Newcastle United Vs Derby County (away)

Tom

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know what anyone else thinks but that display today was absolutely appalling and in saying that, there wasn't one player on our team who had a half-way decent game.

Big Sam needs to rethink his big-man little-man strike force application if it includes Amoebe. Todays strike-force was toothless.

The mid-field were a joke and Geremi was the biggest laugh, nigh brought me to tears.

The defense, what defense? it didn't look any better than it was last season, Taylor was terrible and I can't make the excuse he was out of position as he has played there many times. I wasn't impressed with Cacapa either, kicking into touch when under NO pressure creates doubts.

However, we have a history of losing against bottom teams so I can't say I was too surprised, just mortified that it's still going on. The bubble of our brilliant start to the season has just been burst.

I am really pissed off.

I don't know what anyone else thinks but that display today was absolutely appalling and in saying that, there wasn't one player on our team who had a half-way decent game.

Big Sam needs to rethink his big-man little-man strike force application if it includes Amoebe. Todays strike-force was toothless.

The mid-field were a joke and Geremi was the biggest laugh, nigh brought me to tears.

The defense, what defense? it didn't look any better than it was last season, Taylor was terrible and I can't make the excuse he was out of position as he has played there many times. I wasn't impressed with Cacapa either, kicking into touch when under NO pressure creates doubts.

However, we have a history of losing against bottom teams so I can't say I was too surprised, just mortified that it's still going on. The bubble of our brilliant start to the season has just been burst.

I am really pissed off.

We were fucking awful but the defence didnt really do owt wrong tbh. The winner came from 30 yards out and was barely a defensive issue.

I wouldnt say the bubble's burst. We've not played anyone yet and as of tonight the results have now been average.

In all seriousness, though, it was an embarassing display going forward. Cacapa and Rozenhal still look fairly decent as a central defensive partnership, though. You'd hope that with Enrique in so that N'Zogbia can play further forward, and Barton back, maybe things will be a bit better. Terribe today, though.

I thought Rozenhal looked the only outfield player coming off with any credit until he also totally failed to control a ball in the build up and give a Derby player a clear run of goal - a bit of a typical Bramble moment tbh. And despite being poor I liked the way Cacapa stayed calm for most of the time and rather play the ball out of play than putting other players under pressure with a poor pass.

You are also right about N'Zogbia. At the moment he looks like the only one who especially really can offer some pace to our midfield play. It looks horrible with the likes of Butt, Geremi, Milner and Smith.

I think the game would have gone a total other way if Rozenhal had scored on the break (good run by him). Until Derby scored more or less out of nothing, Newcastle had been pretty much in control of the game. But then Derby gained confidence while Newcastle quickly run totally out of any ideas. Unfortunately there weren't any real options on the bench. What could Allardyce have done. Bring on Pattison to run the strings in midfield?

Note to Harper

Don't launch it upfield when there's Ameobi up there, as the useless twat can't head for shite!

Note to Sam. Dont tell Harper to boot everything up front. In fact, dont tell everyone on the team to do it. Shit tactics. Awful.

I mentioned last week that when we get beat under Sam its gong to be doubly hard to take because of the horrific long ball tactics.

Love the stick Ameobi is getting when the rest of the team were equally dreadful.

I disagree, the rest of the team were dreadful, Shola was fucking dreadful.

Love the stick Ameobi is getting when the rest of the team were equally dreadful.

*cough* Alan Smith *cough*

I'd rather play Fumaca than that useless donkey.

He's wasted in midfield.

Smith was terrible - I reckon he was probably worse than Ameobi, but then again he isn't Ameobi so won't get as much stick naturally.

Utter fucking dross.

Ameobi was an utter disgrace to the game of football tonight, completely lacking in any of the qualities you'd expect a striker to have. Big Sam was wrong, wrong, wrong in taking Owen off for Martins. People say these two wont work and I agree, but we needed to pull a rabbit out that hat tonight and Shola "Couldn't win a Bingo if he had a full card and only had to shout 'House'" Ameobi clearly wasn't contributing anything. It seemed as if we were screaming out for Viduka tonight. Someone who could get hold of the ball, link up play and shrug off anybody who gets near him. I know he hasn't been brilliant this season but he'd have been a damned sight better than Ameobi.

Butt was awful too. He was brilliant last season but tonight he seemed to forget he was actually playing a competitive game of football. He managed to turn simple 50/50 challenges that he would've won last season into 70/30's in Derby's favour. Alot of the time he didn't even bother to chase after the ball and just gave away a foul. Smith's not much better either, like. Anonymous for most of the game, only appearing to kick the opponent. He should've started upfront with Owen IMO. Again, Sam was wrong to take of Geremi and replace him with Faye, Butt should've made way. Also, how thin is our midfield if Matty Pattison is on the bench?

Taylor showed alot of heart and alot of balls but his cavalier antics didn't impress me tonight. I don't know whether he felt compelled to do it because Smith was hiding or that we were just dross and he was trying to get something going, but I thought there were a few opportunities where he could've passed but tried to take on two or three Derby defenders.

Harper should be dropped simply because he still doesn't inspire confidence in me at all. Can't really blame him for the goal though, it was one of those flukes you get in games like this.

I think i'm more pissed off because I was so confident we'd get a result today. And on paper, we should've. I'll be interested to see what the game plan is against West Ham but after this result, i'm not impressed.

Edited by Skol

He's wasted in midfield.

Yet not good enough to play up front. Waste of money imo.

He's wasted in midfield.

Better option than Shola.

He's wasted in midfield.

debatable.

He's wasted in midfield.

IMO Sam's best tactical move would have been not to take Geremy off but bring on Faye for Ameobi and play 433 with Smith and Milner on the wings and Martins up front or to play Milner behind a front pair of Smith and Martins. But as long as Smith isn't playing as a defensive midfielder next to a more creative player I don't know what actually offers to the team.

He's wasted in midfield.

IMO Sam's best tactical move would have been not to take Geremy off but bring on Faye for Ameobi and play 433 with Smith and Milner on the wings and Martins up front or to play Milner behind a front pair of Smith and Martins. But as long as Smith isn't playing as a defensive midfielder next to a more creative player I don't know what actually offers to the team.

Grit and shit.

He's wasted in midfield.

debatable.

Did you watch tonights shambles?

Smith's more of a striker than Shola is, even if Allardyce insists on playing him in midfield.

He's wasted in midfield.

debatable.

As debatable as denying evolution tbh.

He's wasted in midfield.

debatable.

So he had a very poor game. Completely agree. The result wasnt sholas fault. It was the shit tactics and team selection. I'd like to see how Smith would deal with the service, considering his 2nd touch is always an erratic challenge. Might as well bring Kevin Francis out of retirement if we want to do it this way.

HOOF HOOF HOOF. Shit.

He's wasted in midfield.

debatable.

So he had a very poor game. Completely agree. The result wasnt sholas fault. It was the shit tactics and team selection. I'd like to see how Smith would deal with the service, considering his 2nd touch is always an erratic challenge. Might as well bring Kevin Francis out of retirement if we want to do it this way.

HOOF HOOF HOOF. Shit.

While I agree, Shola has been having 'a shit game' for years now (Stop me if I begin to sound too much like M4). He's far too one dimensional and wont ever fit in alongside Owen and Martins who need a player capable of holding the ball up. IMO he's probably our fifth choice striker.

The defense, what defense?

We were fucking awful but the defence didnt really do owt wrong tbh. The winner came from 30 yards out and was barely a defensive issue.

Can't agree with you there, when the keeper launches a long ball down-field you'd like to think a defender would get underneath it but it didn't happen. In fact there were a lot of high balls our defense should have been winning and weren't.

I construe the keeper as the first line of defense (and offense) and in regard to the goal (which was a corker) I believe that as a defender Harper was remiss by being too far off his line. If Harper had been closer to his line he may have been able to stop it so I look at it as a defensive error.