What are you reading?

Brock Manson

George Orwell - Coming up for air.

As recommended by Manc-Mag :icon_lol:

Just finished this book.

A good read and enjoyable most of the way through, a couple of ''non-chapters'' and Orwell appears to be a bit of a hypocrite if you cross reference this with his essays based around popular literature of the time but still a decent read.

• 2 months later...

Recently finished:

Richard K. Morgan - Altered Carbon

Richard K. Morgan - Broken Angels

Peter Carey - Theft

Nick Hornby - A long way down

Currently reading John Birmingham's Weapons of choice and waiting on Billy Furious's And they wonder why we drink to arrive.

Just about finished Paul Smith's Wasted?.

It's one of the best autobiographies I've read. For those who don't know him, he was a cricketer best known for being part of the Warwickshire side who won the treble in the early 90s but then got banned from the game because of recreational drug use. One of his team-mates had an affair with the mother of his child for several years, he lost custody to his children, he ended up homeless for a short while and now he's helping people who have drug habits to get their interest back in life.

• 2 weeks later...
Right

I am having a break from Rankin and Rebus.

Who can recommend me a good Biog?

Just about to start Joe Calzaghe's biog, but also tempted with this one:

3410999xsa8.jpg

I've just read Jon Ronson's 'Men Who Stare At Goats' and it's fantastic. Makes you feel like you're learning something (although it's a something that'll never be very useful) but it's fascinating and really well written. I originally bought it as a Christmas present but decided I wanted it instead.

Just about finished Paul Smith's Wasted?.

It's one of the best autobiographies I've read. For those who don't know him, he was a cricketer best known for being part of the Warwickshire side who won the treble in the early 90s but then got banned from the game because of recreational drug use. One of his team-mates had an affair with the mother of his child for several years, he lost custody to his children, he ended up homeless for a short while and now he's helping people who have drug habits to get their interest back in life.

Sounds right up my street that, might look out for that one.

I bought my son the following Boigraphys for xmas....DC's. Sir Ranulph Fienne's, Richard Hammond's, Jackie Stewart's and Lewis Hamilton's.....plenty for me to read!!

Edited by Toonraider

• 2 weeks later...

Flicking through Metro this morning I read about Crusaders the new book by Richard T Kelly out today. Can't find the article, bu I thought given it's North Eastern bent a few on here might be interested...

Maybe it’s a post-Blair drawing of breath, but, suddenly, the British state-of-the-nation novel is back in fashion. Last year saw Blake Morrison searching for the country’s soul in South of the River; this spring we are promised several further explorations of the pre- and post-Thatcher era by Philip Hensher, Helen Walsh and Hanif Kureishi. All three, though, will have to work mightily to match the steepling ambition of Richard T Kelly’s promising debut, Crusaders.

Kelly, who has previously written a clutch of film books, mentions Dostoevsky in his afterword (which gives you some idea of his aims), but there is more than an echo in this novel, too, of the grand Victorian social and political set piece. Big, unshowy and unafraid to take its time in laying out its themes or exploring its territory, Crusaders wants to map out a whole region, Kelly’s native northeast, and show how the landscape there (and, by extension, in the rest of Britain) changed between the 1970s and new Labour’s coming to power in 1997.

The central figure in this quest is John Gore, a naive young clergyman, who, after an unsatisfactory sojourn in the West Country, returns north in the autumn of 1996 to “plant” a new church in a run-down, crime-infested corner of Newcastle. Motivated as much by his dead grandfather’s coalface politics as his own wavering faith, Gore throws himself wide-eyed into the community and quickly becomes enmeshed with four locals who dramatically complicate his mission – Stevie Coulson, a one-time bouncer with an unexamined respect for the church and a profitable line in “protection”; Lindy Clark, an attractive single mother fighting neighbourhood disdain and trying to juggle several mysterious jobs; Martin Pallister, a former left-wing firebrand who has thrown over his beliefs to become an opposition MP; and the forthright evangelical priest Simon Barlow, a contemporary of Gore’s at theological college, who questions his classmate’s faith and effectiveness while recognising the threat he poses.

Although Kelly spends a long time setting up his story, shifting back and forth between the past and present of Gore, Coulson and Pallister, plot is not a great strength of the book – the denouement, for one thing, is too rushed. Nor are some of the protagonists, despite Kelly’s extraordinary ability to conjure up a wide array of secondary characters, entirely satisfactory; heavily fleshed out though they are, Gore and the self-righteous Coulson both ultimately seem too naive. But these drawbacks are more than compensated for by the breadth and precision of the author’s portrait of the northeast, by the great strength of his dialogue, and in particular by his ethical sensibility. For all the geographical focus, this is a novel ultimately about faith and morals – morals upheld, morals compromised, morals abandoned – and Kelly’s complex and sophisticated handling of this theme ensures that the reader remains involved until the last page of this long but rewarding book.

Joel Rickett, The Independent on Sunday, January 6 2008

`A powerful, assured literary arrival that will create loyal congregations of devoted followers... darkly humorous... reaches a thrilling crescendo.'

Alfred Hickling, The Guardian, January 5 2008

`A Dostoyevskian doorstopper... with an almost Tolstoyan seriousness of purpose... A weighty achievement... its long, complex narrative is impressively sustained.'

Recently finished:

Richard K. Morgan - Altered Carbon

Richard K. Morgan - Broken Angels

Peter Carey - Theft

Nick Hornby - A long way down

Currently reading John Birmingham's Weapons of choice and waiting on Billy Furious's And they wonder why we drink to arrive.

Just finished that as well.

Kind of sci fi you'd like ALEX.

just got Stephen Fry's Moab is my washtub...something to read when the missus is in labour :icon_lol:

I've read that, quite enjoyable.

Re-reading I Am Legend. Fancied reading it again after seeing the film. Its a good read. I thought the film was ok but as usual the book is much better.

On the Road. As others have said in this thread, it's brilliant.

:icon_lol:

Big Sur is the sort of follow-up (10 years on) when fame and cynicism have hit home.

The Dharma Bums is excellent too.

Edited by alex

Big Sur is the sort of follow-up (10 years on) when fame and cynicism have hit home.

Good stuff, I'll look into getting them. Like yourself I've got a mountain of books in my 'to read' pile at the moment, and I'm a pretty slow reader!

You had a chance to look at Kite Runner yet btw?

Good stuff, I'll look into getting them. Like yourself I've got a mountain of books in my 'to read' pile at the moment, and I'm a pretty slow reader!

You had a chance to look at Kite Runner yet btw?

No, but it's in 'the pile'. Want to read it before I watch the film though.