Champions League Final

Kid Dynamite

Seems strange to me that there are so many fans here that have in the past said they would rather see Newcastle win a corner than see England win the world cup, but suddenly get patriotic and emotional when Liverpool play an Italian team in the European Cup final.

Good point Jimbo.

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems strange to me that there are so many fans here that have in the past said they would rather see Newcastle win a corner than see England win the world cup, but suddenly get patriotic and emotional when Liverpool play an Italian team in the European Cup final.

Good point Jimbo.

I don't see a contradiction to be honest...

Newcastle > England > A British team in Europe

I think we all agree, that's the order. Whether or not you'd put AC milan at the end or second last has nothing to do with the first 2 positions.

Good point Jimbo.

I think we all agree, that's the order. Whether or not you'd put AC milan at the end or second last has nothing to do with the first 2 positions.

Aren't some folk advocating;

Newcastle > A British team in Europe >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> England

Odd that someone could feel patriotic to another English club, but not the England team.

Guest alex

The correct order is Newcastle > England > Any team playing another English team.*

*Tricky when two other English teams play.

Edited by alex

Good point Jimbo.

Aren't some folk advocating;

Newcastle > A British team in Europe >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> England

Odd that someone could feel patriotic to another English club, but not the England team.

Dunno, I must've missed that page.

Both teams have people I'd like to see win it or lose it. Personally I'd enjoy watching Gatusso cry just as much as Bellamy. But I'd like to see players I respect like Kaka or Gerrard and Carragher win it.

This comes up every time an English club plays in a European final. ;)

While some people say they prefer Newcastle to win a corner rather than England win the world cup, I doubt they're crying every time the national team score a goal tbh.

Newcastle comes first for me, always will. Then England/other English teams have my vested interest ahead of other nations/teams from other nations of whom I have little opinion.

Seeing as we're currently not of the standard to play in the Champions League, I see no problem in me wanting another English club to win it. I accept that others don't see it that way.

The correct order is Newcastle > England > Any team playing another English team.*

That's your correct order - people are entitled to see it differently though...

and think it is incredibly small minded of people to not want that because the team isn't Newcastle.

The way I explained it at work today to a "football fan" who couldn't understand why I wanted them to lose was "You've obviously never seen your team play them, you've never been to Anfield to see your team play with all that involves off the pitch and most of all you don't remember what utter, utter bastards they were when they were top dogs".

I'm not sure what your point is. I've seen them play at Anfield, as a neutral and against us. Never had any problems, in defeat or victory.

I know you have a certain amount of bitterness towards Liverpool, for me the irony is I'll be the one treated as the odd one for wanting a fellow Northern team to do well, not you for preferring an Italian one to do well. Oh well, never mind, hoped you enjoyed Kaka's latin religious sentiments.

;)

I didnt know Kaka had signed for Athletico

Guest alex

As soon as England look like doing well some people change their tune. Then change back again when we get knocked out. I don't get English people not supporting England anyway, it's not like they play Newcastle ever.

Guest alex

It's funny Renton coming out with that small-minded comment as he doesn't like England because of the way a few arseholes went on at the Stadium of Light iirc ;)

I never had a real massive passion for England, only in Italia 90 and Euro 96 I would say the rest I have had no massive interest.

It would prolly change if we had a manager in charge who wasnt a twat ala Sven and the Ginger twat!

As for people supporting Man Ure and the Scousers in the final I dont understand, the rest of the tournament they want them to get dicked? So why for the final change their tune?

As soon as England look like doing well some people change their tune. Then change back again when we get knocked out. I don't get English people not supporting England anyway, it's not like they play Newcastle ever.

I agree with you on that one. However I think the "would rather see Newcastle win a corner..." comment gets taken out of context.

What i think people mean when they say that is that Newcastle is their main interest and when a club v country issue crops up (remember the Bellamy playing for Wales and getting injured and therefore never playing for us carry on?), they're going to back the club every time.

Whenever England play, I desperately want them to win - they're my country and I'm gutted when we don't.

and think it is incredibly small minded of people to not want that because the team isn't Newcastle.

The way I explained it at work today to a "football fan" who couldn't understand why I wanted them to lose was "You've obviously never seen your team play them, you've never been to Anfield to see your team play with all that involves off the pitch and most of all you don't remember what utter, utter bastards they were when they were top dogs".

I'm not sure what your point is. I've seen them play at Anfield, as a neutral and against us. Never had any problems, in defeat or victory.

I know you have a certain amount of bitterness towards Liverpool, for me the irony is I'll be the one treated as the odd one for wanting a fellow Northern team to do well, not you for preferring an Italian one to do well. Oh well, never mind, hoped you enjoyed Kaka's latin religious sentiments.

:D

God gave him the talent to play football but made him stupid enough to believe.

I think it's lovely to see Renton, NJS etc in typical fashion being open-minded, tolerant and non-hypocritical as always.

It's a t-shirt for goodness sake. You'll get over it. Go wear a "I'm not stupid enough to believe" t-shirt down the streets in Newcastle if this issue really touches both of you so much.

Part of my post was deliberately an intent to re-establish common ground with NJS, I admit.

But you've raised some interesting issues.

How would you feel if Kaka had on his shirt (which you imply is meaningless, even though it might be viewed by 3 BILLION people):

There is no God

Allah is the only God

Become a Scientologist at www.................

Confuscias says...........

I bet you wouldn't be happy at the first two at least. Now, consider why in a supposed secular country I'm not chuffed at someone criticising me for making an observation about a highly paid sports star making such an overt proclamation......

Tbh, while it wouldn't really annoy me, I don't think he should say there is no God simply as that is done to be provocative - is saying he belongs to Jesus provocative? As for the rest, personally I'm not too bothered - certainly something I'd take lightly. :D

I never had a real massive passion for England, only in Italia 90 and Euro 96 I would say the rest I have had no massive interest.

It would prolly change if we had a manager in charge who wasnt a twat ala Sven and the Ginger twat!

As for people supporting Man Ure and the Scousers in the final I dont understand, the rest of the tournament they want them to get dicked? So why for the final change their tune?

Says who?? :D

In general conversation with people at work and some threads on here. During the group stages if Man Ure have lost people are laughing etc, yet in the final its differnt.

the British media would do well to be a little less hasty to lump all the blame on a police force trying to deal with the situation.

I don't know what they've been saying on 5 Live but tbf to Talksport they were having a right go at the Liverpool fans this morning.

The behaviour of England fans has had a lot to do with peoples apathy towards England, much in the same way as the behaviour of Liverpools fans has lead to todays rejoicing

the British media would do well to be a little less hasty to lump all the blame on a police force trying to deal with the situation.

I don't know what they've been saying on 5 Live but tbf to Talksport they were having a right go at the Liverpool fans this morning.

Thats odd, Beaky and Brazil normally wank over Liverpoo and Man Ure. Its got that bad I dont listen to TalkShite anymore.

Guest alex

That's your correct order - people are entitled to see it differently though...

No shit :D :D

Guest alex

The behaviour of England fans has had a lot to do with peoples apathy towards England, much in the same way as the behaviour of Liverpools fans has lead to todays rejoicing

There's some fucking knackers follow England like. Total scum.

Thats odd, Beaky and Brazil normally wank over Liverpoo and Man Ure. Its got that bad I dont listen to TalkShite anymore.

I don't know who it was on as I never usually listen to TS but he was on around 10.30.

In general conversation with people at work and some threads on here. During the group stages if Man Ure have lost people are laughing etc, yet in the final its differnt.

That's because every single person at Man U is despicable individual who desrves nothing but pain in their black black hearts, same as Chelsea, I'd always want those teams to lose a final.

Wouldn't (and didn't) mind liverpool winning simply because I like the manager and at least a few players.

Guest alex

Hurrah, one of the world's biggest divers, the whiningliest hardman and the priggish Milan fans celebrate yet another victory.

Was Hamann playing for them like? :D

Hurrah, one of the world's biggest divers, the whiningliest hardman and the priggish Milan fans celebrate yet another victory.

Preferable to the Germans winning anyway! :D