Planning...

Isegrim

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IT may still only be early February but Glenn Roeder says Newcastle United are already planning their summer strategy - with training camp trips and transfer targets already under discussion.

And the Magpies' boss also used his pre-Fulham press conference to thank the Geordie fans who have stayed right behind his team as they've battled bravely against the worst injury list any Premiership club has known this term.

It's a year since the former skipper took over the managerial reins from Graeme Souness in a caretaker capacity, guiding the club to a seventh place finish and a return to European football with his reward being a permanent appointment last May.

It's certainly been an eventful 12-month tenure for Glenn, who said: "We've encountered so many things over just one season, but we've stuck together and I'd like to include the supporters when I say that because the fans have helped by understanding our injury problems.

"They have tried to help us along all the way, and the players have stayed tight too.

"We're in a position now a bit like this time last year where we can go out and attack and see how high we can finish.

"But we can also start to make some plans for next season as well. Last year I couldn't really do that because I was only doing the job on a week-by-week basis.

"This time it's different, we can now start planning lots of things.

"We're already talking about pre-season, about when to come back, where to go in terms of training camps and who we want to play.

"Also transfer targets are already being discussed and I know it's important the fans hear that.

"There are no excuses. We have three or four months to analyse things. That means going to watch the players we want and in the positions we want.

"That's why it's so important to make plans because we don't want to make any mistakes."

Planning is an inexact science. There are too many unknowns in business to have a contingency for every eventuality that your environment throws up. I think there have been conflicting priorities for the club and the main one has been to stabilise the business and shift the overall philosophy from gambling on big signings. To what is not yet clear.

I have always said that the transfer market is too uncertain to have a fixed plan as each deal is related to other deals in the way the housing market is.

In the business i work in, we have a strategic brand plan each year that is revised as an ongoing process a minimum of 3 times in the year due to unforeseen challenges. We deliver over £30 billion of sales each year so we are really expert at it too. Still feels like guesswork though.

Tomorrow my boss is in Philadelphia doing due dilligence on a product we need. The company that owns it wants to deal but they also want to merge their whole business with our main competitor, in which case the deal is off. If we dont get it, we will be fucked in the area for good. Failure of management if it doesnt come off?

Not in the slightest imo.

Adam mate, you've done this before (comparing the management and strategic planning in your company to that at NUFC) and I can't help but feel it's a sackable offence. :lol:

The you've missed the point, not even we have it down to a precise science. We've been 'planning' this deal for 12 months and its about to go tits up.

I don't think I have missed the point tbh. Newcastle haven't operated with a plan for a long time. That's my point. And I'm not sure we had much of a one for this last window. Certainly nothing realistic if this list of Roeder's is actually true.

Of course plans can go wrong and not work out, but I think you're crediting NUFC with a bit too much intelligence.

you - and/or one or all of your cronies - could start by telling us what other clubs have "planned" that we haven't. Then back it up with results, or should I say, superior results which presumably if a "plan" is so vital, will have been gained ?

I expected you - and your cronies eg Baggio in particular - to avoid a straight answer. As sniffer said on NO, there is little point debating with Baggio...especially when he can't substantiate his argument with solid fact.

Can you ? It's all yours. Show us where these clubs with superior "plans" have done better, and name them.

The simple fact is that whatever "plan" Spurs have, if Santini was still at the club it is doubtful they would be where they are now under Jol ... so who or what is the most important, the manager or the "plan". What position exactly do you think a club ought to finish in when you talk of a "plan" ie what is the aim of this "plan" ?

What do you have against the club setting out a "plan" for Roeder to rebuild the playing and coaching side of the club ?

Do you not think the building of our academy and stadium isn't a "plan", or is it just because you have your head up your arse and can't give anyone credit for anything ? How many clubs would have swapped our "plan" over the last decade for their own "plan". Personally, they can have their "plan", I'll keep our European qualification instead...... :lol::unsure:

Go ahead. Give us factual information, not things you make up or believe just because your cronies are telling you them :)

Talking an excellent game. Although Leazes won't be pleased to hear that he's making "plans".

On the contrary, it isn't me who is saying the manager doesn't have his own "plan", its you and your cronies who are saying everybody has one except us. What I'm saying is it isn't the "plan" who gains success, its the managers ability to know what he is doing. According to you and your cronies, qualifying for europe more than any other team bar 4 over a decade, constitutes not having a "plan", so please tell us how all the other clubs with "plans" didn't do as well as Newcastle United who didn't have one ???? :lol::lol:

Not sure what all this bollox is about 'plans' this and 'plans' that, everybody has a f**king plan, it's how they get through the day. However, if you want to talk about football clubs having plans that are working then i'll suggest Bolton and Arsenal. Bolton for the obvious reason that the club consistently do better on very limited resources and a rather constant player personnel change (lot of them are loans) and Arsenal because they've done fantastically well with what i would imagine is a lesser outlay than us. Pointless mentioning Manure because they're filthy rich or Liverpool because they're extremely famous. Don't mention Chelsea.

The most important plan of any club is to appoint the right manager. They can then plan to give him as much of a transfer budget as is affordable, give him a bit of time (within 2 seasons should see development in the right areas) and then hope for a bit of luck!

Whenever i've heard an ex-manager asked 'What makes a good manager?' the answer has always been the same, 'Good players.' Hopefully the right manager will help set up a good scouting network (if not in place) and then, if lucky, the right players will become available for the right price.

I'm not sure if Roeder's the right man, time will tell but i often use a simple barometer to reckon if a manager's any good, how many players have obviously improved during his tenure? Can't think of any ones that jump out at me during the last year tbh. Milner's been better this season, Butt's returned to his Manure form.......that's about it i think :blink:

Not sure what all this bollox is about 'plans' this and 'plans' that, everybody has a f**king plan, it's how they get through the day. However, if you want to talk about football clubs having plans that are working then i'll suggest Bolton and Arsenal. Bolton for the obvious reason that the club consistently do better on very limited resources and a rather constant player personnel change (lot of them are loans) and Arsenal because they've done fantastically well with what i would imagine is a lesser outlay than us. Pointless mentioning Manure because they're filthy rich or Liverpool because they're extremely famous. Don't mention Chelsea.

The most important plan of any club is to appoint the right manager. They can then plan to give him as much of a transfer budget as is affordable, give him a bit of time (within 2 seasons should see development in the right areas) and then hope for a bit of luck!

Whenever i've heard an ex-manager asked 'What makes a good manager?' the answer has always been the same, 'Good players.' Hopefully the right manager will help set up a good scouting network (if not in place) and then, if lucky, the right players will become available for the right price.

I'm not sure if Roeder's the right man, time will tell but i often use a simple barometer to reckon if a manager's any good, how many players have obviously improved during his tenure? Can't think of any ones that jump out at me during the last year tbh. Milner's been better this season, Butt's returned to his Manure form.......that's about it i think :blink:

what exactly is you'r point FFS?

if you don't have money or reputation or a decent mananger, you need a plan

wow, genius tbh

wow, genius tbh

OK, synopsis :P Hire the right man and then hope he's as lucky as he is talented.

wow, genius tbh

FYI, Invicta, this is precisely the type of post I was referring to on Thursday. Idiotic, non-constructive bullshit from you, as usual. You asked for an example then, and here is one. In the space of one day you've also made plenty of other inane comments on here and on GC as well btw. So, the question is, are you a professional WUM, or just a complete dickhead?

wow, genius tbh

FYI, Invicta, this is precisely the type of post I was referring to on Thursday. Idiotic, non-constructive bullshit from you, as usual. You asked for an example then, and here is one. In the space of one day you've also made plenty of other inane comments on here and on GC as well btw. So, the question is, are you a professional WUM, or just a complete dickhead?

pointing out that he doesn't have a point is not a valid post to you? (ignoring the fact the guy has admitted it you fucking useless wankstain)

I think you're entire paragraph is completely irrelevet, but I'm not going to whine about it like a little bitch

And after the last episode, I'm not even going to bother asking for proof of those 'plenty of other inane comments', as I know you won't provide any

pretty much spot on. Especially the bold bits. I said something like this once before and was immediately slated by the usual "anyone but Fred" bollocks, and "we don't have plan" despite qualifying more for Europe than load of other clubs that do have "plans". Still, Gemma just likes disagreeing with me even though I'm sure he realises I am usually right :P

The one thing I can add, is that a good board supports their manager as much as possible, like ours does. Shite boards don't do this, and there are lots of them around and we could easily be taken over by one.

Edited by LeazesMag

haha LM relying on sniffer to back him up.

At least pick someone credible ffs. Not some absolute fucking mong

haha.....its why I don't pick you. You know fuck all ....... amazing how you think people more experienced than you know nothing, which pretty much sums you up, and some of your cronies too

Sniffer is one of the most credible and informed posters going

haha.....its why I don't pick you. You know fuck all ....... amazing how you think people more experienced than you know nothing, which pretty much sums you up, and some of your cronies too

Im guessing his opinion is probably almost exactly the same as yours then :blink:

More experienced? wtf are you dribbling on about now you dullard?

More experienced? wtf are you dribbling on about now you dullard?

it means you know shite all compared to me, basically :blink:

Im guessing his opinion is probably almost exactly the same as yours then :blink:

aye, the opposite of yours :P

aye, the opposite of yours :angry:

Thought so :P

Why don't you ever post about other subjects Fred?

ask Peasepud if I am Fred :blink:

Still suffering from the delusion that someone will walk into NUFC and be better than the current board, although noticeably you - and others - after all this time, STILL can't tell us who it would be