Luques performance today.

Ugly Mackems

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wondered what that outburst was for :D

21523[/snapback]

Well man, FFS, the lad hasnt even trained with the rest of the squad!!!!! And for me, Laurent Robert was a waste of space and yet to LM he was freakin Pele!!!

Luque will be far more effective than Robert in the long run, I am certain of that.

21539[/snapback]

I'm sorry, but that is just plain arrogance, no-one can know that. If he scores and supplies half the goals Robert did he will be doing well. Robert was a very capable player in offense, you would have to be very prejudiced to dispute that.

He's been getting great reports from Pompey too, even though their team is otherwise quite shit. And it's early days, but we certainly don't look as good without him so far, do we?

21545[/snapback]

Its not just arrogance its utter bollocks until the bloke has been here for a few years and come close to matching the number of goals and assists Robert achieved. But why let that get in the way of another whinge about Robert eh?

As for Laurent at Portsmouth, he's currently scored 1, set up 2 and from what highlights i've seen put another two on a plate but his team mates missed them (not his fault) i wish we had somebody doing that for us.

21549[/snapback]

Robert will score from free kicks, granted. If you could have brought him just to take those then take him off again he would have been worth a place. He put our left fullback under pressure countless times as he wouldnt track back the other teams wing/full back. We couldnt afford the luxury, plus he wouldnt stop yakking to the press, both under SBR and Souness he was told to shut up, he wouldnt do it and now he's gone.

Last of all, if he was so good, why never near the French team?

21599[/snapback]

At the end of the day, if the team doesn't make at least 5th, then Souness' collective attempt at changing it has been for the worse, and Robert was a major player in the team that qualified for the Champions League.

But Bellamy is the biggest clanger anyway. If you don't see that and are blinded by Souness' spin, then like others Terry Macs appointment hasn't been for nothing, there is always someone gullible to ignore facts.

21795[/snapback]

Bellamy was more important to the club than Robert, since now we have no pace or goals up front (before Luque anyhow). It would have been better all round if BOTH parties could have sat down and made up for the good of NUFC. I think both were acting like bairns...

Edited by NewJerseyMag

Could it be that France have plenty of world/international class players

Not really, Pires missed the World cup 2002 through injury and the French coach played Henry there out of position rather than calling him up.

Also a year or so ago they were desperate for a left sided midfielder and they picked Cheyrou (sp?) instead who was hardly playing for Liverpool.

Edited by Baggio

Aye, LM< but you were wrong on Bellamy :D

hadaway. I always said Bellamy was a great player, yu troublemaker :D

Actually I think we all were. I know I was. I was wrong an lots of players, Kluivert, Jenas and Ameobi.

yes, I always thought Kluivert and Amebi wouldn't be good, I never doubted Kluiverts technical ability, that has always been top class, just his hunger and attitude, and desire to adjust, however I have hoped for the last 2 years Jenas would turn out to be the player that he was supposed to be, but only now we have Parker and Emre I have realised just how shit he has been. And aye, that is based on 20 minutes in Emre's case, 1 game against West Ham in Parkers, easily our man of the match in both games. Sometimes you make a judgement in one game, whats wrong with that. I haven't made one yet on luque, only commented on what i saw on Sunday. As I said the best player I ever saw play for Newcastle was Tony Green, whose debut away to Everton was quiet too, and he also only met his team mates for the first time just before the game. It's obvious Luque gave us better balance, and being left footed is always good for that, but whether he will be worth 10m .... thats a tall order, we will see.

Nice one Gemmill. Trying to put words into my mouth...but I don't mind really.

I thought Kluivert would turn out to be a great signing, he didn't. I thought Shola could make it given a run in the side, he hasn't and although I still believe JJ has potential, I hope he does move now because he clearly does not want to be here if his nothing performance on Sunday is to go by.

it does bother me that Jenas may go to a club and find the drive he has always lacked at newcastle, when he is surrounded by a club more used to winning maybe. But I am pretty certain now that he isn't going to do that here.

I think you are being harsh on Luque because Robert, for large spells of his United career, didn't give a fuck and there is no denying that. Cast you mind back to the Marseille and Wolves home games where the vitriol on the stands and on the old HTT and Toon-Chat boards was something else.

See above. I have never thought Robert was anywhere near as important as Bellamy, but he was still important in spite of him being bloody frustrating.

I atually thought Luque showed plenty of heart in his willingness to close space even though all was lost, he was running on empty but he still put his hand up for Parker's ball at the end, where he outfoxed Ferdinand with that sublime piece of control.

I liked what I saw but of course it's too early to tell.

Me and my mate at half time agreed he had been quite lively, but we both agreed at the end he just looked pissed off and totally depressed !!!! We saw him once or twice not making himself as available as he had been earlier too, etc which I just think is worrying, especially for his first game.

I remember watching Bellamy in the InterToto after he signed and thought we'd wasted 6m on a player not even good enough to play in the Premiership. I remember his performance at SJP for Coventry, he was awful, missed lots of sitters, kept getting cought off-side, and his control was shocking.

He turned out to be alright (as a player anyway).

21793[/snapback]

when we signed Bellamy I was over the moon, because I always thought he was a top player playing for a poor side. He was stuck out on the wing sometimes by Strachan [another managerial genius] but when he moved inside nearer to Hartson he was electric and I thought then that this was his natural position and wondered why he was stuck out wide.

Edited by LeazesMag

Bellamy is a HUGE clanger.  We are in the process of possibly paying £18m to replace him.

21798[/snapback]

It's the biggest clanger since selling Les Ferdinand mate. In fact it took 5 years and a few crap signings [apart from JDT who had obvious potential] and money down the drain trying, until Bellamy eventually arrived !!!

Edited by LeazesMag

LM, I'll give you that, I have made judgements on players based on just one game, sometimes you just know with certain players. Like Rooney for example, I just knew he was something extra special. Same with Cole, you just knew he would adapt to the top flight.

But judging a player on just one game will nine times out of ten just make a fool of you, regardless as today, it's so hard to judge a player even with your own two eyes because for players to perform these days, they have to be fully fit, they have to be in the right frame of mind, they have to be playing in their correct position etc.

Look at Bowyer, we knew he was a good player from his Leeds days but when he arrived here, stuck out wide on the right, he was awful, really poor.

Sometimes I think they game has become too complicated what with all these systems, ideas and ways of playing. Look at KK's side of 93, new to the Premiership. They just went out and played. As a result, free flowing unhibited football. There was none of this can he make it can he not. As soon as Cole scored against Man Utd you just knew that was the first of many.

RE Parker, you can tell he's going to be a great Toon player because he's hungry and talented with it. He knows exactly what he's doing.

The last new Toon signing to impress me as much was Bellamy himself.

Long may it continue.

Least we look like chucking all of said money down the drain just the once this time.

21834[/snapback]

better watch it man, Gemmill will be after you, judging someone in one game like .... :D

The logic of giving someone away, then replacing him for £9.5m and selling someone for £5m and replacing them with an £18m signing is baffling.

LM, I'll give you that, I have made judgements on players based on just one game, sometimes you just know with certain players. Like Rooney for example, I just knew he was something extra special. Same with Cole, you just knew he would adapt to the top flight.

But judging a player on just one game will nine times out of ten just make a fool of you, regardless as today, it's so hard to judge a player even with your own two eyes because for players to perform these days, they have to be fully fit, they have to be in the right frame of mind, they have to be playing in their correct position etc.

Look at Bowyer, we knew he was a good player from his Leeds days but when he arrived here, stuck out wide on the right, he was awful, really poor.

Sometimes I think they game has become too complicated what with all these systems, ideas and ways of playing. Look at KK's side of 93, new to the Premiership. They just went out and played. As a result, free flowing unhibited football. There was none of this can he make it can he not. As soon as Cole scored against Man Utd you just knew that was the first of many.

RE Parker, you can tell he's going to be a great Toon player because he's hungry and talented with it. He knows exactly what he's doing.

The last new Toon signing to impress me as much was Bellamy himself.

Long may it continue.

21838[/snapback]

What puzzled us [me and my mate again] on Sunday, was Souness spending months telling us he didn't believe in wingers....then seeing Luque hogging the touchline quite a lot.

Or maybe we shouldn't have been ....

Emre and Parker are the best pairing we've had since Rob Lee left.

Oh, For Gemmill etc etc I judged Rob Lee after one game, on the right midfield too, and in the old first division. I told a mackem lad at work he would play for England. He then went on to become the best English midfield player during the period 94-98. The complete modern midfield player. Only Roy Keane in Britain was probably better.

The great thing about KK's side was they just played simple football, pass and move. To hell with stopping the other team playing first [souness' way], we played our own game and set out to dictate the game and keep the ball. [Gordon Lee's too, as I told you a few weeks ago] Keegan bought footballers, and they seemed able to adapt and switch around sometimes easily. Witness Man U on Sunday, O'Shea at right back, Rooney playing wide and deep, Ronaldo may be a diver, but he's a great player, at ease on both flanks, crossing with both feet on the run etc.

Maybe it was the training under Keegan ie the 5 a sides, but they were totally at ease with passing and moving and playing the ball.

Edited by LeazesMag

The logic of giving someone away, then replacing him for £9.5m and selling someone for £5m and replacing them with an £18m signing is baffling.

21843[/snapback]

It's called shit man-management, and potential bankruptcy mate.

Edited by LeazesMag

I think Robert could have offered more.

Seemed to amble around flattering to decieve - hitting the first man with his corners and totally untroubling the keeper at set pieces. Seemed to want one touch too many on a few of his more attacking moments.

One decent cross admittedly - but too little too late. Jury will be firmly out on this fella till I see him a few more times.

20811[/snapback]

Aren't you the very same Ugly Mackems who in the past in defence of Mssr Robert's abject performances has said that you should never judge a player one one idividual performance alone? :D

20936[/snapback]

I think you confuse me with someone else.

Mind you we only signed Kluivert on a free on a one-year contract, no?

21876[/snapback]

Fat contract though. Mind you I think we should have kept him though only if the fuckwitted staff could have got the best out of him though

Edited by Sima

I think Wenger's Arsenal are very similar to KK's United. No real tactics, no real system designed to shut out or stop the opposition, just a group of highly talented and motivated players told to go out, expresse themselves and to win.

I've noticed when Arsenal do play to a system or try to adopt tactics, they perform under par. Just like we used to. I imagine it's like boxing them in and telling them to climb walls that otherwise weren't there.

That said, I think in Europe, you can't just send your team out and say right, you just play and beat the opposition. Barcelona came unstuck against Chelsea last season and Arsenal always come unstuck. Due in the main to tactics.

Maybe the game is changing so fast, Arsenal will have to adapt or die?

Look at Man Utd, they were a complete shadow of the side that used to come to SJP. What made yesterday hard to swallow for me is that I thought they were poor, average even.

They we so slow and patient, they weren't even bothered about performing, they would have been happy with 1-0.

They used to swamp sides and tear them to shreds. Interestingly, they tried that way in Europe and failed and I get the impression their European style has crept into the Premiership and overtaken their usual game entirely.

Maybe Chelsea have influenced this.

Could KK's side, perfom in the Premiership? Could KK's side perform in Europe?

If we'd kept Bellamy somehow and then still gone for Owen (quite possible with Shepherd) how far would he have thrown the toys out of his pram (again)?

21886[/snapback]

We wouldn't need Owen if we still had Bellamy though. They are very similar players too. Owen has a better shot, but to be honest, Bellamy's shot was improving. And in every other category, I think Bellamy might be superior (aprt from personality, obviously).

I think Wenger's Arsenal are very similar to KK's United. No real tactics, no real system designed to shut out or stop the opposition, just a group of highly talented and motivated players told to go out, expresse themselves and to win.

I've noticed when Arsenal do play to a system or try to adopt tactics, they perform under par. Just like we used to. I imagine it's like boxing them in and telling them to climb walls that otherwise weren't there.

That said, I think in Europe, you can't just send your team out and say right, you just play and beat the opposition. Barcelona came unstuck against Chelsea last season and Arsenal always come unstuck. Due in the main to tactics.

Maybe the game is changing so fast, Arsenal will have to adapt or die?

Look at Man Utd, they were a complete shadow of the side that used to come to SJP. What made yesterday hard to swallow for me is that I thought they were poor, average even.

They we so slow and patient, they weren't even bothered about performing, they would have been happy with 1-0.

They used to swamp sides and tear them to shreds. Interestingly, they tried that way in Europe and failed and I get the impression their European style has crept into the Premiership and overtaken their usual game entirely.

Maybe Chelsea have influenced this.

Could KK's side, perfom in the Premiership? Could KK's side perform in Europe?

21885[/snapback]

i was listening to Graham Taylor recently on radio 5 [another manager like Keegan who's record at club level is ignored in favour of his England one by cockney hacks and pompous cockney arseholes in the press] saying that Arsenal would never win the European Cup despite having the ability, because they weren't prepared to play dirty and adapt to how the situation demands, which all true great teams have to do.

Pretty accurate I think. Not knocking his [Wengers] record though, he's one of the best.

Edited by LeazesMag

I like Graham Taylor, think he's a top bloke and his life was made hell because of his time as England manager, ruined him in fact.

I'd have to agree, Arsenal can only play one way, stop them and they are bereft of ideas. Like Barca, they can only play one way. Man Utd too, mid 90s. They did change and they won it. Now they have to change again.

I love KK but I doubt his great side could perform in Europe, I think we'd be picked off to a man and hit a brick wall. I think that side would do very well in the Premiership though.

If we'd kept Bellamy somehow and then still gone for Owen (quite possible with Shepherd) how far would he have thrown the toys out of his pram (again)?

21886[/snapback]

errr...if we had kept Bellamy, we probably wouldn't be 2nd bottom of the league...

nor would we be in a position of spending millions of pounds to replace him [that we might not have] and could use the money to replace Alan Shearer instead....

21886[/snapback]

errr...if we had kept Bellamy, we probably wouldn't be 2nd bottom of the league...

nor would we be in a position of spending millions of pounds to replace him [that we might not have] and could use the money to replace Alan Shearer instead....

21943[/snapback]

More than likely Bellamy would be injured for us as he is for Blackburn at the moment too.

21886[/snapback]

21943[/snapback]

More than likely Bellamy would be injured for us as he is for Blackburn at the moment too.

21949[/snapback]

or Dire who's now been put on 80 clicks a week due to Souness' wisdom

21886[/snapback]

21943[/snapback]

Theres also the fact that Bellamy and Owen would be our first choice strike partnership under any manger with half a brain, and i would hate to be a defender havign to cope with stopping both of them!