Newcastle United Vs AZ Alkmaar Official match thread

Jimbo

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought Carr did alright considering he was marking that disco pants Jenner. Dissapointed with the penalty award, but that's the way things go. I think it would be a mistake to sit back and let them come at us at their place tbh. They looked tasty at times, and let's not kid ourselves that we're able to defend for 90 minutes. Go at them, score early, and we're laughing.

I thought Carr did alright considering he was marking that disco pants Jenner. Dissapointed with the penalty award, but that's the way things go. I think it would be a mistake to sit back and let them come at us at their place tbh. They looked tasty at times, and let's not kid ourselves that we're able to defend for 90 minutes. Go at them, score early, and we're laughing.

The trouble with people talking about us getting an early goal is that we might easily concede one. Something like 80 Minutes with relying on the flattering nevers of Bramble could cost me a lot of hair tbh.

i think that was one of our best attacking performances of the season. the way we moved the ball around was reminiscent of a four or five years ago at times.

butt was immense, dyer, martins and duff were all lively. le sib showed some nice touches, won loads in the air and held the ball up well - bit of a shearer-esque performance tbh. solano should now always be first choice right back and even carr had a steady game at left back.

the only weak link for me was parker. can't fault his effort but his first touch was heavy and he failed to hit the target with his two efforts on goal. if he's playing alongside butt in the middle i think he needs to support the strikers more often and improve his finishing.

Thought Sib had a good game and that assist for Dyer was tasty. Duff's back heel for the fist goal was lovely as well, and I thought he had a decent game. We actually looked like we went out there to entertain, which was great to see.

Martins was excellent again, if he gets a bad injury, we're boned. It's asking a lot of a 22/48 year old to play so many games consecutively without rest.

Thought Sib had a good game and that assist for Dyer was tasty. Duff's back heel for the fist goal was lovely as well, and I thought he had a decent game. We actually looked like we went out there to entertain, which was great to see.

Martins was excellent again, if he gets a bad injury, we're boned. It's asking a lot of a 22/48 year old to play so many games consecutively without rest.

Played more games than anyone else for us this season.

I really enjoyed last nights game. It was reminiscent of NUFC of old - confident, attacking and dare I say it 'sexy' football.

I thought Duff had a good game. When he had the ball he wasn't afraid to take people on. When he didn't have it he was getting into good positions and asking/screaming for it. The lovely back heel for Dyer is an example of confidence. He's not exactly set NUFC alight since he joined but there has been glimpses. Having the confidence to try and pull off a trick like that is a combination of the player and the support he's been getting off the pitch. Roeder et al can take credit for that.

My problem was that we didnt use him enough. I can think of 3 occasions in the first half or so when he got wide, unmarked and was waving/screaming for the ball and we tried to play through the middle.

Carr I thought did OK. First game back after a length injury and played out of position. He didn't do anything outstanding but he got on with his job.

I like Sib's link up play. He's not an out and out striker, but he supports well. I think he's good for a 1yr contract. I know Gemmil has stated he'll be 5th choice but this assumes everyone is fit. This is NUFC and that doesn't happen. Besides he's intelligent and aware of the others around him. I dont think I could see Shola making that kind of play were he in Sib's place.

Our first choice partnership would be Owen and Martins, but that means we need the link up play to come from midfield - something I hope we're working on along with our improvements in using both wings.