Cooking

Gemmill

Im impressed there are so many of you who enjoy cooking. I enjoy it if I'm doing something new or something I've invented, but generally when you've cooked a meal most nights for a family since you were 18 its becomes abit of a chore ;)

Tonight will be simples, smoked haddock with alittle butter and black pepper wrapped in foil and baked in the oven with crushed new potatoes with Rosemary and peas.

I honestly never use jars of pasta sauces. It's really so easy to chuck tomatoes/puree/onions/basil/garlic/mushrooms together and make your own.

I've just had cheese on toast. Toast was a frankly ridiculous choice given the state of my tonsils today.

I honestly never use jars of pasta sauces. It's really so easy to chuck tomatoes/puree/onions/basil/garlic/mushrooms together and make your own.

I've just had cheese on toast. Toast was a frankly ridiculous choice given the state of my tonsils today.

You'd have been better off with my porridge Cath ;)

Should give your own pasta sauces a go, CT. Especially as you like to dabble in the kitchen. Absolute piece of piss compared to making biscuits and the like.

Well get the recipe posted then. :lol:

Just do what Cath posted ;)

My 21 year old daughter suffered with that for years and used to get it about 6 times a year, if not more. She Finally got them out last year.

Im impressed there are so many of you who enjoy cooking. I enjoy it if I'm doing something new or something I've invented, but generally when you've cooked a meal most nights for a family since you were 18 its becomes abit of a chore ;)

Tonight will be simples, smoked haddock with alittle butter and black pepper wrapped in foil and baked in the oven with crushed new potatoes with Rosemary and peas.

spuds and rosemary are a match made in heaven

i like doing wedges roasted in the oven with garlic, salt, rosemary and chili flakes

enjoy baking more than cooking as well tbh which is a bit odd, just-roll pfffft ain't got shit on me ;)

i haven't got the patience required for baking. it's too much of an exact science with all the precision measurements, scales and fancy schmancy finishing.

cooking is more about chucking handfuls of stuff in and tasting until it's right. i enjoy that whole process much more. far less mechanical than baking.

Edited by Dr Gloom

Should give your own pasta sauces a go, CT. Especially as you like to dabble in the kitchen. Absolute piece of piss compared to making biscuits and the like.

Well get the recipe posted then. ;)

She just posted ingredients not a recipe and tbf, following Meezners reccommendation I would like to try the maestros :lol:

She just posted ingredients not a recipe and tbf, following Meezners reccommendation I would like to try the maestros :lol:

Well, Meenzer's was the Spag Bol one. It's just in me head though but you're welcome to get the pm off him if he's still got it. Re: Tomato-based pasta sauce: all you do is fry finely chopped or crushed peeled garlic cloves in olive on a low heat (so they don't burn) until they're translucent rather than browned. The amount you use is all down to taste, but I like loads. The taste is stronger if you crush the garlic though. When they're done, chuck in tinned chopped tomotoes or passata. I like the former as you have a bit of 'chunkyness' to the sauce. Alternative is rustic style passata which is like a cross between the two. Add salt and pepper to taste, some tomato puree (not much) and a little bit of sugar. Then you just cook it on a low heat so it bubbles away. The longer you cook it the better. This is just a basic sauce but you can add fresh basil, dried/fresh oregano, chillies (to make arrabiata) or add mascarpone at the end for a creamy sauce. Whatever you fancy really. If the sauce gets a bit too thick you can add a little water. Dead easy. The longer you cook it the better it tastes imo as the tomatoes start to break down and you get a more intense flavour. Check the seasoning as you go and if you add a little bit at a time it tastes nicer than chucking it all in at the end. If it seems like a fanny on remember you can make a big batch and freeze some. Honestly, you'll never look at Dolmio in the same way again.

Edited by alex

That sauce I made was waaaaay better than any jar like. Fair enough its maybe not as quick, but as far as taste goes, making your own it much better than a jar. Was still done in less than 30mins as well.

[quote name='Christmas Tree' date='Jan 26 2011, 02:55 PM' post='851252'

Well get the recipe posted then. :blush:

She just posted ingredients not a recipe and tbf, following Meezners reccommendation I would like to try the maestros ;)

See them highlighted bits?

cook off the solid bits, add the runny bits, simmer for 15-20 mins. add the herby bits

:lol:

Edit; or do what Alex told you above :angry:

Edited by Monkeys Fist

Well, Meenzer's was the Spag Bol one. It's just in me head though but you're welcome to get the pm off him if he's still got it. Re: Tomato-based pasta sauce: all you do is fry finely chopped or crushed peeled garlic cloves in olive on a low heat (so they don't burn) until they're translucent rather than browned. The amount you use is all down to taste, but I like loads. The taste is stronger if you crush the garlic though. When they're done, chuck in tinned chopped tomotoes or passata. I like the former as you have a bit of 'chunkyness' to the sauce. Alternative is rustic style passata which is like a cross between the two. Add salt and pepper to taste, some tomato puree (not much) and a little bit of sugar. Then you just cook it on a low heat so it bubbles away. The longer you cook it the better. This is just a basic sauce but you can add fresh basil, dried/fresh oregano, chillies (to make arrabiata) or add mascarpone at the end for a creamy sauce. Whatever you fancy really. If the sauce gets a bit too thick you can add a little water. Dead easy. The longer you cook it the better it tastes imo as the tomatoes start to break down and you get a more intense flavour. Check the seasoning as you go and if you add a little bit at a time it tastes nicer than chucking it all in at the end. If it seems like a fanny on remember you can make a big batch and freeze some. Honestly, you'll never look at Dolmio in the same way again.

Cheers for that Alex I'll give it a go. But I would need an approx ingredient qty for the ones in red. I appreciate its down to taste, but if you give me a starting quantity I'll change around down the line.

Finally, when you say ideal cooking time for best taste.... are you talking 15 mins, 30, 60??

Fry finely chopped or crushed peeled garlic cloves in olive on a low heat

1 Tin Chopped Tomatoes

Salt and Pepper to taste

Tomato Puree

Sugar

Cooking Time? Approx

In that case, here's my variant (i.e. 90% what Alex said in the first place):

INGREDIENTS

500g mince

One large onion, finely chopped

Several cloves of garlic, crushed (depends how much you like really)

Two peppers (any colour, though preferably one red and one green), chopped fairly finely

--

Dash or two of soy sauce

Dash or two of Worcester sauce

Black pepper

2 tsp dried mixed herbs

Couple of shakes of cinnamon

Quarter to half a tsp chilli flakes

400g tin of chopped tomatoes + 500g carton of passata (but any combination is fine really)

A few chopped up sun-dried tomatoes if you have them (or a squirt of tomato puree if not)

Glass of red wine if you have it in (and if not, why not?)

--

Handful of fresh basil, torn up (or a tsp or so of pesto)

AND THEN...

1. Fry the mince, onions, garlic and peppers on a medium heat until the mince is nicely browned. Should be no need for oil, but add a squirt of olive oil if it's sticking.

2. Add all the herbs/spices etc. and stir, then add the tomatoes/passata/wine.

3. Simmer on a low heat for as long as possible, ideally at least an hour. Add a bit of water if it's getting too thick.

4. About 10 minutes before the end, stir in the basil (or pesto). Add more seasoning to taste.

Serve as spag bol or chuck it in a lasagna in the configuration that pleases you the most. ;)

one tip on the seasoning for a tomato sauce is chuck in the salt at the end or it can muller the tomatoes

Not heard that like, always thought if you stuck the salt in at the end it tasted 'salty' (I know, obvious) rather than 'seasoned', if you catch my drift. Anyway, I'd be liable to forget. How do you mean 'mullered' though.

Cheers for that Alex I'll give it a go. But I would need an approx ingredient qty for the ones in red. I appreciate its down to taste, but if you give me a starting quantity I'll change around down the line.

Finally, when you say ideal cooking time for best taste.... are you talking 15 mins, 30, 60??

1 Tin Chopped Tomatoes

Salt and Pepper to taste

Tomato Puree

Sugar

Cooking Time? Approx

Rough guide would be one can of tomatoes for every two people. Half a teaspoon of sugar per can of toms, one teaspoon of puree per can of toms and probably two garlic cloves per can of toms (I like more but see how that goes). Hope that makes sense. Hour on a low heat is more than enough. It'll be ok after 30 mins though but like I said, the longer the better (within reason obviously).

Edited by alex

1 Tin Chopped Tomatoes

Salt and Pepper to taste

Tomato Puree

Sugar

Cooking Time? Approx

Rough guide would be one can of tomatoes for every two people. Half a teaspoon of sugar per can of toms, one teaspoon of puree per can of toms and probably two garlic cloves per can of toms (I like more but see how that goes). Hope that makes sense. Hour on a low heat is more than enough. It'll be ok after 30 mins though but like I said, the longer the better (within reason obviously).

Good stuff. I'll give that a bash, even though Ive just had similar for lunch........and then deliver my verdict!

Cheers.

Have any of heard of the wooden spoon tip?

i.e. If making tomato based sauces, use one as opposed to metal. The two metals (pan and spoon) react, tainting the sauce apparently.

Anyway, considering the minging weather today, Cottage Pie chez Fist tonight.

Have any of heard of the wooden spoon tip?

i.e. If making tomato based sauces, use one as opposed to metal. The two metals (pan and spoon) react, tainting the sauce apparently.

Anyway, considering the minging weather today, Cottage Pie chez Fist tonight.

Hadn't heard that but then again I always use a wooden spoon anyway. Another quick tip CT is you can use a potato masher to break down the tomatoes more quickly (got that off Jamie Oliver).

Jamie's a hero like. Got a lot of time for him.

I'm thinking of getting a food processor. Chopping veg is such a faff. Watching the 30 minute meals thing where he just chucks stuff in the processor and it's chopped. That's more like it.

I've got a food processor but rarely use it for chopping stuff in that context because I haven't got a dishwasher, and extra washing-up is the last thing you need given the amount of stuff that tends to pile up when you're trying to get a meal done in 30 minutes.