Ronaldinho and Cannavaro

Scottish Mag

CANNAVARO IS REAL DEAL FOR MOURINHO

JOSE MOURINHO is monitoring Fabio Cannavaro after it emerged Newcastle had made preliminary checks on the Real Madrid defender, writes TOM HOPKINSON.

Cannavaro, Italy's 2006 World Cup-winning captain, only joined the Spaniards a year ago, but new Real boss Bernd Schuster has told him he can leave after capturing Christoph Metzelder from Borussia Dortmund on a free transfer and Pepe from Porto for £19million.

Agents working on Newcastle's behalf have been in contact with the 33-year-old and Toon boss Sam Allardyce's ability to attract big names in the twilight of their careers will stand the club in good stead.

But Chelsea boss Mourinho is being kept abreast of the situation and a Blues move for the defender would be likely to blow an Allardyce approach out of the water.

He would be available for nothing and Chelsea could top whatever personal terms the Magpies threw his way.

New Juventus boss Claudio Ranieri slammed suggestions Cannavaro might move to Turin.

TOONED UP RON

NEWCASTLE have made a sensational enquiry about FIFA World Player of the Year Ronaldinho.

The Toon asked about the Brazil star's availability during ongoing discussions with Barcelona over possible transfer targets.

But billionaire owner Mike Ashley was told the Nou Camp playmaker, 27, would cost a staggering £58million. A Magpies source said: "Mike is a billionaire but it remains to be seen whether even he would sanction a deal of that magnitude."

Ashley wants a global superstar to signal his intent after his £130m St James' takeover.

The Toon do hope to sign Manchester United's Argie defender Gabriel Heinze, 29.

:jesuswept:

Yes, it would be a massive gamble. It's a team game after all and I'd rather field a team of players who will work hard for each other with enough ability to secure a top six place than spend a ridiculous amount of money on one player.

Why folk out for one player with world class ability, with the hope he'll stay fit throughout & be the driving force behind the quality of our play when it would be more reliable to buy four or five players for that cost of good quality. He might not even adapt to the Premiership and could get injured and be out for most of the season. It's a massive gamble in my humble honest spontaneous opinion.

...but it ain't gonna happen in anyways... :crying:

I don't understand why its automatically a load of bollocks, Ashley is new to football and wants a top name, I don't find it so unbelievable that the name he's come up with is Ronaldinho's.

I don't understand why its automatically a load of bollocks, Ashley is new to football and wants a top name, I don't find it so unbelievable that the name he's come up with is Ronaldinho's.

He must surely have some idea or at least advisors who would tell him its just not going to happen.

He must surely have some idea or at least advisors who would tell him its just not going to happen.

You would certainly like to think so, but this was probably a very tentative enquiry rather than an offer of any description.

Given how closely guarded Ashley seems to be with his business affairs I reckon there's a fair chance that those stories are absolute bollocks dreamed up by journos struggling to fill column inches.

You would certainly like to think so, but this was probably a very tentative enquiry rather than an offer of any description.

If I can find her number I am gonna give Cheryl Tweedy a call and see if she fancies an affair if I promise not to tell Ashley, about as much chance :crying:

If I can find her number I am gonna give Cheryl Tweedy a call and see if she fancies an affair if I promise not to tell Ashley, about as much chance :crying:

Exactly, there is a major difference between a tentative enquiry and a full offer.

It was probably something along the lines of a tongue in cheek comment at a meeting over other players.

Bid to lure World Cup hero

Jul 16 2007

by Craig McIntosh, The Journal

SAM Allardyce built up a reputation for achieving the seemingly impossible in the transfer market during his eight years at Bolton – and it appears moving to Newcastle United has done nothing to reduce his boldness.

Reports at the weekend suggested United have made enquiries about Fabio Cannavaro, who only seven months ago was voted the best player on the planet after leading Italy to victory in the World Cup.

Inevitably, though, with such a gifted player, Newcastle will face competition from wealthier rivals and, rather than becoming a United player, the 33-year-old could instead be the second centre-back to snub St James’s Park for Chelsea’s Stamford Bridge.

Incredibly for a player who was so highly regarded in 2006, Cannavaro has been told he can leave Real Madrid less than 12 months after joining from Juventus in a £13.5m move. Madrid have signed two centre-backs this summer – Christoph Metzelder on a free from Borussia Dortmund, and Pepe from Porto for £19m – and that would appear to signal an end to his brief stay in the Spanish capital.

Although playing his part in tightening one of world football’s most notoriously porous back fours and winning Madrid a first La Liga championship in four years, Cannavaro has been unable to enhance his reputation in Spain and the manager who was influential in bringing him to the Bernabeau, fellow Italian Fabio Cappello, has since been sacked and replaced by Bernd Schuster.

Story continues Continue story

ADVERTISEMENT

He could return to Italy but having already played for Napoli, Parma, Inter Milan and Juventus, there is little more for him to achieve there. Since the match-fixing scandal which caused Cannavaro’s departure and that of many other star names, Serie A no longer has either the lustre or financial muscle to compete with La Liga or the Premiership.

Juventus have denied any interest in taking the player back and, with Barcelona having blown most of their summer budget on Arsenal striker Thierry Henry, there is no other big-name Spanish club seemingly able to keep Cannavaro in the manner to which he has become accustomed. Cannavaro is the reigning European Footballer of the Year and Fifa World Player of the Year.

Chelsea were thought to have concluded their transfer business for the summer, signing Brazilian centre-back Alex and Israel international Tal Ben Haim among others. The latter was brought to England by then-Bolton manager Allardyce, who was keen to be reunited with the player this summer. Ben Haim, though, chose west London instead.

Even with Khalid Boulahrouz loaned to Sevilla for next season, Cannavaro’s arrival would put Ben Haim at the back of a long list of centre-backs at Chelsea, who also have England captain John Terry and Portugal’s Ricardo Carvalho to choose from. With

Chelsea as competition, it seems inconceivable Cannavaro would instead opt for Newcastle, but much the same thing was said about the prospect of the likes of Jay-Jay Okocha, Fernando Hierro and Nicolas Anelka joining Bolton.

United have good contacts with Madrid since selling Jonathan Woodgate to them in 2003. But the man who cultivated those links, chairman Freddie Shepherd, has been sidelined since the arrival of new owner Mike Ashley and is in poor health.

One player Allardyce will not be working with next season, however, is Argentinian midfielder Aldo Duscher. The former Sporting Lisbon and Newell’s Old Boys player is available on a free transfer after being released by Deportivo La Coruña.

Duscher had a short trial at Newcastle but Allardyce decided against offering a contract after deciding the 28-year-old was not fit enough for Premiership football.

Newcastle have reportedly held talks with a second French left-back. United and Wigan Athletic are both said to have been in contact with Franck Signorino.

The agent of Signorino’s compatriot Franck Queudrue is expecting talks with Newcastle today but the Nantes defender has emerged as a possible alternative to a player Fulham signed from Middlesbrough last summer.

here

If the Cannavaro link is genuine, I think we have a decent chance of getting him, if it is only between us and Chelsea (which is obviously a big assumption).

I doubt that Mourinho would want to drop either Carvalho or Terry to accommodate Cannavaro – especially after the season Carvalho had, and now them having 4 central defenders – compared to just three (and that’s including Bouhlarouz) last year, they also now have depth – think they’ll be a lot stronger this year, but that’s another topic.