Cooking

Gemmill

But that doesn't answer my specific question.

:lol: It does, man. It basically states that the irritant is caused by a chemical which is released by cutting the onion and the level of that chemical varies by species. Which is more or less the answer I gave you on the previous page.

:lol: It does, man. It basically states that the irritant is caused by a chemical which is released by cutting the onion and the level of that chemical varies by species. Which is more or less the answer I gave you on the previous page.

It doesn't though.

Same onions, same supermarket, just different results different weeks.

It doesn't though.

Same onions, same supermarket, just different results different weeks.

You didn't specify that but it's the same answer, more or less. I.e. different levels of the chemical. Variation would be accounted for by growing conditions such as the soil too presumably. Also, how do you know it's the exact same variety every time. When you're in a supermarket you can have what's means to be the same product but on the label it's a different variety grown by a different farmer and sometimes from a different country. Not that I've paid that much attention to that on onions but I've seen it on fruit etc. Anyway, the more of the sulphur-based compound released as a gas, the more your eyes water. I've also read before that keeping the root intact has an impact as more of the chemical is found there.

You didn't specify that but it's the same answer, more or less. I.e. different levels of the chemical. Variation would be accounted for by growing conditions such as the soil too presumably. Also, how do you know it's the exact same variety every time. When you're in a supermarket you can have what's means to be the same product but on the label it's a different variety grown by a different farmer and sometimes from a different country. Not that I've paid that much attention to that on onions but I've seen it on fruit etc. Anyway, the more of the sulphur-based compound released as a gas, the more your eyes water. I've also read before that keeping the root intact has an impact as more of the chemical is found there.

Aye, I'm wondering if sometimes I've started at the root end when chopping and other times I haven't giving the chemical more or less time to do its stuff.

if it's not champagne enemas, it's fingering your own arse. what's next?

Bet this all relates to that admission about banging Pardew. All making sense (or should I say coming together?) now.

Aye, I'm wondering if sometimes I've started at the root end when chopping and other times I haven't giving the chemical more or less time to do its stuff.

Important shit :lol:

;)

Well, you certainly know your onions.

:shades:

Then there's the physiological variability of your own reaction to the chemicals released by the onions, ambient temperature and humidity etc. Eyes watering is hardly an objective outcome as well. Jesus Christ what a stupid subject.

Tonight's knicker-dropping menu.

Starter; Tiger prawns with garlic, chilli and coriander.

Main; Rib-eye steaks in red wine and pink peppercorn sauce.

Roasted Cauliflower with Parmesan

Wilted ( :naughty: ) Spinach with roast garlic

Roasties with Rosemary and thyme.

Pud; Chocolate cheesecake (bought in, fuck that noise)

Cheese board.

Digestif; T&A. :good: