Larissa snap up Robert

RlCO

Town boss Jim Magilton has confirmed he is interested in signing former Newcastle United left winger Laurent Robert.

The 32 year old is currently avaliable on a free after parting with Levante previous to which he had spells at Portsmouth and Benfica following his departure from St James' Park in 2005.

Article continues below

Confirming the News to the EADT Magilton said: "If Laurent Robert was available I'd encourage him to come to the club so we can look at him. He's someone we know has all the qualities we like.

"There's a possibility that we can take him in and it will be down to Robert if he wants to come and be part of this club."

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ipswich are considering offering a contract to former Newcastle wideman Laurent Robert.

The Frenchman with the rocket left foot is on trial at Portman Road, and Town boss Jim Magilton admits both parties are ‘looking at each other’.

Robert is currently a free agent after being released by Spanish club Levante, and his quality would be welcome in an Ipswich side that is still to win away from home this season.

“Laurent Robert is very good friends with our chief scout Charlie Woods and he invited him over to watch our game against Burnley,” explained Magilton.

“He is a free agent and if he wants to have a look at us and let us have a look at him then he is more than welcome.

“It is an open invite and he’s certainly someone whose quality can help us.”

• 2 weeks later...

been played out of position or in really bad teams since he left us.

if derby gave him a free role thy could get the best out of him, if he's interested.

oh and in my opinion whilst not as good a dribbler as ginola he was a far better creative player. one season he was involved in 40 goals (scored 11 and created 29) for us. that says a lot about him when he could be bothered.

if derby gave him a free role thy could get the best out of him, if he's interested.

oh and in my opinion whilst not as good a dribbler as ginola he was a far better creative player. one season he was involved in 40 goals (scored 11 and created 29) for us. that says a lot about him when he could be bothered.

....which was sadly about as common as rocking horse shit under a blue moon in a month of Sundays....

Very gifted player who simply couldn't be arsed most of the time - what a waste. And exactly the type of player I'd say Derby don't need right now...

....which was sadly about as common as rocking horse shit under a blue moon in a month of Sundays....

Very gifted player who simply couldn't be arsed most of the time - what a waste. And exactly the type of player I'd say Derby don't need right now...

I wish we had a very gifted player again, someone who may be frustrating at times, but who will create goals, rather than the bunch of cloggers and grafters that form our midfield now.

I wish we had a very gifted player again, someone who may be frustrating at times, but who will create goals, rather than the bunch of cloggers and grafters that form our midfield now.

That's the current problem and while Robert was probably the most frsutrating player I've seen in recent times, if he had been an athlete (he used to coast through games) and more committed etc. he'd probably have been playing for Real Madrid or Barcelona rather than us.

always been a fan of Robert and thought he got the brunt of frustration from the Newcastle fans when he was here.

never forget those goals against Tottenham and even though Wor Larry effectively won the game on his todd, Wor Al still got the stadium man of the match because he scored twice as well. ;)

Never really impressed with Robbies set pieces mind...

Is that a joke? He scored a screamer against Southampton from about 40 yards out, a cracker against man u and a boat load of others. Not to mention plenty of assists from corners, free kicks and one of the best crossers of the ball this club has had

But apart from that. . . . yeah he was shit at set pieces

Guest Patrokles
thought he was a top rate player on his day. Felt he bore the brunt of those fans who need a scape goat (Yes Scott I'm talking to you). We could do with his flair and deadball ability that he showed in his first season or so.

anyone remember these?

Oooo a youtube compilation. Is there one that shows him wandering around the place looking disinterested too? Cos he did that a shitload. As for needing a scapegoat, I don't, I just wasn't blind to the fact that towards the end of his time here he was neither use nor ornament.

Maybe you were at uni at that point so didn't have to sit through it first-hand week after week. ;)

Robert -> Martins -> X?

I bet X wont be Alan "Hardworking no end product" Smitn...... :razz:

Robert and Martins are hardly comparable.

Never really impressed with Robbies set pieces mind...

Is that a joke? He scored a screamer against Southampton from about 40 yards out, a cracker against man u and a boat load of others. Not to mention plenty of assists from corners, free kicks and one of the best crossers of the ball this club has had

But apart from that. . . . yeah he was shit at set pieces

;) idiot boy

thought he was a top rate player on his day. Felt he bore the brunt of those fans who need a scape goat (Yes Scott I'm talking to you). We could do with his flair and deadball ability that he showed in his first season or so.

anyone remember these?

Oooo a youtube compilation. Is there one that shows him wandering around the place looking disinterested too? Cos he did that a shitload. As for needing a scapegoat, I don't, I just wasn't blind to the fact that towards the end of his time here he was neither use nor ornament.

Maybe you were at uni at that point so didn't have to sit through it first-hand week after week. ;)

Robert -> Martins -> X?

I bet X wont be Alan "Hardworking no end product" Smitn...... :razz:

Robert and Martins are hardly comparable.

Read the post properly. It was a "next" sign not a greater than..

Derby has signed him so we can be ever so thankful we don't have to play them again this season cos he might have scored against us and took all 6 points instead of the 4 they did. ;)