Toon in for Gudjohnsen and Edmilson

Smooth Operator

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Fuck me, what's this feeling? I actually feel happy....yes, happy during the close season :unsure:

We'll probably not get him but it's the type of player we're looking at that I like

Edited by Skol

23 Jun 2007

Primera Liga runners-up Barcelona look set to lose Brazilian international Edmilson for up to six months due to injury.

The former Lyon star has had wretched luck with his fitness during his time in Catalunya, and could now miss the first half of next season after undergoing knee surgery.

Edmilson went under the knife for the third time in three years due to ligament problems that have dogged him for some time.

Barca doctor Ramon Cugat told the Spanish press: "This is a complicated injury with a slow recuperation."

In October 2004, Edmilson missed six months of the season due to a similar injury, and another knee problem ruled him out of the 2006 World Cup finals in Germany.

The news of Edmilson's absence for four to six months comes hot on the heels of an injury to Carles Puyol, which will rule the Barca skipper out for around three months.

Big Sam wants an Ed boy

by Alan Oliver, Evening Chronicle

NEWCASTLE United have made an ambitious move for Barcelona’s Brazilian defender Edmilson.

That was the word from Spain today – and it’s great news for United fans as Sam Allardyce continues to try to bring new players into St James’ Park, where things are really hotting up both on and off the field.

If Allardyce can pull off the signing of the 30-year-old Brazilian, it will certainly be a feather in the cap of the new United boss.

Edmilson, whose full name is Jose Edmilson Gomes de Moraes, is a free agent, with his contract at the Nou Camp expiring at midnight on Saturday.

And he looks to be the ideal man for United, as he can play both at centre-half and as a defensive midfielder.

Although he was born in Taquaritinga, in Brazil, he has an Italian passport, and this allows him to play as a European player.

His previous clubs are Sao Paulo and Lyon before he moved to Barcelona for £7m.

Since switching to Europe, Edmilson has won a domestic championship in each of his first six seasons – four with Lyon and two with Barcelona.

But Barcelona, of course, were pipped by their great rivals Real Madrid for La Liga a fortnight ago.

Edmilson won his first cap for Brazil in 2000 and was in the side which won the World Cup two years later in Japan and South Korea, but was forced to withdraw from the 2006 competition in Germany because of a knee injury.

Geordie-born Newcastle fan Oliver Fowler is based in Barcelona, and he told me today: “It would be wrong to say that Edmilson going to Newcastle is the talk of the place, because there is only one subject of conservation over here these days – and that is Thierry Henry.

“But it is common knowledge that Edmilson is leaving the Nou Camp, and Newcastle are one of many clubs, both in Europe and South America, who are interested in signing him.

“And as a United supporter, I would love to see him end up at St James’ Park, because he is just what we need.”

Edmilson is not in the Brazil squad which is currently playing in the Copa America in Venezuela, and if he does join United he will be the third Brazilian to come to St James’, following in the footsteps of Mirandinha and Fumaca.

Because Edmilson is a free agent, United do not necessarily have to talk to Barcelona, but if they do I wonder if there is any mileage trying to off-load Albert Luque on to them.

Luque is from Barcelona and would love the chance to play at the Nou Camp.

And the signing of Henry has put a question mark over Eidur Gudjohnsen, who has been a United target in the past.

The Chronicle has been warning United fans for the past fortnight that Arsenal would try to take either Michael Owen or Obafemi Martins to the Emirates, especially with their respective £9m and £13m get-out clauses.

Now the talk in London is that Martins is the one Arsene Wenger wants.

Meanwhile, as revealed in the Chronicle last night, United are hoping to tie up the signing of Cameroon international Geremi in the next 10 days.

Geremi is on holiday back in Africa at the moment, but United want his name on a contract as soon as possible because they know other clubs are sniffing.

They include Aston Villa, who are looking for a right-back after letting ex-Newcastle man Aaron Hughes link up with his old Northern Ireland boss Lawrie Sanchez at Fulham for £1m.

Geordie-born Newcastle fan Oliver Fowler is based in Barcelona, and he told me today: “It would be wrong to say that Edmilson going to Newcastle is the talk of the place, because there is only one subject of conservation over here these days – and that is Thierry Henry..

ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGH

:unsure:

So we're going to sign a player who is going to be out injured for the next six months with no guarantee of a full recovery?

Oliver clearly has no idea that Edmilson is injured, which isn't entirely unexpected, but what excuse does his mate in Barcelona have? Fuck me Oliver's journalism has plummeted to new depths.

I'm surprised he didn't think it was that midfielder that's been playing for Arsenal... just spelt all foreign and stuff

Oliver definitely needed a story after all his meaningless drivel in recent weeks that mainly dealt with Taylor and Milner at the U21s.

But it looks like more things at SJP are getting kept behind closed doors these days. Whatever - the newsbreaker from Skunkers - said something along those lines iirc.

Edmilson is not in the Brazil squad which is currently playing in the Copa America in Venezuela, and if he does join United he will be the third Brazilian to come to St James’, following in the footsteps of Mirandinha
;):D
and Fumaca.
<_<:huh::unsure:

by Alan Oliver, Evening Chronicle

Because Edmilson is a free agent, United do not necessarily have to talk to Barcelona, but if they do I wonder if there is any mileage trying to off-load Albert Luque on to them.

Luque is from Barcelona and would love the chance to play at the Nou Camp.

Yeah, why not? They're short of forwards these days, Alan.

Probably made him up, look he can't even be bothered to invent a first name for the guy. :unsure:

;)

As soon as i read it thats what i thought :huh:

This is him apparently:

arthurfowlervu4.jpg

Shot at 2007-06-28

Edited by Wacky Jnr

I'd be delighted if we got him but I don't think we will to be honest

good that we're going in for these players though it's very encouraging

I looked up "Oliver Fowler" as I assumed it was a Spanish based journalist with Newcastle heritage, it would seem to me though that he's just rang up an Irish bar off Las Ramblas and asked whoever answered the phones' opinion.

You just know if Sam was to actually sign him, he'd be smart enough to make it a pay as you play deal.

I doubt he negotiated the contracts at Bolton or will do so here.

Guest Patrokles

You just know if Sam was to actually sign him, he'd be smart enough to make it a pay as you play deal.

Why?

I looked up "Oliver Fowler" as I assumed it was a Spanish based journalist with Newcastle heritage, it would seem to me though that he's just rang up an Irish bar off Las Ramblas and asked whoever answered the phones' opinion.

oliver fowler is an agent. fact. and he drinks in an irish bar just off las ramblas. fact.

oliver fowler is an agent. fact. and he drinks in an irish bar just off las ramblas. fact.

Ok Alan, we believe you