What are you reading?

Brock Manson

Guest Patrokles

To be honest, and at the risk of derision, most of the reading I've done recently has been poetry. Poetry, or calvin & hobbes.

Guest Patrokles

I keep meaning to read some Updike.

You can get three of the Rabbit books as an anthology reasonably cheap. They're very good studies of sex and loneliness.

Guest Patrokles

To be honest, and at the risk of derision, most of the reading I've done recently has been poetry. Poetry, or calvin & hobbes.

That's just saved you from the derision. :lol:

It's one of the only things I can read reasonably often without getting tired of it. Although I think my favourite cartoon strips are the 'Alex' ones. My mum got me the collected Alex strips a christmas or two ago.

It's one of the only things I can read reasonably often without getting tired of it. Although I think my favourite cartoon strips are the 'Alex' ones. My mum got me the collected Alex strips a christmas or two ago.

They sound great :icon_lol:

Might amazon that Updike book with the four Rabbit novels. I've got about 10 books to read (as ever) after my current one but none are really appealing at present.

Guest Patrokles

They sound great :icon_lol:

Might amazon that Updike book with the four Rabbit novels. I've got about 10 books to read (as ever) after my current one but none are really appealing at present.

I'd seriously recommend the Virgin Suicides before the Rabbit books, if you haven't already read it. It's a very quick read, mainly because it's so engrossing.

Guest Patrokles

I haven't read Rabbit at Rest, I think it must have been written after I got hold of the three book anthology. I should really get it, I suppose, but there's always a degree of worry that it's just going to be shit, written so long after the others.

• 2 weeks later...

Sort of reading two things at the minute:

A biography of Hugo Chavez

and

The Life and Opinions of Tristram Shandy

Both are good, but I got a bit bogged down with them over Christmas and haven't got back into them yet.

Get around to reading The Virgin Suicides yet, alex?

Got about 40 pages to go so I'll probably finish it tonight. Really enjoying it, cheers.

No Limit Hold Em Theory And Practice - Sklansky and Miller. Heavy going.

Oh and the Viz annual when I'm on the bog.

And Why Don't Penguins Feet Freeze - you'd like that, alex, it's did-you-know-tastic!

Just finished Civilization and Its Discontents (Sigmund Freud) which was surprisingly readable and I flew through it. Very interesting. It fit in nicely with watching Little Miss Sunshine. From now on I'm going to selfilshly pursue happiness with scant regard for anyone else. I'm now a do-er, not an avoider.

Now reading this month's Sight and Sound with articles on African classics and Robert Altman.

Guest Patrokles

Got about 40 pages to go so I'll probably finish it tonight. Really enjoying it, cheers.

:lol: Any time!

Last Post, a book about World War 1, "the final word from our first world war soldiers." Quite a decent read if not a bit sad, especially as some of them said they hoped to never see war again, yet some were dragged into WW2.

Edited by Howaythetoon

;) Any time!

Finished it, excellent. Just started 'Delta of Venus'. Didn't realise it was that erotic like (it is a Penguin Classic I'll have you know). Good though :lol: