Planning...

Isegrim

I remember it being reported at the time Campbell did want to come here. Before he went to Pompey. (That's not definitely true, just what was reported). He's bound to say all the right things re: Portsmouth after he's signed though. I also remember Roeder saying he wasn't interested due to Campbell's injury record over the previous two seasons. He should have been interested in him imo.

Never heard Campbell express that or heard it reported like. I did hear he wasnt right in the head and that any sane person would not then move to Newcastle to resolve that one.

Gemmill it was you who said that ;)

No no no, I constructed a Shepherd quote based on the claim, but the claim wasn't initially mine.

Pity, it would have been the funniest thing you ever said! I can just picture the alledged meeting now.

Not much room for a fly on the wall in that one.

Freddy's back would be covering most of it.

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember it being reported at the time Campbell did want to come here. Before he went to Pompey. (That's not definitely true, just what was reported). He's bound to say all the right things re: Portsmouth after he's signed though. I also remember Roeder saying he wasn't interested due to Campbell's injury record over the previous two seasons. He should have been interested in him imo.

Never heard Campbell express that or heard it reported like. I did hear he wasnt right in the head and that any sane person would not then move to Newcastle to resolve that one.

No no no, I constructed a Shepherd quote based on the claim, but the claim wasn't initially mine.

Not like you to not take the glory.

E G O

The glory? I responded to a thread in which someone claimed that Shepherd had called Campbell a hom. :nufc: That it was FUCKING HILARIOUS is beyond my control. :nufc:

Pity, it would have been the funniest thing you ever said! I can just picture the alledged meeting now.

Not much room for a fly on the wall in that one.

I hope you're not being cheeky. :nufc:

Vic, is it not possible to have a whole stack of bids on the table?

have your first choice signings in the pipeline at the same time as your second, third fourth and fifth choice... so that we don't waste a transfer window by bringing in 1 solitary defender?

I cannot for one moment believe that there is noone out there who could improve our squad and who wants to join our team.

if I were manager, I'd certainly run the rule over players performing well in positions where we are weak. I'd make a list of the players I'd want for the team in cooperation with the chairman. I'd employ someone to approach the clubs of the players and begin negotiations. I'd do this as the season progressed. Safe in the knowledge that (in Newcastle specifically) Carr, Babayaro, Bramble, Shola and Sibieriski, aren't all suddenly and miraculously going to improve to such a standard that would negate the need for their replacement.

It's not fucking rocket science, it's permitted by the FA it's good "Planning"

I never saw Le Tiss on SSN :nufc:

That footage exists in a place other than inside my head though :nufc:

Btw: I remembered from the Chronicle http://icnewcastle.icnetwork.co.uk/newcast...-name_page.html

That's my argument in tatters :nufc:

have your first choice signings in the pipeline at the same time as your second, third fourth and fifth choice... so that we don't waste a transfer window by bringing in 1 solitary defender?

I cannot for one moment believe that there is noone out there who could improve our squad and who wants to join our team.

if I were manager, I'd certainly run the rule over players performing well in positions where we are weak. I'd make a list of the players I'd want for the team in cooperation with the chairman. I'd employ someone to approach the clubs of the players and begin negotiations. I'd do this as the season progressed. Safe in the knowledge that (in Newcastle specifically) Carr, Babayaro, Bramble, Shola and Sibieriski, aren't all suddenly and miraculously going to improve to such a standard that would negate the need for their replacement.

you are assuming an awfull lot about the collective scum known as football agents

you can have as many bids for as many players as you like out there, but as I've already said, what's the point if most aren't even considered well into the window as other things fall into place and the requirements of teams are truly known.

I never saw Le Tiss on SSN :nufc:

That footage exists in a place other than inside my head though :nufc:

Btw: I remembered from the Chronicle http://icnewcastle.icnetwork.co.uk/newcast...-name_page.html

That's my argument in tatters :nufc:

Says Roeder: "Sol is a fantastic talent and I am mystified why Arsenal have agreed that he should go."

Is the only quote in that story :nufc:

right, so who are we going to ring today and slap in a contract, all ready to move come the summer...

I'd love to think that was for a laugh, following Renton's comments about the random shit you post. I fear that would be giving you far too much credit though ;)

Again, I would not be surprised if people took it literally. The point being, when do we start contracting players ready for the first day of the summer window? Now? In 2 months? In May? Seriously, how far forward does it have to be to be good 'planning' and getting one over on every other manager who seem to be more than able to start and complete deals inside the window.

I'll accept having the players in time for the start of pre season training instead of after the season starts for a change.

Exactly. That's what pissed me off about Roeder big style last summer. When he took the job one of the first things he was saying was that he couldn't even afford a holiday because he has to assemble the squad for next season. The next thing was that he was off to Turkey for a couple of weeks. Then at some time in July he said that he has to sit together with Fat Fred and draw up a list of players they should go after.

The "planning" and concluding of deals just always depends on the circumstances. At the moment Newcastle now too well what type of players they need (I hope they do). So they can look at those players and sound them out or unsettle them. A lot is done behind the scenes. And when it's clear that the opportunity of getting one of your targets arises you have to react. Then it doesn't matter if it is January, April or June. But it shouldn't be July and only under the worst circumstances August 31st.

so you'd be happy if Arsene Wenger started having cosy little chats with N'Zogbia in a few months time?

There are more subtle ways than that actually.

if you contact a contracted player without the clubs knowledge you are breaching FA rules

Don't try to be clever. It just doesn't suit you.

As I said, there are a lot more subtle ways to do it without directly contacting players. FIFA statutes only forbid to do direct negotiations without contacting the club first. So you talk with agents, let other players talk to players etc. There are more ways than just directly meet in a London restaurant.

Roeder did say that about Campbell though, on that Radio Newcastle phone-in. "We looked into his playing history and we felt he had played too few games in the last couple of seasons."

Still nothing to back up the claim he wanted to play here though other than it was on the side of Roeder's cereal box at breakfast or something according to some red top in the middle of the silly season.

Argument nailed tbh.

you are assuming an awfull lot about the collective scum known as football agents

you can have as many bids for as many players as you like out there, but as I've already said, what's the point if most aren't even considered well into the window as other things fall into place and the requirements of teams are truly known.

So, if there are no players anymore who want to play for Newcastle or who will Newcastle get, what do you suggest?

right, so who are we going to ring today and slap in a contract, all ready to move come the summer...

I'd love to think that was for a laugh, following Renton's comments about the random shit you post. I fear that would be giving you far too much credit though ;)

Again, I would not be surprised if people took it literally. The point being, when do we start contracting players ready for the first day of the summer window? Now? In 2 months? In May? Seriously, how far forward does it have to be to be good 'planning' and getting one over on every other manager who seem to be more than able to start and complete deals inside the window.

I'll accept having the players in time for the start of pre season training instead of after the season starts for a change.

Exactly. That's what pissed me off about Roeder big style last summer. When he took the job one of the first things he was saying was that he couldn't even afford a holiday because he has to assemble the squad for next season. The next thing was that he was off to Turkey for a couple of weeks. Then at some time in July he said that he has to sit together with Fat Fred and draw up a list of players they should go after.

The "planning" and concluding of deals just always depends on the circumstances. At the moment Newcastle now too well what type of players they need (I hope they do). So they can look at those players and sound them out or unsettle them. A lot is done behind the scenes. And when it's clear that the opportunity of getting one of your targets arises you have to react. Then it doesn't matter if it is January, April or June. But it shouldn't be July and only under the worst circumstances August 31st.

so you'd be happy if Arsene Wenger started having cosy little chats with N'Zogbia in a few months time?

if you contact a contracted player without the clubs knowledge you are breaching FA rules

As I said, there are a lot more subtle ways to do it without directly contacting players. FIFA statutes only forbid to do direct negotiations without contacting the club first. So you talk with agents, let other players talk to players etc. There are more ways than just directly meet in a London restaurant.

so through all these chinese whispers and clandestine chats we are suppose to have concrete plans to sign 3 or 4 players by mid November?

a contract will only be arranged through the club, unless it is for a free agent, for whom the window doesn't even apply

so through all these chinese whispers and clandestine chats we are suppose to have concrete plans to sign 3 or 4 players by mid November?

a contract will only be arranged through the club, unless it is for a free agent, for whom the window doesn't even apply

So how come other clubs are able to finalise deals in advance when this is obviously impossible? :nufc:

So, if there are no players anymore who want to play for Newcastle or who will Newcastle get, what do you suggest?

Suicide.

Suicide.

I don't know how this will help, but in Vic's case it is at least worth the try.

We need a Director of football asap tbh

I agree and i dont think its humanly possible for Roeder to do everything he needs to do. One thing not taken account of when looking at the club's activity in the market is human resource. We are short on it tbh.

So how come other clubs are able to finalise deals in advance when this is obviously impossible? :nufc:

like who?

We need a Director of football asap tbh

I agree and i dont think its humanly possible for Roeder to do everything he needs to do. One thing not taken account of when looking at the club's activity in the market is human resource. We are short on it tbh.

http://www.toontastic.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=8442

The problem is worsened imho by the fact that a couple of board positions are vacant, i.e. are filled by Fat Fred himself. The whole setup of the club is rather that of an amateur club than that of a club with one of the highest turnover in Europe.