Wednesday's gossip column

Craig

TRANSFER RUMOURS

Inter Milan have opened talks over a £25m bid for West Ham striker Carlos Tevez. (Daily Express)

West Ham are set for a multi-million pound windfall if they sell Tevez this summer after it emerged that under the terms of his four-year playing contract only the London club would benefit from his sale. (The Guardian)

Newcastle midfielder Scott Parker could join West Ham in an £8m switch. (Daily Star)

Portsmouth will step up their bid to land Tottenham striker Jermain Defoe after fears they will miss out on Middlesbrough's Mark Viduka. (Various)

Teddy Sheringham, who has been released by West Ham, is wanted by Major League Soccer side New York Red Bulls but Charlton are also chasing the striker. (The Sun)

Chelsea's Didier Drogba has hinted he could leave in the summer - if the right offer came in - but fellow forward Andriy Shevchenko has insisted he will be staying at Stamford Bridge. (Daily Express)

Tottenham's Hossam Ghaly wants a transfer after complaining that he is either left out of the side or played on the flank rather than in his favoured central midfield position. (Daily Express)

Birmingham are ready to make a shock bid for Newcastle defender Titus Bramble. (Daily Mirror)

New Wigan boss Chris Hutchings is lining up West Ham striker Marlon Harewood as his first signing in a £2.5m deal. (The Sun)

Fulham defender Zat Knight may move to Sunderland. (Various)

Midfielder Fabio Rochemback is set to snub Sporting Lisbon and Benfica and stay at Middlesbrough. (Daily Mirror)

Winger Dennis Rommedahl is ready to quit Charlton for a move to Brondby. (Daily Star)

Leicester will join Preston and Ipswich in the race to sign Carlisle striker Karl Hawley. (Daily Star)

Portsmouth may be closing in again on Udinese midfielder Sulley Muntari after his agent said that only personal terms needed to be resolved in a £6m deal. (Various)

Charlton want West Ham keeper Jimmy Walker. (Daily Star)

Dungannon Swifts forward Mark McAllister will reject a move to Celtic because he is concerned there are too many forwards at the SPL club. (Daily Mail)

Falkirk loan keeper Kasper Schmeicel's future at the club is in doubt following the sacking of Manchester City manager Stuart Pearce. (Daily Express)

Falkirk defender Kenny Milne has signed a new one-year deal with the club and tipped the Bairns to finish sixth in the SPL next season.

OTHER GOSSIP

Neil Warnock is set to quit as manager of Sheffield United and will be replaced by his assistant Stuart McCall. (Various)

The Premier League has acted to defuse the row over irregularities in West Ham's signing of Carlos Tevez and Javier Mascherano, who is now at Liverpool, by sending a letter to all 20 Premiership clubs. (The Sun)

The prospective new owners of Manchester City, a consortium headed by ex-Thai prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra, are close to announcing a successor to Stuart Pearce, who was sacked as manager this week. (The Independent)

New Newcastle manager Sam Allardyce's first task will be to talk to striker Michael Owen, who has been linked to a summer transfer, about his future. (Various)

Chelsea midfielder Mikel Jon Obi has said he is fit for Saturday's FA Cup final against Manchester United, despite limping off with an injury against Everton last weekend. (Daily Mirror)

Ex-Hearts star Scott Crabbe may hang up his boots after East Fife offered him a coaching job. (Daily Record)

Chelsea defender Ashley Cole has said he feels he let down manager Jose Mourinho and his team-mates with some of his performances this season. (The Times from an interview in Chelsea's magazine)

Exeter are unhappy at being told there are no more tickets available for Sunday's Conference play-off against Morecambe. (Daily Telegraph)

AND FINALLY

Former England boss Sven-Goran Eriksson and ex-Football Association chief executive Mark Palios have been invited to Saturday's FA Cup final between Chelsea and Manchester United. (Daily Express)

The decision about whether to close the roof for the FA Cup final may be taken early - using a long-range weather forecast - as the complicated procedure has to be performed the day before a match at Wembley. (Daily Mail)

A record number of police will be on duty for the first FA Cup final at the rebuilt Wembley venue, with 1,000 officers being deployed outside the stadium and in central London. (The Guardian)

I do rate Parker but I worry that he's lost a lot of the fans and it's starting to effect him (although you can never doubt his effort) so if we were offered £8m I think it would be too good to turn down.

I do rate Parker but I worry that he's lost a lot of the fans and it's starting to effect him (although you can never doubt his effort) so if we were offered £8m I think it would be too good to turn down.

I don't care who of our central midfielders leave (ok, I want Emre to leave), but most important is that for next season we establish a central midfield partnership that is actually producing something creative. Having said that, there were reports in Jormany that Saragossa didn't use their option to sign D'Allessandro as they are hoping to hold out for a lower fee than the previously agreed 5m Euro. For that price I'd take him immediately.

Edited by Isegrim

I don't care who of our central midfielders leave (ok, I want Emre to leave), but most important is that for next season we establish a central midfield partnership that is actually producing something creative. Having said that, there were reports in Jormany that Saragossa didn't use their option to sign D'Allessandro as they are hoping to hold out for a lower fee than the previously agreed 5m Euro. For that price I'd take him immediately.

He didn't really impress with Portsmouth like.

Guest alex

If Parker goes, will Given be the captain or someone else?

It will definitely either be Given or someone else.

If Parker goes, will Given be the captain or someone else?

It will definitely either be Given or someone else.

I would hope he make Butt his captain, even if Parker stays.

Oh Captain, my Captain and all that gayness.

So will West Ham receive the transfer fee for Tevez if he goes? Or will his agents get it or whoever owns his contract get the money? Surely someone can come out and clear the air who will get the funds.

I think Parker has taken a lot of grief this season. I agree he's not performed as we would have hoped (particularly as Captain) but then neither has most of the rest of the team.

We need to keep him as he's one of the players who actually wants to play for us. If we play with a tactical plan (something which as been missing all season) I think we'll see a better Parker.

I don't buy into this 'all he does is pirouette' bollocks. When he has no-one else to pass to 'cos the midfield aren't creating space then he has to hold the ball. When he first joined us he played well and led by example. We all felt he deserved the Captaincy (I remember the polls on here).

There are other areas we need to change and strengthen in the team. We should concentrate on those. I think Parker will come good under Sam.

D'Allessandro has had a decent season in Spain, however as someone has pointed out he struggled at Portsmouth with the pace and the physical side of the game, I can't see how that would change if he came here.

As for Parker, I don't think he'll be a loss, Butt has proved this season that he's the better holding man and we could always pick up a midfielder like Faye (at Bolton) on the cheap, he can cover the CB position too.

As has been noted upon this forum before Parker unfortunately is a jack of all trades master of none in the midfield - don't get me wrong i think he gives 100% effort but he lacks the positional sense to be a defensive midfielder and the passing range and shooting accuracy for an attacking midfielder - so for 8 million then egghead can get his biscuit tin out and have him - no bother

Could be worth a punt trying him as an attacking midfielder, he was good at it at Charlton, don't see what could have changed since. When Roeder told him to we didn't really have anyone to cover behind him so I don't think he could attempt it properly, but I suppose we're not gonna get a better offer anywhere else.

:)

I think Parker has taken a lot of grief this season. I agree he's not performed as we would have hoped (particularly as Captain) but then neither has most of the rest of the team.

We need to keep him as he's one of the players who actually wants to play for us. If we play with a tactical plan (something which as been missing all season) I think we'll see a better Parker.

I don't buy into this 'all he does is pirouette' bollocks. When he has no-one else to pass to 'cos the midfield aren't creating space then he has to hold the ball. When he first joined us he played well and led by example. We all felt he deserved the Captaincy (I remember the polls on here).

There are other areas we need to change and strengthen in the team. We should concentrate on those. I think Parker will come good under Sam.

Totally agree with this...

I agree in the main. I'd still take £8million though. In a shot.

Agree with that - if we can get more for him than we paid, cash in tbh.

D'Allessandro has had a decent season in Spain, however as someone has pointed out he struggled at Portsmouth with the pace and the physical side of the game, I can't see how that would change if he came here.

Eh, I don't think he really struggled at Pompey at all. That's why I am bit surprised about yours and GK's memory. He had a fantastic start there and made an immediate impact. Maybe he faded away a bit after his good start, but he he still made a huge contribution to them surprisingly staying up under Redknapp. IIRC a permanent deal only fell through as Pompey didn't want to match Wolfsburg's asking price.

Eh, I don't think he really struggled at Pompey at all. That's why I am bit surprised about yours and GK's memory. He had a fantastic start there and made an immediate impact. Maybe he faded away a bit after his good start, but he he still made a huge contribution to them surprisingly staying up under Redknapp. IIRC a permanent deal only fell through as Pompey didn't want to match Wolfsburg's asking price.

It's a bit of a worry if he did fade away after a good start considering he only made 13 appearances, I remember he scored a great goal for them which I thought a lot of people over rated him from at the time.

His goal stats over the last few years are hardly great either.

I can't claim to have watched many Portsmouth games at the time but from memory he seemed to get substituted in a lot of what I saw and I remember he was pretty useless up here.

It's a bit of a worry if he did fade away after a good start considering he only made 13 appearances, I remember he scored a great goal for them which I thought a lot of people over rated him from at the time.

His goal stats over the last few years are hardly great either.

I am not that fussed about midfielders necessarily having to score goals as long as they contribute enough to the overall attacking game. The 'faded away' bit was just about why I think someone could consider he struggled at Pompey, something I think is just absolutely nonsense, because he was still playing considerably well, just not as eye catching as at the start.

I can't claim to have watched many Portsmouth games at the time but from memory he seemed to get substituted in a lot of what I saw and I remember he was pretty useless up here.

I remember a couple of raving reviews about his displays and Redknapp stating that he would like to build a team around him which lead to several weeks of negotiating a deal that didn't come off.

And I looked it up. He played 13 games and got taken off 4 times. Once against ManU at half time and twice in the latter stages of games when Pompey were leading.