Bernard comeback

East Stander

I wish I could still access the threads on NO where they were saying "Best left back in the country IMO"

He's never been any better than average. Used to hide his ineptness by flying into tackles and getting wiped out by a tackle every single game.

Benefitter of the "GERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRIIINNNNNNNNNN!!!1111oneeleven" crowd tbh

I would say he was good in the tackle, decent in the air, good engine, honest and committed and good going forward too. His positional sense let him down. I think his agent convinced him he was better than he was which fucked his career and didn't do us any good either as we've never properly replaced him. Overrated perhaps but he did well in a good side without looking out of place.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Id pretty much go with that. For being pretty small he was good in the air. Was also strong and canny going forward. Positionally awful. Seemed like he wanted more cash and it bit him on the arse.

I'd happily see him in the short term if he could do at least as well as he did last time, but Im far from hopeful of that.

I wish I could still access the threads on NO where they were saying "Best left back in the country IMO"

He's never been any better than average. Used to hide his ineptness by flying into tackles and getting wiped out by a tackle every single game.

Benefitter of the "GERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRIIINNNNNNNNNN!!!1111oneeleven" crowd tbh

I would say he was good in the tackle, decent in the air, good engine, honest and committed and good going forward too. His positional sense let him down. I think his agent convinced him he was better than he was which fucked his career and didn't do us any good either as we've never properly replaced him. Overrated perhaps but he did well in a good side without looking out of place.

Aye lets put it this way we've not had a better one since..... but it doesn't look like he's the player he was then (and yes he or he agent had an massively overated opinion of how good he was).... I just hope we don't keep another player on contract just because we can get no one else.

Personally I always thought he was overrated when he was here the first time. Robert got all of the blame for any defensive frailties we had down the left and somehow Bernard always seemed to come out smelling of roses.

That said though he cetainly wasn't a bad player and he could attack far better than anyone we've had there since. Having someone that could do that there now would be a massive boost to us as we have always looked a player short when it comes to going forward on the left.

I would certainly hope that we are looking for better though.

He's a waste of time and money at this point in his miserable career and helps make us a laughing stock. It's an absolute joke that he has any involvement with a premiership club after the obvious decline in his ability. He should've pissed off back to france a long time ago.

Best LB display I've ever seen: Bernard at the San Siro, immense that night at both ends and on that form, as good as any. In his first spell he was one of the better LB's in the league and had years ahead of him to improve. Should have caved into his demands for an extra few grand a week, he wasn't asking for parity with others, he just saw the likes of the underperforming Dyer and Jenas pick up big contracts and wanted something akin for a defender, i.e. better than what he was getting.

Best LB display I've ever seen: Bernard at the San Siro, immense that night at both ends and on that form, as good as any. In his first spell he was one of the better LB's in the league and had years ahead of him to improve. Should have caved into his demands for an extra few grand a week, he wasn't asking for parity with others, he just saw the likes of the underperforming Dyer and Jenas pick up big contracts and wanted something akin for a defender, i.e. better than what he was getting.

See what I mean.....

Anyone who thinks Olly B was shite in his first spell needs their head read imo. Quality little full back. Agreed his positional awareness wasnt Maldini-esque but he was a good player. it was actually improving season by season as well.

Obviously has problems now but you cant say he was shit a few years ago.

Edited by Holden McGroin

Anyone who thinks Olly B was shite in his first spell needs their head read imo. Quality little full back. Agreed his positional awareness wasnt Maldini-esque but he was a good player. it was actually improving season by season as well.

Are you joking?

Are you joking?

No. he was absolutely terrible at first. I can remember saying he was absolute dog shit at first (turned out to be one of my fav players later on and proved me wrong btw) but he learned the role quite well

Are you joking?

No. he was absolutely terrible at first. I can remember saying he was absolute dog shit at first (turned out to be one of my fav players later on and proved me wrong btw) but he learned the role quite well

Oh right. I see it completely the other way.

• 5 weeks later...

I agree. With Bernard, he could handle the ball, if happened to be in the right place of course, whereas there is an audible intake of breath from the crowd when the likes of Carr and Baba recieve the ball.

I think hes been our best left back in the last 10 years although i've got a lot of respect for Babyaro after recent events hes just not good enough. Hopefully Bernard will sort himself out and get somewhere close to where he was before to left. Having said that I watched him in the reserves a couple of months ago and he was shocking, still it was only one game.