Luque's set for Euro recall

Scottish Mag

Albert Luque has been given a surprise call-up for United's UEFA Cup second-leg clash with Zulte-Waregem at St James' Park tonight.

Glenn Roeder's plans to field the same side which beat Zulte 3-1 in Belgium last Thursday had to be abandoned when Antoine Sibierski failed a fitness test today on a hamstring injury.

Roeder could have switched Kieron Dyer to play alongside Oba Martins, a role the England international has done so well in this season, but the United boss is likely to hand Luque his first start since the goalless draw with Eintracht Frankfurt in Germany at the end of November.

Luque will not need reminding that he was so poor that night in Germany that Roeder was forced to haul him off after an hour and replace him with Martins.

And with young Andy Carroll champing at the bit on the bench tonight, the Spanish striker - he will be 29 early next month - knows that the same fate will probably happen to him again unless he pulls out all the stops.

After seeing their side score three times in Belgium, United fans have every right to expect goals tonight - and this is the perfect opportunity for Luque to add to the goal he scored against Lillestrom at St James' Park in the first game in Europe this season, and also the winner he grabbed against Palermo in Sicily.

This is United's 12th game in Europe this season - they are still unbeaten - and it will be the eighth time that Luque has been involved in either the InterToto or the UEFA Cup and, as they say, the ball is very much in his court.

Meanwhile, Celestine Babayaro will play and then head to London for his brother's funeral tomorrow, and I hope the Nigerian international gets a good reception from the United fans tonight at what is a very sad time for him and his family.

Babayaro will return to Tyneside later tomorrow and train on Saturday before leaving for Sunday's game with Wigan Athletic at the JJB Stadium.

United knew they were always going to have a hard job attracting a big crowd at St James' Park after winning 3-1 in the first leg in Belgium, and the fact the game is again being beamed out live on Channel Five doesn't help.

But when the box office opened today they had sold 25,000 tickets for tonight's game, which is a great effort by their fans, and United are hoping to push this up to as near 30,000 as possible with fans turning up on the night.

Cash turnstiles will be open tonight, at £20 for adults and £10 for youngsters.

The turnstiles are: Sir John Hall NW corner 9 and 13, SJH North East corner 35 and 36, South East corner 52 and 53, SW Corner 71 and 72.

With that first-leg lead, United fans have every right to expect their team to go through to the round of the last 16 in the UEFA Cup, and they can be excused from hoping that their next opponents for a place in the quarter-finals will be AZ Alkmaar after the Dutch team played out a 3-3 draw with Fenerbahce in Turkey in their first leg.

The return in the DSB Stadium in Holland starts a couple of hours before the St James' Park 7.45pm kick-off, meaning that United, or indeed Zulte, would know who they would play in the next round before a ball is kicked.

Bet he does fuck all for the entire game but scores the easiest of goals and his fanboys pull their cocks out again!

I'm going to start a thread like Leazes' latest Craig Bellamy one on here if he does.

:unsure:;):rolleyes::P:P:(

Could've told me this before I shelled out me twenty notes :P

Oh well, at least there will be 25,000 other proper fans alongside me tonight :lol: Might be a few high-pictched voices though and I suppose I will have to moderate my language :)

'Oh flip, Mr Luque, please try a little harder - there's a good chap'

Blatant attempt to put him in the shop window against crap opposition, hopefully prompting interest from spain.

i can't see him playing another game for us in the premiership so this is probably our last chance to bump up his price a bit.

i'm resigned to us either releasing him or loaning him out a'la viana

good luck to the lad

Yes that's all you can say really. I was still hanging on to some hope Roeder would play him back around the time he scored that Palermo goal... but it is useless now and has been for a long long time.

Bet he does fuck all for the entire game but scores the easiest of goals and his fanboys pull their cocks out again!

Or he'll score 3, and the haters will call for him to be dropped again.

If he has a good game and shows the right attitude then no but if he does fuck all apart from score a goal my nan would have put away then he doesn't deserve to be in when everyone is fit.

Bet he does fuck all for the entire game.............................................................................................

I think you would have won that bet if he had played the entire game :)

If he has a good game and shows the right attitude then no but if he does fuck all apart from score a goal my nan would have put away then he doesn't deserve to be in when everyone is fit.

do you think the useless twat will do that after all this time :)

Blatant attempt to put him in the shop window against crap opposition, hopefully prompting interest from spain.

i can't see him playing another game for us in the premiership so this is probably our last chance to bump up his price a bit.

i'm resigned to us either releasing him or loaning him out a'la viana

well I might stick an offer in for him, based on that performance I reckon I could afford him now like.

Seriously though, what's to like about the bloke? Speaking as a Newcastle fan.

Last night was a typical game from Luque for us, just didn't really get in to it and never will while he's wearing our shirt. Better to let him go because we'll never see him do anything decent consistently for us.

Heart the size of a pea tbh. After a good touch early on he faded until, by half-time, he was completely anonymous. Not suggesting the service was good or anything but he looked like he didn't give a shit as usual. And that sitter early on :) Fair enough if he missed or it had been blocked / saved but how did he not make contact with the ball?