José Enrique

Baggio

He will be offered a fantastic contract here.

It's a good offer which we have given him

Interesting how Pardew has scaled back the 'fantastic contract' to now just a 'good offer'.

Where has the 50K a week figure for Enrique come from?

I know we were much more liberal with wages when he was signed, but he was a relatively unproven young defender coming from the Spanish league where wages are a fair bit lower (particularly outside of the top two teams). I'd say it would be a figure closer to 40K.

I know we were much more liberal with wages when he was signed, but he was a relatively unproven young defender coming from the Spanish league where wages are a fair bit lower (particularly outside of the top two teams). I'd say it would be a figure closer to 40K.

Spanish tax laws mean you have to pay more here to give parity. I've seen 60k quoted (not saying that makes it correct btw but wouldn't be surprised if the figure was 50k).

Edited by alex

He will be offered a fantastic contract here.

It's a good offer which we have given him

Interesting how Pardew has scaled back the 'fantastic contract' to now just a 'good offer'.

Yeah, tend to believe Enrique.

At no point have they mentioned an 'improved contract', and by any average person's evaluation Enrique is already on 'fantastic' money. So techniquely Pardew has not been lying but the truth of the situation shows that he has been misleading us, again. He fits in well with the rest of the boardroom.

Deliberately misleading without techniquely outright lying.

"The full amount of Carroll's transfer will be reinvested" comes too mind. What did most of us think that meant at the time? I know it wasn't what we are seeing happening now.

If I were in Enriques camp then I wouldnt be too worried. He is holding all the aces. He can stay and everyday he does then his pay out gets bigger whilst Newcastles pay out gets reduced. As soon as he gets to January he will have every top club after him. A top left back available on the cheap.

I hope he signs however I stand by my prediction he will leave!

The only reason he'll stay is if he doesn't get a decent club in for him. Unless he can get his head straight I think I'd rather he went now so weve time to get a decent replacement in. In fact we should have someone lined up already cos it's pretty obvious he's wanted away for some time now.

We had a player lined up but staying at Swansea was a more attractive option for him.

Ye gods. I bloody well hope he wasn't intended to be a like for like replacement.

40-50k, not much difference really. The fact is that at 19 when he signed it was a huge contract for a player of his age and experiance. Theres only 2 clubs in Spain that pay that sort of money. That and his twitter outburst may tell us what truly motivates him.

I dont really have a problem with that but its the effect all this has had on the rest of the squad. He plainly thought he wouldnt be with the squad in the US and has let us all know how unhappy he is about the situation. I wonder if he wouldve stopped Liverpool getting twatted 3 nowt at Hull over the weekend? :-D

40-50k, not much difference really. The fact is that at 19 when he signed it was a huge contract for a player of his age and experiance. Theres only 2 clubs in Spain that pay that sort of money. That and his twitter outburst may tell us what truly motivates him.

I dont really have a problem with that but its the effect all this has had on the rest of the squad. He plainly thought he wouldnt be with the squad in the US and has let us all know how unhappy he is about the situation. I wonder if he wouldve stopped Liverpool getting twatted 3 nowt at Hull over the weekend? :-D

Have to agree he was on good money when he first signed...

I'm rather tiring of his love affair with twittah...Turning into quite the sparrow...

This exaggeration lark is getting contagious like. He'll have been on £100k a week when we signed him up as 16 year old before long ^_^

Edited by alex

has he not said it's not about the money already anyways?

Wages are irrelevant tbh he prob doesn't wanna sign a contract at a club with no ambition no matter what's on the table.

As always its hard to tell what the true motivations are.

This exaggeration lark is getting contagious like. He'll have been on £100k a week when we signed him up as 16 year old before long ^_^

The game as it is nowadays is a joke. Players more or less do what they like...Cloughie will be turning in his grave. Back in the day Ricky would have been kicked to the curb and playing for the reserves for 3 months.

Wages are irrelevant tbh he prob doesn't wanna sign a contract at a club with no ambition no matter what's on the table.

So why did he say he wanted to end his career with us when we were in the Championship? Does he think Championship teams are just one season away from breaking the top 6 in the Premiership? Does anyone with more than 3 brain cells actually think this?

So why did he say he wanted to end his career with us when we were in the Championship? Does he think Championship teams are just one season away from breaking the top 6 in the Premiership? Does anyone with more than 3 brain cells actually think this?

Left backs are historically self loving - problematic - frustrated they ain't left wingers - delusionary gimps.

I think with club fining him it now seems like both sides have burnt some bridges and it's difficult to see him staying beyond this season, if he doesn't leave sooner. Enrique is obviously frustrated but it's difficult to know if that is (as Luke Edwards suggests) just down to clubs not coming in for him like he expected or down to the situation within the club and the lack of ambition that is being shown. I tend to think it's more the latter because while you can argue all you like about where the Carroll money should have gone etc. the club hasn't been ambitious, stable or well run in the whole time he's been here. Again you could go into the blame game about that (previous regimes, moron chairmen, clueless owner etc.) but that's not really Enrique's problem. Or rather, it is his problem if he wants to do anything in terms of challenging for honours and playing in Europe because there's fuck all chance of that happening here.

Edited by alex

He always spoke highly of Hughton, and I have no doubt he was disappointed with his sacking, and the subsequent appointment of Pardew. I think that was fundamentally when and why we lost him. He hasn't been the same under Pardew. He seemingly doesn't like his slimy, two-faced persona...

Left backs are historically self loving - problematic - frustrated they ain't left wingers - delusionary gimps.

You two buying in to fact it's all down to Enrique? Have a quiet word if you are.

I think with club fining him it now seems like both sides have burnt some bridges and it's difficult to see him staying beyond this season, if he doesn't leave sooner. Enrique is obviously frustrated but it's difficult to know if that is (as Luke Edwards suggests) just down to clubs not coming in for him like he expected or down to the situation within the club and the lack of ambition that is being shown. I tend to think it's more the latter because while you can argue all you like about where the Carroll money should have gone etc. the club hasn't been ambitious, stable or well run in the whole time he's been here. Again you could go into the blame game about that (previous regimes, moron chairmen, clueless owner etc.) but that's not really Enrique's problem. Or rather, it is his problem if he wants to do anything in terms of challenging for honours and playing in Europe because there's fuck all chance of that happening here.

Didn't realise Man U, Barca and Inter were in for him. ^_^

He always spoke highly of Hughton, and I have no doubt he was disappointed with his sacking, and the subsequent appointment of Pardew. I think that was fundamentally when and why we lost him. He hasn't been the same under Pardew. He seemingly doesn't like his slimy, two-faced persona...

I would agree that was probably the final straw like. Good point.

You two buying in to fact it's all down to Enrique? Have a quiet word if you are.

ja ja ja... ^_^