What are you reading?

Brock Manson

Recently read Breakfast at Tiffany's by Capote, much shorter than I expected, but thoroughly enjoyable.

Currently reading Midnight's Children by Rushdie - I sort of read it in fits and starts as it's fairly intimidating, and a bit hard going! Going to start 'A short history of tractors in Ukranian' as a side project for when I need something a little less demanding.

Recently read Breakfast at Tiffany's by Capote, much shorter than I expected, but thoroughly enjoyable.

Currently reading Midnight's Children by Rushdie - I sort of read it in fits and starts as it's fairly intimidating, and a bit hard going! Going to start 'A short history of tractors in Ukranian' as a side project for when I need something a little less demanding.

You should read 'In Cold Blood' by Capote which is class (recommended by resident phillistine Gemmill believe it or not). It's nowt like Breakfast... though. I tried 'Midnight's Children' once. Couldn't be arsed.

You should read 'In Cold Blood' by Capote which is class (recommended by resident phillistine Gemmill believe it or not). It's nowt like Breakfast... though. I tried 'Midnight's Children' once. Couldn't be arsed.

I mainly want to finish it to prove I'm brighter than my mum, who never could! Enjoyed Breakfast... enough to browse through Capote's body of work, will look that one out next I think, cheers.

Not reading anything at the moment but thought I would look on Amazon just incase there was anything. When I buy a book its generally on a reccomendation from someone or from a experince from an author.

My gfriend is a Harry Potter fan so when I looked at it on Amazon today I was a bit miffed to look at people already giving it 5 stars yet its not even out!!

Why? Stop it you freaks!

Got some cannt stuff to get my teeth into from today.

A Shearer Bok thing, plus a general footy greats thing, a cracking guitar book (includes greats such as Gilmore, Prince, and various Blues), and a local history one. Last but not least, flanimals :blink: Aye, you're getting my range of literature now :calmdown:

Oh and erm .... hic!

Hmmm right I fancy a crime, thriller, action type book for when I go away next week.

Anyone reccomend anything?

Recently read Beach Road by James Patterson, certainly reccomend that.

Hmmm right I fancy a crime, thriller, action type book for when I go away next week.

Nancy Drew.

Hmmmm looked this up and found this in a review

These are timeless classics for young girls growing up.

So anyone want to put another reccomendation my way pls?

michael connelly's early stuff is quite good. Blood work, the black echo, black ice, etc.

'Donnie Brasco' by Joseph D. Pistone

About his six years infiltrating the mafia, which inspired the film. Great stuff!

Next up is:

'All fun and games until someone loses an eye' by Chris Brookmyre.

Stuart Macbride - Dying Light

It's alright, will probably read it to the end but not as gripping as some. Recently read Karin Slaughter - Indelible, Ian Rankin - The Black Book, Lynda La Plante - Red Dahlia, all very good.

I've raided the shelves of the gay section at Lewisham Library again - well, it's actually a trolley that they keep moving around. Social exclusion-tastic! <_< - so I'll be ploughing my way through Colm Tóibín's The Story Of The Night and Felice Picano's The Book Of Lies over Christmas. Picked up Nick Cave's novel too, looked like it might be worth a look.

I got sidetracked by some Paulo Coelho, so this was the only one of the three I got through in the end. Decent read and Tóibín's clearly a skilled writer, but I'd really like to read a piece of "proper" gay lit that isn't set in the 80s and doesn't involve lots of AIDS-related deaths. I appreciate it's a defining topic for authors of a certain age, but by god it gets dull after a while.

I've raided the shelves of the gay section at Lewisham Library again - well, it's actually a trolley that they keep moving around. Social exclusion-tastic! :lol: - so I'll be ploughing my way through Colm Tóibín's The Story Of The Night and Felice Picano's The Book Of Lies over Christmas. Picked up Nick Cave's novel too, looked like it might be worth a look.

I got sidetracked by some Paulo Coelho, so this was the only one of the three I got through in the end. Decent read and Tóibín's clearly a skilled writer, but I'd really like to read a piece of "proper" gay lit that isn't set in the 80s and doesn't involve lots of AIDS-related deaths. I appreciate it's a defining topic for authors of a certain age, but by god it gets dull after a while.

Have you read any Armistead Maupin?

Have you read any Armistead Maupin?

Picked up "Tales Of The City" at a charity shop at some point, but it's still sitting on the shelf gathering dust...

It's canny good. Read Babycakes too. Might read some more of his stuff actually, had forgotten all about him. Being set in San Francisco would make them a must-read for Gemmill too, obviously.

Guest Patrokles

Adrift in a Vanishing City is a decent book. Bit arty. The Virgin Suicides remains one of my all-time favourite books. Updike's Rabbit books are also very good.