Wednesday's gossip column

Craig

I do rate Parker but I worry that he's lost a lot of the fans and it's starting to effect him (although you can never doubt his effort) so if we were offered £8m I think it would be too good to turn down.

I don't care who of our central midfielders leave (ok, I want Emre to leave), but most important is that for next season we establish a central midfield partnership that is actually producing something creative. Having said that, there were reports in Jormany that Saragossa didn't use their option to sign D'Allessandro as they are hoping to hold out for a lower fee than the previously agreed 5m Euro. For that price I'd take him immediately.

D'Allessandro has had a decent season in Spain, however as someone has pointed out he struggled at Portsmouth with the pace and the physical side of the game, I can't see how that would change if he came here.

Eh, I don't think he really struggled at Pompey at all. That's why I am bit surprised about yours and GK's memory. He had a fantastic start there and made an immediate impact. Maybe he faded away a bit after his good start, but he he still made a huge contribution to them surprisingly staying up under Redknapp. IIRC a permanent deal only fell through as Pompey didn't want to match Wolfsburg's asking price.

I can't claim to have watched many Portsmouth games at the time but from memory he seemed to get substituted in a lot of what I saw and I remember he was pretty useless up here.

I remember a couple of raving reviews about his displays and Redknapp stating that he would like to build a team around him which lead to several weeks of negotiating a deal that didn't come off.

And I looked it up. He played 13 games and got taken off 4 times. Once against ManU at half time and twice in the latter stages of games when Pompey were leading.

See that's why I didn't bother looking it up, I knew Jorman efficiency would help me out :)

Well I stand corrected, it was probably just the game up here and the Manure game I was thinking about.

I remember him looking brilliant for the Argies U21's but I haven't really seen much of him since then.

I agree though that we are desperate for someone of his type of creative ability. We haven't really had it since Pedro & Ginola and it's what I had hoped for from Emre.

Tuncay would be a better option as a playmaker although getting him to come here may be tricky.

I don't doubt there are some better/other options, but I guess someone who is on the market for 5m Euro could be worth a try when you consider that our squad needs a lot investment during the summer.

I think Parker has taken a lot of grief this season. I agree he's not performed as we would have hoped (particularly as Captain) but then neither has most of the rest of the team.

We need to keep him as he's one of the players who actually wants to play for us. If we play with a tactical plan (something which as been missing all season) I think we'll see a better Parker.

I don't buy into this 'all he does is pirouette' bollocks. When he has no-one else to pass to 'cos the midfield aren't creating space then he has to hold the ball. When he first joined us he played well and led by example. We all felt he deserved the Captaincy (I remember the polls on here).

There are other areas we need to change and strengthen in the team. We should concentrate on those. I think Parker will come good under Sam.

According to OPTA Parker put in more tackles last season than anyone else in the league

I think Parker has taken a lot of grief this season. I agree he's not performed as we would have hoped (particularly as Captain) but then neither has most of the rest of the team.

We need to keep him as he's one of the players who actually wants to play for us. If we play with a tactical plan (something which as been missing all season) I think we'll see a better Parker.

I don't buy into this 'all he does is pirouette' bollocks. When he has no-one else to pass to 'cos the midfield aren't creating space then he has to hold the ball. When he first joined us he played well and led by example. We all felt he deserved the Captaincy (I remember the polls on here).

There are other areas we need to change and strengthen in the team. We should concentrate on those. I think Parker will come good under Sam.

According to OPTA Parker put in more tackles last season than anyone else in the league

You could find statistics to prove anything to be honest Dogmatix.. Do these stats tell you how succesful these tackles were, what he did with the ball after he won it (If he did at all), where these tackles were made, how many times he was tackled himself, how many revolutions per minute Scott Parker made this season?

P.S. Apparently OPTA's first choice 15

James

Finnan Ferdinand Carvalho Barry

Ronaldo Fabregas Lampard Arteta

Drogba Berbatov

Subs.

Rooney, Gerrard, P Neville, Giggs.

Would they have been your first choice from the prem this season?

That's not far off team of the year like.

when it's in front of you it makes sense, but would you really have put Finnan and Barry in the team? They probably deserve it, but they wouldn't have been my gut reaction first choice.

and I wouldn not have picked Phil Neville... on principle :D

Guest alex

when it's in front of you it makes sense, but would you really have put Finnan and Barry in the team? They probably deserve it, but they wouldn't have been my gut reaction first choice.

Finnan's been absolutely class. Who would you have ahead of Barry btw?

Finnan's been absolutely class. Who would you have ahead of Barry btw?

I've been really impressed with Nicky Shorey this season, he's been my MoTM for most of the games I've seen him play.

Finnan (on further consideration) is probably right though.

I think my point was diluted by posting the OPTA team first, I should have asked Dogmatix for his first choice, then married that to the OPTA one, highlighting that stats aren't neccesarily a perfect indicator of perrformance.

hindsight is a wonderful thing :D

also Lampard, Ferdinand, Barry, Arteta and Fabregas are contentious imo

you could easily have Gerrard, Shorey, Gamst Pedersen and Essien in there on performances.

Guest alex

I rate Essien but he's suffered from being moved about. He's completely wasted at centre-back where he is nowt special.

Arteta is a big reason why Everton have done as well as they have like. Really came into his own this season. As for Essien, I agree with Alex, awesome player, but suffered from Mourinho not having any centrehalves or not trusting the ones he had.

I think my point was diluted by posting the OPTA team first, I should have asked Dogmatix for his first choice, then married that to the OPTA one, highlighting that stats aren't neccesarily a perfect indicator of perrformance.

you could easily have Gerrard, Shorey, Gamst Pedersen and Essien in there on performances.

Statistics should be used like a drunk man uses a lamp post: for support rather than illumination.

hindsight is a wonderful thing ;)

Statistics should be used like a drunk man uses a lamp post: for support rather than illumination.

:D

You can fuck off too. Gerrard's been utter wank this season

I do rate Parker but I worry that he's lost a lot of the fans and it's starting to effect him (although you can never doubt his effort) so if we were offered £8m I think it would be too good to turn down.

I don't care who of our central midfielders leave (ok, I want Emre to leave), but most important is that for next season we establish a central midfield partnership that is actually producing something creative. Having said that, there were reports in Jormany that Saragossa didn't use their option to sign D'Allessandro as they are hoping to hold out for a lower fee than the previously agreed 5m Euro. For that price I'd take him immediately.

He didn't really impress with Portsmouth like.

d'allesandro was their best player that season since he joined on loan. really good player. been very good at zaragoza this season.