United eager to trigger Owen's £9m escape clause

Scottish Mag

If there is a clause in his contract I don't think it's a straight forward release clause, more likely to be activated only if we finish below a certain point in the league or fail to qualify for Europe.

Should be sell him for £9m the whole deal will have cost us £16.3m (£7m loss in transfer fee + £9.7m in wages), a shocking waste of money.

Good chance it's been activated then with this seasons shambles.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Tbh, I wouldn't dislike Owen if he left us. It's totally understandable imo.

I think its despicable tbh, but exactly what I expect from him. Mind, the real blame lies with the negotiation of the contract.

It's professional, nothing else. Owen never joined Newcastle because he loves the sight of the Tyne bridge or the golf courses, but just as he saw it as the only viable career move. 99% of footballers are mercenaries so I don't know why people get so upset about it.

For me the only problem lies with the numbnuts who negotiated the deal. Therefore I am in full agreement with Fop's solution.

Haway man, the lad is a professional footballer - millions are what they get paid, not his fault - who reportedly has a clause in his contract allowing him to leave. We are a substandard employer, and he has maybe 5 years left at the top of his game. Why should he hang around here wasting his career out of misplaced loyalty?

If I go and work somewhere where I'm surrounded by incompetents and I'm not enjoying my work, I'll look to leave. He has to look after number one.

Guest alex

Well, much as I'd hate Owen for leaving on the cheap as I've already said, I wouldn't blame him. Obviously Shepherd's/the board's fault if it's true.

If Owen left for £9million this summer I'd be hoping someone snapped his leg on the opening day of next season in all honesty.

Have to say I agree.

Me too. The injuries weren't his fault, but we've paid a lot of money a ) to sign him and b )to him in wages. He owes us big.

If Owen left for £9million this summer I'd be hoping someone snapped his leg on the opening day of next season in all honesty.

Have to say I agree.

Me too. The injuries weren't his fault, but we've paid a lot of money a ) to sign him and b )to him in wages. He owes us big.

No he doesn't. He doesn't owe us any more than any other employee owes their employer. He's doing a job that happens to be very well paid, but it's still just a job and there are other, better employers out there.

Have to say I agree.

Yep, that will be his thoughts in a couple of decades. He'll look in the mirror and say "ok, I wasted a couple of the best years of my career, but at least I stopped a bunch of fans from idealistic whinging."

Guest alex

I think, morally, he does owe us. I don't expect that to bother him any more than it would the vast majority of players though.

Edited by alex

Have to say I agree.

No he doesn't. He doesn't owe us any more than any other employee owes their employer. He's doing a job that happens to be very well paid, but it's still just a job and there are other, better employers out there.

What job has he been doing for us since January 2006? We have been paying him a king's fucking ransom to play football, and in 16 months he has played approximately 120 minutes of football for us.

Have to say I agree.

What job has he been doing for us since January 2006? We have been paying him a king's fucking ransom to play football, and in 16 months he has played approximately 120 minutes of football for us.

That's football. He was injured through no fault of his own.

He won't go. Not after the last 12 months Owen has had with the club. He knows deep down he owes something to us fans. He'll have at least one more season with us and then re-assess (ie.leave).

Have to say I agree.

That's football. He was injured through no fault of his own.

I know that, but as Alex says, he morally owes us.

I remember one footballer signed for AC Milan and was horrifically injured in his first game. He refused to be paid his wages, and returned the house and car that Milan had bought him. Shame more footballers aren't like that, but I concede that isn't how football works.

Of course, IF such a clause exists, then we deserve everything we get if its activated.

Have to say I agree.

Yeh same here.

Id do it myself.

I remember one footballer signed for AC Milan and was horrifically injured in his first game. He refused to be paid his wages, and returned the house and car that Milan had bought him. Shame more footballers aren't like that, but I concede that isn't how football works.

Gianluigi Lentini?

Challenge for the league and CL with Man U or stay here and push for a UEFA Cup spot?

It's a no brainer really for the neutral, he has one more big move left in him and if he doesn't take the chance this summer it may never come round again, sometimes footballers have to be selfish.

Gianluigi Lentini?

Maybe, I've got no idea what his name was.

Haway man, the lad is a professional footballer - millions are what they get paid, not his fault - who reportedly has a clause in his contract allowing him to leave. We are a substandard employer, and he has maybe 5 years left at the top of his game. Why should he hang around here wasting his career out of misplaced loyalty?

If I go and work somewhere where I'm surrounded by incompetents and I'm not enjoying my work, I'll look to leave. He has to look after number one.

It's not his fault, as such, but it is his choice.

And as such you live with the results of your choices, and frankly he's not daft enough to not understand that if someone did something like it to him (or the club he supports) then he'd likely feel the same way about them.

If someone fucks you over, it may well be understandable, but that in no way means you therefore have to like it (or them) for it.

Guest alex

Gianluigi Lentini?

Maybe, I've got no idea what his name was.

Lentini played for Milan and was badly injured in a car crash. He came back but was never the same. Not sure who Luke's on about though.

Its up to Sam (possibly?) at the end of the day and if Owen isn't or doesn't want to be part of the plans then get as much for him as possible along with the rest of the dross so we can have a decent warchest to spend on fresh blood - i don't beleive in an escape clause but their is alot of spin being spun in order to generate a move for the prodigious england striker (probably by the southern media and his agents)

Escape clause or not, Owen only has 2 years of his contract left, which he obviously will not renew. If we don't sell him now we will take an even bigger hit. It wouldn't surprise me if Shepherd wants to cut his losses, but make it look like Owen is to blame.

Why the f*ck are the press on his back after playing 2 games back from injury, if he went to Man U he would be hated by the Toon fans but also by his former fans at Liverpool p1ss off Ferguson!!!

The speculation makes a good story. They're not on his back at all.