Toon in for Gudjohnsen and Edmilson

Smooth Operator

I think you did defend him at times like Pat. When you weren't sitting on the fence :unsure:

I defended him when his position was defendable. Devil's Advocate, innit. I still think that there were things he did right, or at least tried to.

Such as?

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Patrokles

I think you did defend him at times like Pat. When you weren't sitting on the fence :unsure:

I defended him when his position was defendable. Devil's Advocate, innit. I still think that there were things he did right, or at least tried to.

Such as?

Personally, I think he tried to go about nearly all of it the right way, he was just handicapped by a lack of respect from his playing staff and the chairman. I think what he tried to do with signings was correct, he dealt well with Owen & Dyer's rehabilitations, his intentions to overhaul the scouting network, his interest in a DoF, appointing Joyce to the Academy.

I think that he actually had quite a sound set of ideas that were completely undermined by the circumstances of the club. In retrospect, he was never going to succeed or even get the opportunity to implement what he wanted.

Chron cobblers:

Do we want our

Eds examined?

Update: SkySportsNews currently running the following breaking news:

Edmilson agrees in principle to join Newcastle from Barcelona.

While ITV run with:

Newcastle boss Sam Allardyce has flown to Barcelona to try to push through a move for World Cup winner Edmilson.

A delegation from St James' Park met the 30-year-old Brazilian on Thursday and was due to resume talks the next day.

Allardyce is keen to sign the defender, who can also play in the midfield holding role, even though he is currently sidelined after knee surgery.

Edmilson is likely to be out of action for between four and six months, but the Magpies believe he could play in October or November, and are ready to make a move for a man they believe is still a world-class performer.

Allardyce, chairman Freddy Shepherd's son Kenneth and European scout Paul Montgomery flew to Catalonia yesterday afternoon after Barca president Joan Laporte gave Newcastle permission to talk to the player.

He has a year left on his existing contract, but the Magpies are confident they can land him for a nominal fee, provided they can persuade him his future lies on Tyneside.

We originally wrote on Thursday:

Thursday's Chronicle led with a back page claiming that United "have made an ambitious move for Barcelona's Brazilian defender Edmilson" - accompanied by a front page pic of the player in his famous yellow strip.

It's correctly stated that the player isn't in the Brazil squad currently competing in the Copa America, but his omission is unexplained.

In fact Edmilson underwent his third operation in as many years on his troublesome right knee earlier this week - which will sideline him for six months.

Looks like we got this well and truly wrong - apologies to all, but why did nobody else but NUFC.com care to mention the injury and the operation when the story broke on Thursday?

Surely all those other sites and news outlets didn't just plagiarise Olly without doing even a moment's checking?

Forgive us if we don't understand the strange workings of football when injured players can be transferred - we were forgetting the precedent of Olivier Bernard....

Personally, I think he tried to go about nearly all of it the right way, he was just handicapped by a lack of respect from his playing staff and the chairman. I think what he tried to do with signings was correct, he dealt well with Owen & Dyer's rehabilitations, his intentions to overhaul the scouting network, his interest in a DoF, appointing Joyce to the Academy.

I think that he actually had quite a sound set of ideas that were completely undermined by the circumstances of the club. In retrospect, he was never going to succeed or even get the opportunity to implement what he wanted.

I don't understand what he tried to do with signings that was so great? He spent too long looking which meant we were beaten to the punch or quoted unrealistic prices and then appeared to have no backup plans.

I was impressed with the way he talked about an overhaul of the scouting network and a possible DoF but these ideas came to nothing, possibly due to a lack of support from Freddy as you say. But I think these things weren't nearly as important as recruiting the right players and installing a competent backroom team, Roeder fell down on both these issues, coupled with an inability to pick a good team or use any form of effective tactics meant that the bad points hugely outweighed his good ones.

Edited by ewerk

so we've signed a world class defender who could have a potentially career threatening injury.

nice to see that our transfer policy has remained consistent with the previous regime.

Guest Patrokles

I don't understand what he tried to do with signings that was so great? He spent too long looking which meant we were beaten to the punch or quoted unrealistic prices and then appeared to have no backup plans.

I was impressed with the way he talked about an overhaul of the scouting network and a possible DoF but these ideas came to nothing, possibly due to a lack of support from Freddy as you say. But I think these things weren't nearly as important as recruiting the right players and installing a competent backroom team, Roeder fell down on both these issues, coupled with an inability to pick a good team or use any form of effective tactics meant that the bad points hugely outweighed his good ones.

Trust me, I was as disillusioned by the performances as anyone, and I'd really stopped looking forward to watching any of the games. But I feel that some of the vitriol directed at Roeder was a bit much. I could have understood it with Souness more, but Roeder was essentially a decent person who was just not suited whatsoever to a job like this.

Guest Patrokles

so we've signed a world class defender who could have a potentially career threatening injury.

nice to see that our transfer policy has remained consistent with the previous regime.

Cheer up! :unsure:

What a fucking weird transfer. No medical???

Sam obviously reckon he's good enough to get in ahead of the rest before he recovers.

Everyone I've spoken to say he's top quality though.

Sam obviously reckon he's good enough to get in ahead of the rest before he recovers.

How do you know he hasn't had a medical?

Sky Sports News understands Newcastle United have agreed a deal, in principle, to sign Edmilson.

The versatile Barcelona man is currently recovering from knee surgery, but it has not deterred the Magpies from launching a bid.

Edmilson is likely to be out of action for four to six months, having undergone the operation last week.

A Newcastle delegation, headed by manager Sam Allardyce, travelled to Spain on Thursday to hold talks with Barcelona and Edmilson.

It now appears that Allardyce has come to an agreement with Edmilson, who can play at centre-half or in a midfield holding role.

Barcelona are reportedly willing to accept a nominal fee for the 30-year-old, with the Brazilian having 12 months remaining on his contract.

During the trip to Catalunya, Allardyce is also understood to be enquiring about the availability of former Chelsea striker Eidur Gudjohnsen.

Seeing as he is probably unable to walk without the aid of crutches at the minute I'd say a medical could prove difficult.

Sorry, that looked a bit FACT-a-licious. More of an assumption that he's had major knee surjery and an medical would be hard to do.

Just read that Barca are going to sort his rehab for him.

Thats why the deal has only been agreed in principle.

I'll take the gamble for the Nominal fee that's beign touted.

if this is true, we've got another player and spent under 10m

Viduka

Barton

Rozenhal

Edmilson

got rid of the flotsam

Bramble, Gooch, Moore, Pav, Bernard...

Celebrate good times, come on

Just got a text saying Edmilson has agreed a 2 year deal with Newcastle.

First I'd heard about even a possibility.

Champion.

Is that an official club text?

No.

My man on the dole texts me as soon as SSN gets the news. Invariably quicker than anything official.

Not overly pleased by these transfers but at least there are some more bodies possibly on their way. Always considered Edmilson a 'luxury' defender and worried that he might not adapt well to the prem but maybe Sam wants him to do a Campo sort of job. Very good with the ball and vast experience of reading the game, and a World Cup winner also :unsure: Though so was Roque Junior....

I guess I am just expecting us to spend bigger now that Ashley is here and when there are players such as A. Diarra available for 5-6 million I think we should be looking at this. Maybe he wants to bring in Edmilson (even an injured one) if he wants to bring in another brazilian and help him settle in. BRING ON ADRIANO bahahhahahaha! Get Big Sam's psychologist on and rid him of the infamous paddy k party syndrome

Edited by bassplayerjj

Not overly pleased by these transfers but at least there are some more bodies possibly on their way. Always considered Edmilson a 'luxury' defender and worried that he might not adapt well to the prem but maybe Sam wants him to do a Campo sort of job. Very good with the ball and vast experience of reading the game, and a World Cup winner also :unsure: Though so was Roque Junior....

I guess I am just expecting us to spend bigger now that Ashley is here and when there are players such as A. Diarra available for 5-6 million I think we should be looking at this. Maybe he wants to bring in Edmilson (even an injured one) if he wants to bring in another and help him settle in. BRING ON ADRIANO bahahhahahaha! Get Big Sam's psychologist on and rid him of the infamous paddy k party syndrome

Not overly pleased by these transfers but at least there are some more bodies possibly on their way. Always considered Edmilson a 'luxury' defender and worried that he might not adapt well to the prem but maybe Sam wants him to do a Campo sort of job. Very good with the ball and vast experience of reading the game, and a World Cup winner also :huh: Though so was Roque Junior....

I guess I am just expecting us to spend bigger now that Ashley is here and when there are players such as A. Diarra available for 5-6 million I think we should be looking at this. Maybe he wants to bring in Edmilson (even an injured one) if he wants to bring in another brazilian and help him settle in. BRING ON ADRIANO bahahhahahaha! Get Big Sam's psychologist on and rid him of the infamous paddy k party syndrome

You rate Ameobi yet you're 'not overly pleased' with the prospect of Edmilson and Eidur? :unsure:

I'll take the gamble for the Nominal fee that's beign touted.

if this is true, we've got another player and spent under 10m

Viduka

Barton

Rozenhal

Edmilson

got rid of the flotsam

Bramble, Gooch, Moore, Pav, Bernard...

Celebrate good times, come on

Aye and the Skunkers ITK reckons we are def in talks with Gudjohnson and Beye is giving us an answer on Monday.

Edited by Scottish Mag