So You Think You Can Nurse?

catmag

Guest Patrokles

Vic one again proved wrong and retreating into his denial shell. What a fucking cockmuncher. :blink:

I went for a pint soft lad :angry:

what's your excuse? :P

Do you mean you sat by the stereo with a six pack of carling with the sound very low in case your flatmate bollocked you again?

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Vic one again proved wrong and retreating into his denial shell. What a fucking cockmuncher. :blink:

Do you mean you sat by the stereo with a six pack of carling with the sound very low in case your flatmate bollocked you again?

you got that from 'went for a pint'?

definite English teacher material tbh

Guest Patrokles

The ability to critically read and analyze what someone writes. You're a proven self-aggrandizer, plus you have no friends, so it just seemed logical that you were indulging in your favourite past-time of drinking alone.

The ability to critically read and analyze what someone writes. You're a proven self-aggrandizer, plus you have no friends, so it just seemed logical that you were indulging in your favourite past-time of drinking alone.

extrapolatastic

well it started by nobody saying "So you think you can Nurse" and a tv exec thinking that this would an excellent way to get no mark sub-z list celebrities on tv.

then somehow it got onto how nurses whine too much, then a couple defended themselves, then vic and Patrokles turned up and turned another thread into their own personal hair-tugging merry-go-round

then you said "Hay guys, what's going on in this thead" and I replied.

I fully expect vic and pat to go another thirty rounds each trying to score points on the other, yet both coming out looking a little desperate and petty.

I however, look superior and thin :blink:

Edited by The Fish

Guest Patrokles

well it started by nobody saying "So you think you can Nurse" and a tv exec thinking that this would an excellent way to get no mark sub-z list celebrities on tv.

then somehow it got onto how nurses whine too much, then a couple defended themselves, then vic and Patrokles turned up and turned another thread into their own personal hair-tugging merry-go-round

then you said "Hay guys, what's going on in this thead" and I replied.

I fully expect vic and pat to go another thirty rounds each trying to score points on the other, yet both coming out looking a little desperate and petty.

I however, look superior and thin :blink:

Bollocks, you get involved in petty bickering too with Vic too, so don't attempt to take any kind of high ground here at all. If you care to check, the number of posts between Vic and myself before I chose to end it (as I always do, in good time) is similar, if not less than, the number of posts between Rob and any number of posters. So, really, just don't.

teachers start on £25k and get 6 weeks off so they can fuck right off

They get 12 weeks off, not 6.

I've tried to think of a job where you can underperform year in year out, turning out kids that can't read or write and never get disciplined/laid off/fired, get paid a fair whack, work 9-16 12 weeks off, great pension, not get yer hands dirty and have peopel call you Sir.............................................

Teaching is the game for sure

teachers start on £25k and get 6 weeks off so they can fuck right off

They get 12 weeks off, not 6.

I've tried to think of a job where you can underperform year in year out, turning out kids that can't read or write and never get disciplined/laid off/fired, get paid a fair whack, work 9-16 12 weeks off, great pension, not get yer hands dirty and have peopel call you Sir.............................................

Teaching is the game for sure

and retire at 45 due to stress on a cushy pension

Guest Patrokles

Unsurprisingly, some of you are showing your ignorance. Teachers get nowhere near that amount of time off. Just because the kids are on holiday doesn't mean that the teachers are too. In reality they get barely 1/3 of the 6 week summer break.

Unsurprisingly, some of you are showing your ignorance. Teachers get nowhere near that amount of time off. Just because the kids are on holiday doesn't mean that the teachers are too. In reality they get barely 1/3 of the 6 week summer break.

:blink:

Plus they can't take holidays in school time, so flights cost a fucking fortune.

Plus they give up most of their nights, generally leaving work at nearly 7pm every night, and then going home to work.

Most of you wouldn't last a week as a teacher.

:blink:

Plus they can't take holidays in school time, so flights cost a fucking fortune.

Plus they give up most of their nights, generally leaving work at nearly 7pm every night, and then going home to work.

Most of you wouldn't last a week as a teacher.

Shearergol hits the nail right on the head there. Cushy pension...yeah right!? Teachers should get paid danger money in some inner city schools - with the way some kids are today, the way they behave, and the fact that teachers' authority had been undermined by various "human rights" legislation - it's more a case of being a riot control officer without the protective safety equipment.

As for those who are willing to tar all teachers with the same brush, saying that they underperform...jesus wept...they must be few and far between. Where's the parental responsibility in all of this?

If the kids aren't in school, are the teachers obliged to be? I'm pretty sure they arent.

Teachers hols = 6weeks summer, 2 weeks xmas, 2 weeks easter and 2x 1 week half terms n'est-ce pas? Thats 12 weeks. As for working during their holidays, well thats not uncommon for lots of jobs-they're still entitled to not go into work for 12 weeks of the year though.

Teachers class contact time is 9am to 3pm per day. If they have to spend two or three hours a day on average over and above that doing lesson plans and marking, well that still equates to a normal 9 to 5 job.

I'm very sympathetic when teachers talk about lack of resources etc as they see kids going without and that must be frustrating. I've not got much time if their issue is having to do lesson plans/work outside of class times though-I don't think theyre over burdened work wise compared to other graduate jobs.

Edited by manc-mag

If the kids aren't in school, are the teachers obliged to be? I'm pretty sure they arent.

Teachers hols = 6weeks summer, 2 weeks xmas, 2 weeks easter and 2x 1 week half terms n'est-ce pas? Thats 12 weeks. As for working during their holidays, well thats not uncommon for lots of jobs-they're still entitled to not go into work for 12 weeks of the year though.

Teachers class contact time is 9am to 3pm per day. If they have to spend two or three hours a day on average over and above that doing lesson plans and marking, well that still equates to a normal 9 to 5 job.

I'm very sympathetic when teachers talk about lack of resources etc as they see kids going without and that must be frustrating. I've not got much time if their issue is having to do lesson plans/work outside of class times though-I don't think theyre over burdened work wise compared to other graduate jobs.

You do know that teachers don't get paid for the days they don't work right? So their wage is actually averaged out over the 12 months, minus the weeks they have off?

You do know that teachers don't get paid for the days they don't work right? So their wage is actually averaged out over the 12 months, minus the weeks they have off?

The way you've worded that is wrong, but I understand what you mean. I understand how it's calculated and I understand that the time off is a factor thats reflected in the pay packet. However I also understand what you're implying so I'll turn the question back on you:

Do you think the average teacher would trade the (on average) additional eight weeks holidays they enjoy for the pro-rata pay equivalent (ie an extra couple of grand?) I actually don't think they would. I think those holidays are a real privilige that quite simply just don't exist in any other sector and they should be conscious of that fact before making a big noise about taking work home etc.

It can sound very patronising to the average person who takes work home without questioning it and accepts it as part of their job. To be honest it makes them look a bit detached from reality.

Guest Patrokles

The way you've worded that is wrong, but I understand what you mean. I understand how it's calculated and I understand that the time off is a factor thats reflected in the pay packet. However I also understand what you're implying so I'll turn the question back on you:

Do you think the average teacher would trade the (on average) additional eight weeks holidays they enjoy for the pro-rata pay equivalent (ie an extra couple of grand?) I actually don't think they would. I think those holidays are a real privilige that quite simply just don't exist in any other sector and they should be conscious of that fact before making a big noise about taking work home etc.

It can sound very patronising to the average person who takes work home without questioning it and accepts it as part of their job. To be honest it makes them look a bit detached from reality.

I find it hard to agree with the majority of that post. They really really don't get anywhere near the amount of holiday that you speculate. The summer is spent planning for the next term. They don't pack up at 3.35 on a day in July, then come back at 9am in August and just teach.

The 'average' person rarely takes work home, and I know that most who had to would certainly question it and be less than pleased if it became a part of their job.

I'm willing to "hear evidence" for teachers to support the case but I have my doubts.

What I'm told is that from a "normal" standard week a teacher would actually teach what - 15 hours? (exact figure would be useful). Now I understand preparation but based on that I'm told those 15 hours require 25 hours of planning. Then an extra number of hours between say 1 and 4 are needed every day for marking and/or further perparation.

Then in the 6/8 extra weeks holiday they get than "normal" workers I'm told that they spend 7-10 hours a day working on more preparation.

Can I ask what this preparation consists of? Are there no available resources to minmise the work?

A friend of mines husband is a college lecturer and she told me he worked his bollocks off in the first year planning his course but when that was done the rest is a "doddle" as its just a matter of repeating that work.

How is teaching different? I know the curriculum shifts but does it change that much that all lessons from one year are rendered useless the next and have to be thrown out?

I've seen a few of these 12 weeks holiday a year/no they work harder than everybody debates and I'd be interested in the truth - I suspect its somewhere in the middle which makes the job overall the same as most others - with the job satisfaction/condescending holier than thou attitude that we've alluded to about certain medical people in this thread.

I'm willing to "hear evidence" for teachers to support the case but I have my doubts.

What I'm told is that from a "normal" standard week a teacher would actually teach what - 15 hours? (exact figure would be useful). Now I understand preparation but based on that I'm told those 15 hours require 25 hours of planning. Then an extra number of hours between say 1 and 4 are needed every day for marking and/or further perparation.

Then in the 6/8 extra weeks holiday they get than "normal" workers I'm told that they spend 7-10 hours a day working on more preparation.

Can I ask what this preparation consists of? Are there no available resources to minmise the work?

A friend of mines husband is a college lecturer and she told me he worked his bollocks off in the first year planning his course but when that was done the rest is a "doddle" as its just a matter of repeating that work.

How is teaching different? I know the curriculum shifts but does it change that much that all lessons from one year are rendered useless the next and have to be thrown out?

I've seen a few of these 12 weeks holiday a year/no they work harder than everybody debates and I'd be interested in the truth - I suspect its somewhere in the middle which makes the job overall the same as most others - with the job satisfaction/condescending holier than thou attitude that we've alluded to about certain medical people in this thread.

Our head of science teaches 29 "50 minute" periods a week. On top of that, he mentors two student teachers, manages the department, has senior team responsibilities, and continuously looks for improvements for the school. Oh, and add his 25 minute a day tutoring reponsibilities, which also includes academic reviews every term (meeting with parents etc).

Now I know that it's an extreme case, because of the role he has, and I guess people will argue that his pay will cover any extra work he has; but having spent 10 years working in industry, this last year has shown me just how bad teachers actually have it.

If teaching is so easy, how come none of you lot took it up?

Our head of science teaches 29 "50 minute" periods a week. On top of that, he mentors two student teachers, manages the department, has senior team responsibilities, and continuously looks for improvements for the school. Oh, and add his 25 minute a day tutoring reponsibilities, which also includes academic reviews every term (meeting with parents etc).

Now I know that it's an extreme case, because of the role he has, and I guess people will argue that his pay will cover any extra work he has; but having spent 10 years working in industry, this last year has shown me just how bad teachers actually have it.

If teaching is so easy, how come none of you lot took it up?

"Managers" at what I'd call a similar level where I work would quite frankly consider that a part time job and thats not that much of a dig.

I'm not saying its an easy job and I wouldn't do it but as I suggested theres too much of a martyr complex where people want medals just for doing a professional job that isn't compulsory and isn't that different to the "real world" no matter how much they protest.

I would still maintain the 12 weeks holiday "jibe" is probably a fair one in most cases.