Cooking

Gemmill

as comforting as it is to eat with the cold weather rolling in, having pasta every night is a bit starch heavy gemmill. better watch those love handles.

i try to limit my pasta intake to once or twice a week. i could happily eat it every night though

There's something the Germans make which is basically pig fat, lard and white flour dumplings. This is normally eaten with fried potato cakes and more pig fat and lard and any other fat they can get into it.

There's something the Germans make which is basically pig fat, lard and white flour dumplings. This is normally eaten with fried potato cakes and more pig fat and lard and any other fat they can get into it.

This turning into CT's version of the Belta Minge thread

Our complete lack of organisation the other night left us needing a bit of last minute shopping in. Went to Sainsburys and they'd reduced an absolute shit load of meat. Got a huge chunky 28 day aged ribeye for £1.35 (reduced from nearly £8 originally). It was on it's date, but it went straight in the freezer and was vacuum sealed.

Also got a pack of honey marinated smoked mackerel (which is brilliant) for about 80p, reduced from £4. Also on it's date, but whacked in the freezer.

Must have spent about a tenner and ended up with about £45 worth of meat / fish.

My favourite at the minute is a slow cooked Mediterranean style chicken thing.

Pack of chicken thighs, pan fried to brown, whack in a chopped onion and a few chopped cloves of garlic and a bit of seasoning to taste.

Once that's done to your liking, stick in a couple of tins of chopped tomatoes, half a glass of red and leave it on a very low heat (or put in the oven) for about 90 minutes. The chicken thighs are juicy and tender and moreish.

Plus it's filling enough to the point that you don't really need any rice or pasta with it, so it's reasonably low in carbs.

Easy enough to whack in a a chopped pepper, a can of cannellini beans, chorizo or lardons too if you want to spice it up a bit.

Plus you can easily make a batch and eat it over a couple of days or take a bit for lunch.

Sounds nice. I'm gonna put a pork shoulder in the slow cooker for 9 hours this Sunday and have pork sarnies for packed lunch next week. Meant to do it last weekend but couldn't be bothered to go to the shops over the weekend.

Sounds nice. I'm gonna put a pork shoulder in the slow cooker for 9 hours this Sunday and have pork sarnies for packed lunch next week. Meant to do it last weekend but couldn't be bothered to go to the shops over the weekend.

Sounds class. I did a shoulder of pork over 6 hours in the oven and we just whacked it in the middle of the table and picked at it with a fork. Lovely though.

Curry tonight. I'm cheating by using a curry paste from the shops, but I don't have a blender so shurrup.

Knocked up a curry powder to jazz it up a bit - paprika, nutmeg, onion salt (my fave), nutmeg, cinnamon and turmeric. Letting all the ingrieds bubble away slowly in some chicken stock - will thicken up with a spoon of mango chutney and a touch of yoghurt I think.

Cheeky taste test alright so far, but deffo needs the mango chutney to add a bit of sweetness.

Goonna use the slow cooker for the first time tomorrow.

Beef stew, nowt flash. Beef, onion, swede, carrot, leeks.

Should I 'seal' the meat (toss in seasoned flour) Gonna grate the swede and carrot and finely slice the leeks.

No instruction book with the slow cooker so should I set it on low, med or high. Going on at about 9-30am and I'll be out til after 7pm. About a litre of stock enough?

Goonna use the slow cooker for the first time tomorrow.

Beef stew, nowt flash. Beef, onion, swede, carrot, leeks.

Should I 'seal' the meat (toss in seasoned flour) Gonna grate the swede and carrot and finely slice the leeks.

No instruction book with the slow cooker so should I set it on low, med or high. Going on at about 9-30am and I'll be out til after 7pm. About a litre of stock enough?

What make is it? You should be able to find an instruction booklet PDF online.