Planning...

Isegrim

Planning is an inexact science. There are too many unknowns in business to have a contingency for every eventuality that your environment throws up. I think there have been conflicting priorities for the club and the main one has been to stabilise the business and shift the overall philosophy from gambling on big signings. To what is not yet clear.

I have always said that the transfer market is too uncertain to have a fixed plan as each deal is related to other deals in the way the housing market is.

In the business i work in, we have a strategic brand plan each year that is revised as an ongoing process a minimum of 3 times in the year due to unforeseen challenges. We deliver over £30 billion of sales each year so we are really expert at it too. Still feels like guesswork though.

Tomorrow my boss is in Philadelphia doing due dilligence on a product we need. The company that owns it wants to deal but they also want to merge their whole business with our main competitor, in which case the deal is off. If we dont get it, we will be fucked in the area for good. Failure of management if it doesnt come off?

Not in the slightest imo.

Adam mate, you've done this before (comparing the management and strategic planning in your company to that at NUFC) and I can't help but feel it's a sackable offence. :lol:

The you've missed the point, not even we have it down to a precise science. We've been 'planning' this deal for 12 months and its about to go tits up.

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/sport/new...ng_longterm.php

Richie, how many times do Bolton lob it into the penalty area and bundle it over the line? I wasnt really making a point about playing style, just that i know which club is 'better' to support, although clearly trying to be objective about it is impossible.

Alex, just knowing i can have a drink with you makes the experience worthwhile :lol:

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I meant watching the shite that they serve up as entertainment not just visiting that plastic shithole.

Apologies, i didnt mean to flit about the subject. Our previous strategy fell on its arse and we are now in a fucked state as a club. Bolton have done better this season but they arent exactly inspiring.

Bolton are way ahead of us in everything except the football they 'play'.

Crucially, Roeder's way also appears to be Shepherd's preferred path. In the past, the chairman has tended to answer his critics by stressing his willingness to support his manager by buying big.

That support still exists - the Newcastle board would have financed a deal for either Peter Crouch or Anton Ferdinand had either Liverpool or West Ham been persuaded to sell last month - but after years of spending exorbitantly, even a serial cheque-writer like Shepherd is coming to regard parsimony as a virtue.

We play shite football too tbh. Not that I'm a big fan of Allardyce but I think he has a bit about him. would be interesting to see him at a bigger club. Also, he should have got the England job (if it was to be an Englishman) as he's done better than McLaren did on smaller resources.

I'm not even sure the critisism of Bolton's playing style is fully justified anyway. Sure they use some pretty ugly tactics at times but they can also play pretty well when they have to. We're hardly in a position to critisise, a lot of our football has been awful for years.

Planning is an inexact science. There are too many unknowns in business to have a contingency for every eventuality that your environment throws up. I think there have been conflicting priorities for the club and the main one has been to stabilise the business and shift the overall philosophy from gambling on big signings. To what is not yet clear.

I have always said that the transfer market is too uncertain to have a fixed plan as each deal is related to other deals in the way the housing market is.

In the business i work in, we have a strategic brand plan each year that is revised as an ongoing process a minimum of 3 times in the year due to unforeseen challenges. We deliver over £30 billion of sales each year so we are really expert at it too. Still feels like guesswork though.

Tomorrow my boss is in Philadelphia doing due dilligence on a product we need. The company that owns it wants to deal but they also want to merge their whole business with our main competitor, in which case the deal is off. If we dont get it, we will be fucked in the area for good. Failure of management if it doesnt come off?

Adam mate, you've done this before (comparing the management and strategic planning in your company to that at NUFC) and I can't help but feel it's a sackable offence. :lol:

The you've missed the point, not even we have it down to a precise science. We've been 'planning' this deal for 12 months and its about to go tits up.

I don't think I have missed the point tbh. Newcastle haven't operated with a plan for a long time. That's my point. And I'm not sure we had much of a one for this last window. Certainly nothing realistic if this list of Roeder's is actually true.

Of course plans can go wrong and not work out, but I think you're crediting NUFC with a bit too much intelligence.

We play shite football too tbh. Not that I'm a big fan of Allardyce but I think he has a bit about him. would be interesting to see him at a bigger club. Also, he should have got the England job (if it was to be an Englishman) as he's done better than McLaren did on smaller resources.

See the Maccarone quotes about McClaren this morning? Slated.

Allardyce might have done a good job but he didnt want to leave Bolton.

I'm not even sure the critisism of Bolton's playing style is fully justified anyway. Sure they use some pretty ugly tactics at times but they can also play pretty well when they have to. We're hardly in a position to critisise, a lot of our football has been awful for years.

Last three seasons our football has been dreadful for the most part - I'm surprised if we put in a half decent performance these days. We're certainly in no position to look down on Bolton.

For the England job? Allardyce was desperate for it man. Or are you talking about to come to us?

I don't think I have missed the point tbh. Newcastle haven't operated with a plan for a long time. That's my point. And I'm not sure we had much of a one for this last window. Certainly nothing realistic if this list of Roeder's is actually true.

Of course plans can go wrong and not work out, but I think you're crediting NUFC with a bit too much intelligence.

Then you dont mean plan, you mean vision :lol: You are right though, how could we have had a proper direction as a club with the appointments and decisions that have been made. Its important now that someone is allowed to do what Allardyce did and have a strategic vision of where the club should be and how it should make the best use of its resources.

Roeder's comments this morning shows he has a vision for where the club should be in the future. Sounds like a plan to me.

I meant Allardyce coming to us too.

Just read the letter in full in The Times. Oops! :lol:

Just read the letter in full in The Times. Oops! :lol:

In Europe when it is very cold and you are on the bench they give you blankets and hot water bottles to keep you warm. In England they give you nothing as they think that you are Rocky Balboa and that this is the best way to toughen you up.

Puff tbh.

all talk of a DOF is moot as he would never be able to his job correctly as part of the current board

Agree with that. :lol:

Didn't John Hall recently say we needed an active chief executive though?

all talk of a DOF is moot as he would never be able to his job correctly as part of the current board

fat fred fancies himself as chairman, ceo, dof and manager.

we should probably sack everyone and give him a crack at first team coach anarl

fat fred fancies himself as chairman, ceo, dof and manager.

we should probably sack everyone and give him a crack at first team coach anarl

He could use his Hundred Hand Slap to issue attacking instructions.

Exactly, it is a myth that they play scrappy football, they don't, they like to mix it up. They spend a great deal of time practicing set-plays of course but in open play, they play decent stuff at times. Anyway, who on here would swap positions? I would, and don't really care about beautiful football so long as we win. Indeed it says a lot about Big Sam's abilities that he can get a group of foreigners to scrap and fight like traditional British players. I'd have him here in a shot.

Exactly, it is a myth that they play scrappy football, they don't, they like to mix it up. They spend a great deal of time practicing set-plays of course but in open play, they play decent stuff at times. Anyway, who on here would swap positions? I would, and don't really care about beautiful football so long as we win. Indeed it says a lot about Big Sam's abilities that he can get a group of foreigners to scrap and fight like traditional British players. I'd have him here in a shot.

Big Sam is a whinging bastard. He would brick it at SJP.

It surprised me Allerdyce turned us down tbh. He could have had a bungtastic time here.

There are a few rumours as to why such as not being happy seeing Shearer on the interview panel, getting the impression that NUFC weren't at all serious about appointing him, i.e. he was way down the list and a word to the wise from SBR about full control if he did take over. Shame it never did happen because I think we'd be in a far better position today had he taken the job.

It surprised me Allerdyce turned us down tbh. He could have had a bungtastic time here.

There are a few rumours as to why such as not being happy seeing Shearer on the interview panel, getting the impression that NUFC weren't at all serious about appointing him, i.e. he was way down the list and a word to the wise from SBR about full control if he did take over. Shame it never did happen because I think we'd be in a far better position today had he taken the job.

Heard that rumour too, although tbh, you'd dismiss it if it didn't support your point of view. :lol: I heard it wasn't so much he thought NUFC weren't serious about him, rather that a player shouldn't have any say in picking the manager. If it's true, he was right.

Heard that rumour too, although tbh, you'd dismiss it if it didn't support your point of view. :lol: I heard it wasn't so much he thought NUFC weren't serious about him, rather that a player shouldn't have any say in picking the manager. If it's true, he was right.

Didn't Big Sam have a pop at some of our players once when he caught them messing about in a hotel showing staff, hotel and NUFC staff, a lack of respect? I remember reading about it, how he gave them all a bollicking. I bet a few arses twicthed when he was offered the job.