Cooking

Gemmill

Must... fight... Olympisches Feuer cravings...

(I have flights to Hamburg mid-February for an event that's been postponed to April. Easyjet, non-refundable. I'm tempted to come over just for an O-Feuer hit. ;) )

Let me know when you are here. :blush:

I shall. Assuming I resist the February temptation (and I will... probably), it should be the middle weekend of April. I'm sure we can squeeze in a quick slice of Törtchen at the Gnosa or something. ;)

Best tarts on the planet baby. :lol:

Alex that was bloody gorgeous. ;)

As I was cooking it Im thinking, "bloody hell its only a tin of chopped toms with a bit of salt and pepper in it", but my god it was delicious. Would say I gave it just short of an hour.

Chucked a little bit of cooked chicken at the end and just polished it off.

Even more impressive was my six year old who hates anything half healthy and detests tomatos. She asked for a try and then proceeded to polish off a plate full!!!

The wife and I just kept looking at each other as she tucked in.

4 bottles of Dolmio going cheap anyone?

Nice one. Glad you enjoyed it. Like I say it's dead easy to modify it to make a different sauce.

Well thats your next cookery lesson, to post a few varieties, particularly with cream (bye bye diet).

Also when we go to our local Italian they do a dish called chicken Alexandria. This is a chicken breast covered with a delicious creamy curry / spicey sauce containing prawns.

If anyone has a recipe for this sort of thing I would get major browny points. Hard to describe it really. Nothing like chinese or indian just a lovely thick creamy curry flavoured spicey source??????

nowt wrong with cream. seriously. too many dieters cut fat. you shouldn't fear it. your body will actually burn fat for fuel quicker than it will burn carbs. better to cut refined carbs (like white bread and pasta) and eat a little butter, cream. plus plenty of good fats like olive oil, raw nuts and seeds.

CT, another tip(hadn't noticed the photo previously as it took a while to load): Italiano-stylee is to coat the pasta in the sauce by putting the drained pasta into the sauce and stirring it in to it. Nicer that way than serving it separately. Obviously helps if you do the sauce in a nice big pan. Also like putting some good quality extra virgin olive oil onto the pasta. I.e. put the pasta into the same pan as the sauce, add the olive oil to that pasta then stir the pasta into the sauce.

CT, another tip(hadn't noticed the photo previously as it took a while to load): Italiano-stylee is to coat the pasta in the sauce by putting the drained pasta into the sauce and stirring it in to it. Nicer that way than serving it separately. Obviously helps if you do the sauce in a nice big pan. Also like putting some good quality extra virgin olive oil onto the pasta. I.e. put the pasta into the same pan as the sauce, add the olive oil to that pasta then stir the pasta into the sauce.

:lol:

Aye, thats the way we normally do it. Just left it like that for photo effect.

Must think we're right heathens in Boldon ;) (dont answer).

;)

Aye, thats the way we normally do it. Just left it like that for photo effect.

Must think we're right heathens in Boldon ;) (dont answer).

:blush: I didn't mean to be patronising :lol:

adding posh olive oil at the end after you've cooked the sauce is lush. i sue cheap extra virgin olive oil to fry the onions and garlic then a glug of the young posh stuff at the end

For the pasta sauce, based on that one I tried, I'd definately recommend thinly slicing in a medium chilli (pips removed ofc and added with the onions etc at the start) and then grating in some lemon zest (about 1/4) and squeezing some juice in to the sauce (near the end). It freshens up the sauce and you can hardly tell the chilli is there bar a slight aftertaste. Worth a shot anyway.

For the pasta sauce, based on that one I tried, I'd definately recommend thinly slicing in a medium chilli (pips removed ofc and added with the onions etc at the start) and then grating in some lemon zest (about 1/4) and squeezing some juice in to the sauce (near the end). It freshens up the sauce and you can hardly tell the chilli is there bar a slight aftertaste. Worth a shot anyway.

interesting. i've never made a tomato-based sauce with lemon juice before. isn't it super acidic?

interesting. i've never made a tomato-based sauce with lemon juice before. isn't it super acidic?

Balance it with some sugar.

One of the ingredients on the side of Dolmio tomato sauce is Lemon juice

Not in the slightest.

Got a food processor yesterday, so made a pasta tonight that required one.

It's a Jamie 30 minute job, which required the following to be hoyed into the processor:

Parmesan

Cherry tomatoes

Basil

Almonds

Red Chillies

Olive Oil

Garlic cloves

That gets turned into what is basically a sort of spicy tomatoey pesto. You cook your pasta, mix it all together, and it's class.

Oh and I made garlic bread to go with it - got a ciabatta, hoyed olive oil, crushed garlic and parsley all over it and hoyed it in the oven.

Edited by Gemmill