Top Posters In This Topic

You better watch out, you better not cry

Better not pout, I'm telling you why

Santa Claus is coming to town

He's making a list and checking it twice

Gonna find out who's naughty and nice

Santa Claus is coming to town

B)

Newcastle United is set for a boardroom shake-up within days as Mike Ashley's St James' Park revolution gathers pace.

The Chronicle can exclusively reveal billionaire Mike Ashley will meet Toon directors to review their futures at the club.

The 42-year-old sports tycoon wants to replace the current board members with his own people and changes are expected to take place any day now.

He has written to directors asking for their resignations.

Sir John Hall's children Douglas Hall and Allison Antonopoulos are set to confirm they are going on Monday.

Chairman Freddy Shepherd is expected to stay. But the Newcastle futures of his brother Bruce Shepherd and finance expert Timothy Revill are uncertain.

Key players from Mr Ashley's camp and the current board members will thrash out the details at St James' Park within days.

Once the changes have taken place Mr Ashley is expected to start splashing the millions he feels are necessary to transform the club into a leading force in world football.

A source close to Mr Ashley said: "This is all part of Mr Ashley's strategic review of Newcastle United.

"This is the first phase that will result in boardroom changes.

"It is all about getting his own people in there, people he knows and trusts with whom he has worked for many years.

"Now that he is the majority shareholder he has the power to do that."

He added: "These changes will give Mr Ashley a better feel for the business and help him to make it better and shape and develop it."

The board have two-year pay-off deals written into their contracts.

Douglas Hall can expect at least £827,092, while the other board members are looking at a minimum of around £60,000 to £70,000 each.

Mr Ashley wants to shake up the board as part of his bid to take the club into private ownership.

A source close to the club added: "There are going to be significant changes. There will be a new look at the top after this."

Mr Ashley now owns around 80% of the club and is driving forward to the 90% ownership mark, which will mean the remaining 10% will have to be sold to him under stock market rules.

City analysts said Mr Ashley cannot just wipe people off the current board as it is still a plc and they have contracts.

Until the club is taken back into private ownership, changes cannot be made without negotiating redundancy payments.

But city experts say Mr Ashley will want to get his own people in before he starts making any big investments.

The board of directors

Freddy Shepherd, 64. Chairman and executive director

Freddy was appointed as a director in November 1991 after being part of the Magpie Group, which took over control of Newcastle United from Gordon McKeag. He became chairman in July 1998, taking over from Sir John Hall.

He was appointed as a non-executive director of Newcastle United plc in December 1998, became a full-time executive director in August 2001 and was appointed chairman in 2002.

He is also chairman of the Shepherd Offshore group of companies.

Bruce Shepherd, 59. Non-executive director and member of the remuneration committee and audit committee

Younger brother of Freddy, Bruce was appointed as a non-executive director in July 2002.

He is the chief executive of the Shepherd Offshore group of companies, based in Walker, and has an executive box at St James' Park.

Timothy Revill, 56. Independent non-executive director and chairman of the remuneration committee and audit committee

Appointed as a non-executive director in July 2002 at the same time as Bruce Shepherd. He is a chartered accountant and chairman of the BDO Fidecs group of accountants and business advisers, based in Gibraltar.

Douglas Hall, 48. Non-executive director of the plc and executive director of NUFC

Sir John Hall's son Douglas was appointed as a director of the football club in November 1991 as part of the Magpie Group takeover, working alongside his father and Freddy Shepherd.

He subsequently became deputy chairman in July 1998.

He was appointed as a non-executive director of Newcastle United plc in December 1998 and as an executive director of Newcastle United Football Club on August 1, 2001. He is chairman of Cameron Hall Developments.

Allison Antonopoulos, 46. Non-executive director

Sir John Hall's daughter Allison was appointed as a non-executive director on February 3, 2004. She became only the second woman to take a place on the board at St James' Park.

Good news.

Ashley, I say Ashley, must have someone lined up as CE etc.

900k pay-offs, eh??? Yet more fuckin' money for them. Christ, the sooner these people are paid off and depart the club, the better!

'War chest' B) Hmmmmm, we'll see.

any decent business man would do this.

he's paying them off to get rid of the corrupt people who have restricted this club for so long...

go on big mike!

if he's bringing his own people in would that mean david dein (who is a close personal friend of his). hope so.

any decent business man would do this.

he's paying them off to get rid of the corrupt people who have restricted this club for so long...

go on big mike!

if he's bringing his own people in would that mean david dein (who is a close personal friend of his). hope so.

Fingers crossed!

B):angry::icon_lol: Now for Fat Fred. B)

He's a member of the board, he'll be getting his letter too.

Chairman Freddy Shepherd is expected to stay. But the Newcastle futures of his brother Bruce Shepherd and finance expert Timothy Revill are uncertain.

B):angry::icon_lol: Now for Fat Fred. B)

He's a member of the board, he'll be getting his letter too.

Fuck

alex ITK'd me on this news a week ago today which gives him new cast-iron ITK status in my book. B)

Aye but he also said that FS was to be kicked out which appears to be wide of the mark, so half marks for him due to my huge disappointment B).

Edited by ewerk

alex ITK'd me on this news a week ago today which gives him new cast-iron ITK status in my book. B)

Aye but he also said that FS was to be kicked out which appears to be wide of the mark, so half marks for him due to my huge disappointment B).

I don't see Shepherd lasting all that much longer either tbh. If he's getting rid of the entire board to bring his new people in I don't really see how Shephrd keeps his job.

Still reckon he'll go. Could be spun as being down to ill health possibly. He has developed pneumonia following his broken rib which led to a collapsed lung apparently.

A dignified exit for him then, I'd accept that as long as he's out of there.

Well the story I heard was he's definitely going too. The whole Shepherd clan were gutted apparently as (as you can probably imagine) there are loads of hangers on who work for the club etc.