Newcastle’s £6m offer for Smith holds the key to Dyer departure

Jimbo

Dyer's biggest crime at this club is being a long term injury sufferer. Yeah he took the piss out of Robson a bit (Robson's fault btw), and he chucked the captain's armband on the deck, but the biggest problem people have with Dyer is that he earns big wages and he had injury problems. Which quite frankly is fucking ridiculous.

Ah, it's Robson's fault that Dyer showed him no respect is it? Of course.

Even when Dyer has been fit, he has massively underachieved imo. Couple this with his off-the-pitch activites and general attitude, then I'm not surprised he isn't winning any popularity competitions.

Agree with you there. How was it Robson's fault?

Correct me if I'm wrong: Bobby Robson was the manager and it was therefore his job to manage these players. He had a soft spot for Dyer because of the Ipswich connection, and he was allowed to get away with murder to the point where their relationship got damaged by it. Yeah, Dyer took the piss, but he should never have been allowed to. Do you think that would have happened at Manchester United under Alex Ferguson? A player photographed giving the v's behind the manager's back? Not a fucking chance.

Dyer's no angel, but Robson let that one get out of control and should take his share of the responsibility. Outside of that, Dyer pissed in the street once and suffered terribly with injuries. Oh and he got an improved contract which was apparently all his fault too. That's about it really.

So basically Dyer took advantage of a highly respected old school manager and that is Robson's fault for letting him get away with is it? How about Dyer showing some professional integrity and responsibility for himself for a change? Would you act like that to your employer when you were 25? Do you honestly think the hatred shown to him is purely because he is overpaid and has been injured? No, he is hated for what he represents - a complete lack of passion, loyalty, and respect for his club or manager, and a natural talent squandered, and perceived contempt for the fans (as evidenced by numerous anecdotes).

And yes, I concur that Milner adds more to the team than Dyer ever has, even if he is not as talented. And if he wanted away, there's a reason he's not going to get booed or pelted with eggs.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Milner last year played better than Dyer has even done for this club in my opinion.

You're very, very wrong.

Yeah that's bollocks. And I like Milner.

Milner put in a better full season than Dyer has ever managed; I don't think there's much to argue there. However, Dyer is much the better player, and if his career wasn't hampered by injuries he would have played a hell of a lot more for England than Milner ever will.

So basically Dyer took advantage of a highly respected old school manager and that is Robson's fault for letting him get away with is it? How about Dyer showing some professional integrity and responsibility for himself for a change? Would you act like that to your employer when you were 25? Do you honestly think the hatred shown to him is purely because he is overpaid and has been injured? No, he is hated for what he represents - a complete lack of passion, loyalty, and respect for his club or manager, and a natural talent squandered, and perceived contempt for the fans (as evidenced by numerous anecdotes).

Fucking hell, Renton, you talk about Robson as if he's some old pensioner who had his house broken into. This is a bloke that was getting paid £1m+ a year to MANAGE a squad of players, and unless they were senior professionals that showed him due deference, he was falling short. No, I woudn't act like that to my employer at 25, but if I had a 25 year old working for me that did I wouldn't give it the "Awww aren't you a naughty boy" approach either.

Numerous anecdotes? All I've heard is you and your autograph and all the bollocks about him acting like a dick when he's pissed. Who doesn't ffs? Are you expecting decorum from a 25 year old lad out on the piss?

And yes, I concur that Milner adds more to the team than Dyer ever has, even if he is not as talented. And if he wanted away, there's a reason he's not going to get booed or pelted with eggs.

Milner and Dyer are totally different characters, but most of what Dyer is hated for is some fairly minor incidents which have been built up in the heads of simpletons because the bloke gets paid millions and has been injured for a long time. I've seen blokes at SJP rant about Kieron Dyer to the point where I thought they would keel over. Red-faced, filled with bile and hatred, because he misplaced a pass. :lol: Not normal.

Even now we've got people that have wanted him out of the club FOR FUCKING YEARS hating the bloke even more because he actually wants to do what they've all been crowing for and leave. :nufc: "How fucking dare he! I've wanted him to leave this club for as long as I can remember, and I've booed and heckled the little bastard, and how does he replay me?! He asks to leave! The cheek of it!"

I think he should go like. Mainly because he wants to and because when we eventually got a full season out of him last year his performances weren't that good, which suggests to me he isn't the player he was. He seems to have lost a bit of his energy which is/was a major aspect of his game. Some of the bile shown towards him is ridiculous though and Robson has to take a massive slice of the blame for the indiscipline the likes of Dyer showed under his management.

Fucking hell, Renton, you talk about Robson as if he's some old pensioner who had his house broken into. This is a bloke that was getting paid £1m+ a year to MANAGE a squad of players, and unless they were senior professionals that showed him due deference, he was falling short. No, I woudn't act like that to my employer at 25, but if I had a 25 year old working for me that did I wouldn't give it the "Awww aren't you a naughty boy" approach either.

Numerous anecdotes? All I've heard is you and your autograph and all the bollocks about him acting like a dick when he's pissed. Who doesn't ffs? Are you expecting decorum from a 25 year old lad out on the piss?

Milner and Dyer are totally different characters, but most of what Dyer is hated for is some fairly minor incidents which have been built up in the heads of simpletons because the bloke gets paid millions and has been injured for a long time. I've seen blokes at SJP rant about Kieron Dyer to the point where I thought they would keel over. Red-faced, filled with bile and hatred, because he misplaced a pass. :lol: Not normal.

Even now we've got people that have wanted him out of the club FOR FUCKING YEARS hating the bloke even more because he actually wants to do what they've all been crowing for and leave. :nufc: "How fucking dare he! I've wanted him to leave this club for as long as I can remember, and I've booed and heckled the little bastard, and how does he replay me?! He asks to leave! The cheek of it!"

Robson was naive and didn't adapt in time to get used to twats like Dyer in the game. But to blame Dyer's professional shortcomings on Robson is absurd. Same goes for Bellamy btw.

Ironic that you reply to a comment on anecodtes with more anecdotes btw. :huff: He's also shown himself to be a complete bling tit head on at least one TV program that I can remember. Then there's the armband incident, and the photograph you mentioned, the pissing incident, and the swingbridge incident. Those are FACTS.

Whether you blame him or not, fact is Dyer has trousered at least 20 MILLION pounds from this club in wages alone (that is a very conservative estimate btw, it might be over 30 million). That is a travesty and represents probably the worst value for money ever, barring Marcelino and so far Luque. The managers and chairman who kept on giving him another chance deserve to be committed tbh, I wish he'd been booted out years ago.

Milner's 7 years younger than Dyer and to say that he will never be the player Dyer is baffles me? How can you tell? Look at Lampard, a player who wasn't blessed with pace or natural flair but could pass the ball and strike a long shot much like Milner. Lampard worked at his game and eventually he played in World Cups, won leagues and FA Cups, and attracts the interest of top champs league clubs. Milner is also a player who works at his game a lot in training and shows the kind of professional attitude that a player like Lampard shares.

Dyer and Milner are very different midfielders and add different things to the team, but I don't understand how people can say he will never be the player Dyer is when he is still a baby in footballing terms, a professional one at that.

Edited by bassplayerjj

Milner's 7 years younger than Dyer and to say that he will never be the player Dyer is baffles me? How can you tell? Look at Lampard, a player who wasn't blessed with pace or natural flair but could pass the ball and strike a long shot much like Milner. Lampard worked at his game and eventually he played in World Cups, won leagues and FA Cups, and attracts the interest of top champs league clubs. Milner is also a player who works at his game a lot in training and shows the kind of professional attitude that a player like Lampard shares.

Dyer and Milner are very different midfielders and add different things to the team, but I don't understand how people can say he will never be the player Dyer is when he is still a baby in footballing terms, a professional one at that.

milner may well go on to contribute more for us than dyer has, but i don't think he will ever be the player dyer is in terms of pace or natural ability to run with the ball and go past players.

if milner goes on to achieve more for us than dyer has (which i suspect he may do), it will be because of the hard work he puts into his game.

milner may well go on to contribute more for us than dyer has, but i don't think he will ever be the player dyer is in terms of pace or natural ability to run with the ball and go past players.

if milner goes on to achieve more for us than dyer has (which i suspect he may do), it will be because of the hard work he puts into his game.

Well, he could have as much talent, just in different ways. When has Dyer provided as many assists as Milner or scored the typwe of long range shots Milner has?

Well, he could have as much talent, just in different ways. When has Dyer provided as many assists as Milner or scored the typwe of long range shots Milner has?

i agree. he could go on to be a better player for us than dyer in terms of what he achieves for the club, but i don't think he's ever going to be better at taking people on because he doesn't have dyer's pace and natural ability when it comes to running at defenders.

that said, dyer's crossing and finishing is well under par compared with milner and he hasn't achieved anywhere near as much for us as he should have given his natural attributes. milner could go on to overachieve for us given he's never going to be the quickest wide player in the world.

Dyer in limbo as Spurs bid fails

Jul 31 2007

by Alan Oliver, Evening Chronicle

SPURS have lost interest in Kieron Dyer after they failed to agree a player-exchange deal with Newcastle United for the England international.

This could mean the United midfielder finds himself in limbo at a time when a section of the fans would prefer him to leave St James’ Park.

The Chronicle revealed on Friday that Spurs had joined West Ham and Manchester City in the chase to sign Dyer who, according to boss Sam Allardyce, wants to leave for family reasons.

The two clubs have talked about a possible deal including a player-exchange.

A White Hart Lane source told me today: “Newcastle and Spurs have been talking about Dyer and the name of Didier Zokora has cropped up in a possible exchange deal.

“The word is that Spurs feel Newcastle value Dyer too highly at £8m and the deal is dead.”

Zokora was an £8.2m signing by Martin Jol from St Etienne 12 months ago and is an Allardyce sort of player.

It appears he will not be joining Big Sam because it does not look as though the deal will be resurrected, but if it was there would be another big problem – Dyer’s wages.

The 28-year-old picks up somewhere between £60,000 and £65,000 a week from United, while Spurs have a strict pay code with a ceiling of £35,000.

To complicate the situation, the talk in London is that United owner Mike Ashley does not want Dyer to go to Upton Park – even though Alan Curbishley has made a £4m bid.

West Ham are trying to sign Eidur Gudjohnsen from Barcelona and Alan Smith from Manchester United in a £17m double deal.

To add to Big Sam’s frustration, while he is trying to sign a left-back for next to nothing, West Ham have slapped in a £7m bid for Reading’s Nicky Shorey.

Anal's musings

no-one think that Big Sams revolution has effectively ended Kierons frivolous lifestyle?

perhaps regulations and codes of practise off the pitch have encroached on Dyer's modus operandi too much and instead than hang about and have his fun curtailed, he'd rather move on?

That had crossed my mind tbh.

you're only agreeing with me because we've now met and buried the hatchet :lol:

I have to say, it was the first thing that crossed mine too. Tracking what players do on and off the pitch, extensive medical tests etc. A bit too much for people to find out about Mr Dyer perhaps?

Regardless of his attitude, which I think is shocking, he's just not a good footballer. Fast as fuck but ultimately poor with a football imo.

Oh, and can we not forget his fight with Bowyer? Most would have been bombed straight out for that.

Edited by Ally

Manchester Evening News running a story that Smith is on his way

Newcastle poised for Smith

Stuart Brennan

31/ 7/2007

ALAN Smith is set to join Newcastle after United accepted a £6m deal for the striker.

The 26-year-old was today due to hold talks with manager Sam Allardyce over personal terms, with the transfer expected to go ahead this week.

Smith was also the subject of a bid from Middlesbrough, who wanted him to replace St James' Park-bound Mark Viduka, but the former Leeds striker was not keen on a move to the Riverside.

Smith now seems certain to leave United, who he joined for £7m just over three years ago. He has made 93 appearances for the Reds, scoring 12 goals.

Smith has been reluctant to leave Old Trafford, but the impending arrival of Carlos Tevez and the singings of Nani and Anderson over the summer means there is little room for a player who has struggled to make an impact on the first team since he broke his leg and dislocated his ankle against Liverpool in February last year.

The transfer is also a sign that United are optimistic they can still secure a deal to bring Tevez to the club before the August 31 transfer deadline.

Bit non-plussed with this tbh, don't really rate Smith as neither a midfielder or a striker.

Manchester Evening News running a story that Smith is on his way

Newcastle poised for Smith

Stuart Brennan

31/ 7/2007

ALAN Smith is set to join Newcastle after United accepted a £6m deal for the striker.

The 26-year-old was today due to hold talks with manager Sam Allardyce over personal terms, with the transfer expected to go ahead this week.

Smith was also the subject of a bid from Middlesbrough, who wanted him to replace St James' Park-bound Mark Viduka, but the former Leeds striker was not keen on a move to the Riverside.

Smith now seems certain to leave United, who he joined for £7m just over three years ago. He has made 93 appearances for the Reds, scoring 12 goals.

Smith has been reluctant to leave Old Trafford, but the impending arrival of Carlos Tevez and the singings of Nani and Anderson over the summer means there is little room for a player who has struggled to make an impact on the first team since he broke his leg and dislocated his ankle against Liverpool in February last year.

The transfer is also a sign that United are optimistic they can still secure a deal to bring Tevez to the club before the August 31 transfer deadline.

Bit non-plussed with this tbh, don't really rate Smith as neither a midfielder or a striker.

12 goals in 93 appearances? Couldnt lick Sholas boots tbh. He is crap in midfield as well. Absolutely pointless signing imo.

Fucking hell the pessimism is getting ridiculous... :lol:

We need to build a squad, not justa first team. I'd rather we had the likes of Alan Smith at our disposal than someone like Amady Faye.

And as for the comments about why would he rather warm our bench than Man Utd's, I don't think it's a case of that - I think he'll see he's got more of a chance to play regularly here than he would there.

Fucking hell the pessimism is getting ridiculous... :lol:

We need to build a squad, not justa first team. I'd rather we had the likes of Alan Smith at our disposal than someone like Amady Faye.

And as for the comments about why would he rather warm our bench than Man Utd's, I don't think it's a case of that - I think he'll see he's got more of a chance to play regularly here than he would there.

The thing that annoys me is that when Baines is available for 6 million we don't go for him =) Wouldn't pay 3 million for Smith, I agree with the lad who reckons smith could'nt lick Ameobi's boots!

I would reckon he sees him as a straight up replacement for Dyer. I guess playing behind the front two or on the wing. Neither positions we're particularly short on.

I would reckon he sees him as a straight up replacement for Dyer. I guess playing behind the front two or on the wing. Neither positions we're particularly short on.

That would be dreadful :lol:

Really cannot see the point in this signing, not if the rumours of a 10m transfer kitty are true.

Where's the fucking left back eh? Embarassing.

:lol: Aye, your post is.

Newcastle sign Alan Smith instead of left back. Allardyce gushes "Who needs a left back? We've got Smithy!"

Or not, eh? :nufc: