Cooking

Gemmill

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

In honour of the departed tubster from Boldon. Made this dry rub pulled pork yesterday, was in the oven for 5 hours and turned out absolutely amazing. Having the leftovers in a wrap for my lunch today. :D

e3b8a8fb85bd3e42b154e1a6f785b7da.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Improbable but successful side dish tonight, new potatoes and sautéed leeks in a dressing of Dijon mustard, white wine vinegar, gherkins and tarragon, topped with crumbled feta cheese. Sounds like a right old mishmash of random flavours but it was dead nice. Though that might just have been in contrast to the, erm, slightly potent smoked mackerel that it accompanied. :D

Not cooking exactly but food-related. There's a really nice pizza place that opened recently at Four Lane Ends. It's really just a takeawy place, although there's a few small seats to eat inside. It sells it by the slice or does 12" ones to take away. Does nice coffee too. The bloke was preparing the dough fresh when I was in and they're actually Italian, believe it or not. Either that or the bloke and the wife who run are engaging in an elaborate ruse. It's next door to the Sunlight Dry Cleaners for those in the vicinity. Don't think they have a website or owt. It's about £5 for a Margherita and £7-ish for the other ones.

I fucking love pizza so I got quite excited when I found out it was nice :lol: As most places flog greasy shit in the Newcastle area.

I can come round any time. ;)

It sounds strange but to actually make them like they do over there you actually use a cast iron pan to fry the base in, then after a couple of minutes put your sauce and toppings on then finish under the grill.

It's something to do with how our conventional ovens obviously can't generate the required heat like the wood fired ones, so the closest thing to replicate that heat is to fry them first on a cast iron dish. That way the base is nice and crispy (neeeee soggy bottoms) but still stays nice and fluffy on the inside.

Gawd I'm boring.

I can come round any time. ;)

It sounds strange but to actually make them like they do over there you actually use a cast iron pan to fry the base in, then after a couple of minutes put your sauce and toppings on then finish under the grill.

It's something to do with how our conventional ovens obviously can't generate the required heat like the wood fired ones, so the closest thing to replicate that heat is to fry them first on a cast iron dish. That way the base is nice and crispy (neeeee soggy bottoms) but still stays nice and fluffy on the inside.

Gawd I'm boring.

Might have to get that book. I've heard of doing them in the frying pan before as it happens.

Couldn't believe how animated you lot got over pizza when we went for that meal the other week :lol: Guess we'll have to find another little Italian restaurant for the next one.

Couldn't believe how animated you lot got over pizza when we went for that meal the other week :lol: Guess we'll have to find another little Italian restaurant for the next one.

Shaddap you face