sweet potato.

If experts tell me to roast something and I ruined it, I wouldn't blame the technique, I'd blame the technician... Me.

Lots of wailing but nothing to back it up, yup ;)

Pretty sure I pointed you in the way of at least 5 reputable websites.

Just be honest man, you're too lazy to commit to learn how to cook properly so beep beep ping is the only thing you'll ever do.

so he said to make three types of potato in it then to use a grill/oven to finish it anyway :lol:

aye ct case and point there.

"Its good technology for cooking fish" -- Jamie Oliver.

Remember when I said that a few weeks back :lol:

Just take the beating boys, suck it up and for once, admit that I'm right. Just once ;)

Hate to say it but CT is correct on this one. Microwaving vegetables (basically steaming) is probably the most healthy method there is and can be delicious too. It's a fallacy that because it's convenient it must be bad. Seems to be a massive amount of weird snobbery backed by ignorance on this subject for some reason.

Not sure about your argument specifically Meenzer but it definitely seems to be the case for a lot of posters. Gemmill has a brand new kitchen without a microwave for instance. Dunno if it's something to do with interfering with his pacemaker but I just find that a luddite attitude.

I wouldn't go without a microwave in my kitchen either, I just wouldn't warm up some beetroot in it then use that as "evidence" that roasting doesn't work even though I didn't actually like the microwaved beetroot.

Damn. CT is good at this. :(

Listen cuntface, I have no microwave cos they're unnecessary - the only time I miss the microwave is when I want to reheat a cuppa, but I have simply evolved to a point where I do not allow anyone to disturb me whilst drinking a cuppa now. AND whilst a microwave can produce the exact same results as steaming veg can, steaming veg is the most unimaginative and boring way of preparing it.

And as a medical man you should know that the pacemaker microwave thing is a myth.