Larissa snap up Robert

RlCO

Laurent Robert has signed for Major League Soccer side Toronto, after his contract at Derby was cancelled by mutual consent.

The French winger was one of several players signed by Paul Jewell during the January transfer window, but made just three appearances.

Robert, 32, played under current Toronto coach John Carver at Newcastle.

Carver said: "I've spent a lot of time with Laurent and know about his game. He'll be a big asset to the team."

Robert, who also starred for Portsmouth, has not started a game since early February.

But Toronto general manager Mo Johnston, the former Celtic, Rangers and Scotland striker, said: "We are thrilled to have Laurent join Toronto FC and become part of our club.

"He's a tremendous player with a lot of talent, and we expect him to come in and make an impact with our club straight away."

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was still all Souness' fault you know.... all these problems he's had with clubs since he left Newcastle is all purely coincidental.

:)

Shame - brilliant footballer on his day - just hardly ever arsed.

funny how far he's fallen in such a short space of time. at 31 you'd think he could still find a decent club in europe. frustrating as he was, i used to love watching him on his day. was he as good for us as we remember?

Edited by Dr Gloom

funny how far he's fallen in such a short space of time. at 31 you'd think he could still find a decent club in europe. frustrating as he was, i used to love watching him on his day. was he as good for us as we remember?

Yes.

frustrating as hell for some. But my God he could play when he wanted. Some of the most audacious football I've seen at SJP. The two against Spurs alone spring to mind. Quite how neither won goal of the season was beyond me. (I think Henry's backheel won it that year)

I think if Souness wasn't the next manager, if Keegan had inherited him, or if Bobby had stayed we'd have had another good season and a half out of him at least.

Worth the Money we spent buying him as he (and Bellamy) got us into the Champions League and you cannot say that he didn't get you involved in the game. Love him or hate him you had to care one way or the other.

Yes.

frustrating as hell for some. But my God he could play when he wanted. Some of the most audacious football I've seen at SJP. The two against Spurs alone spring to mind. Quite how neither won goal of the season was beyond me. (I think Henry's backheel won it that year)

I think if Souness wasn't the next manager, if Keegan had inherited him, or if Bobby had stayed we'd have had another good season and a half out of him at least.

Worth the Money we spent buying him as he (and Bellamy) got us into the Champions League and you cannot say that he didn't get you involved in the game. Love him or hate him you had to care one way or the other.

another continental mercenary moving for money

Yes.

Nothing sums up Souness's reign more than what happened to Bellamy and Robert. Bobby signed the two talented but troubled players, who took us from midtable obscurity to the champion's league. Souness comes in, falls out with both and they're gone within a season, and back to midtable obscurity we scuttled.

Obviously there were a lot more factors than that and both players weren't innocent either, but to see such a drastic, rapid and depressingly predictable change of circumstances under Souness made you think it was if Bobby and his time at the club had never happened.

Yes.

another continental mercenary moving for money

I wouldn't class Reunion as mainland Europe :)

• 2 weeks later...

Robert left Derby Co. to go to Toronto FC.

Played his first game for Toronto on Sunday against the LA Galaxy.

Galaxy 2 - 3 Toronto.

Beckham doesn't seem to be raising the Galaxy to new heights. Played 3, won 1, lost 2.

Toronto's first win. Maybe Robert will raise them to the 'galaxy'.

all the good managers will tell you, some players are worth the hassle , robert and bellamy are those types of players . souness thought he was bigger thn this club for some reason.

Robert left Derby Co. to go to Toronto FC.

Played his first game for Toronto on Sunday against the LA Galaxy.

Galaxy 2 - 3 Toronto.

Beckham doesn't seem to be raising the Galaxy to new heights. Played 3, won 1, lost 2.

Toronto's first win. Maybe Robert will raise them to the 'galaxy'.

I think it was Robert's 2nd game for them, someone on N-O said he played last week and posted the picture up.

TBH its bullshit that selling Robert and Bellamy fucked us. Judging on their form since they left 4 seasons ago we sold them at exactly the right time!

Not replacing them properly fucked us.

TBH its bullshit that selling Robert and Bellamy fucked us. Judging on their form since they left 4 seasons ago we sold them at exactly the right time!

i guess owen was bellamy's replacement and n'zogbia was supposed to be robert's long term replacement. agree that neither have had as big an impact on the side as their predecessors

Yeah it was his 2nd game for Toronto, played last week against Washington DC and had a few decent touches judging from the highlights.

Appears to have got the assist for the winner in that game against LA.

i guess owen was bellamy's replacement and n'zogbia was supposed to be robert's long term replacement. agree that neither have had as big an impact on the side as their predecessors

Thing is the right still isn't what it should be (or was) and neither is central midfield (although at least we're showing signs there now), and probably still LB too.

I suppose at least it should be easy for Keegan to see where he wants people, just a case of if we can get who we need for those positions.

• 4 months later...
Former Newcastle United winger Laurent Robert has joined Greek outfit Larissa.

The 33-year-old, who spent time with MLS outfit Toronto FC after leaving Derby County, has signed a two-year deal.

"Larissa can confirm the signing of Laurent Robert," read a statement on their official website.

"Robert brings exceptional football quality and great experience from the biggest leagues in Europe.

"He joins former Newcastle team-mates Nikos Dabizas and Nolberto Solano at the club."