The day you became a mag.

Wavey Davey

Following on from the 'How much of a Mag are you?' threads I'd like to ask when the day was you started your love affair with the Toon.

My time was when I was about 9-10. I like to play football but had no interest in any team in particular, even watching it held no interest to me. My dad is NUFC-daft and would always try to get me interested by getting me the silver away kit when I was younger but it was no use. I even half-heartedly took an interest in Aston Villa(!?)(Being that I needed to follow someone as I was always living abroad and all the lads at school had a 'team').

It was around the time I was ready to come back to England from Germany when I saw a live match on TV. Ossie Ardilles was manager at the time and Tranmere were the opposition (a cup game, I think). It went to extra-time and penalties and sure enough we lost. I was intruiged and shocked by my reactions when we scored. Who was this team who scored so much, yet lost? Who was that interesting-looking tubby fella with the moustache? I was hooked. IT had chosen ME.

The rest, they say, is history.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't even remember it, I ask my mum why/when I started supporting newcastle and she just shrugs and says "you just always have done"

Edited by Andrew

Went to my first match when i was a kid, when there were 13000 at the match and we were crap and have been hooked ever since, its in the blood man.

That's the thing though, I think many got hooked by the craic even though we were shite, whereas now, recently I've taken cousins to the match and tried to gee up their interest, and they're not fucked, I think because the ground alternates between a mausoleam or a nasty bear pit, and frankly the language is disgusting, and they're just not old enough yet to appreciate the actual game for 90 minutes. And these are local kids that were raised in black and white romper suits.

October 1, 1996.

The day after the 4-3 home win over Aston Villa in which Yorke's hat trick was negated by two from Sir Les, and one each from Shearer and Howey. First Premier League Match I ever saw.

I have family from Stocksfield, so when I discovered that there was Premier League on TV over here and that NUFC were playing the first game it was pretty much decided.

The reason it's the day after the match is that I had to have my dad tape the match at work and bring the tape home for me to watch the next day because we didn't have cable.

Always been from when I was old enough to know what football was. I have a Toon supporters' scarf from the 80s - "Newcastle United, Stars in Stripes" that me mam claims I was wrapped in on the way back from the nursery.

So I'll help myself to a million or so magness points.

Stocksfield eh? I like that part of the world. Out in the sticks a bit but not too far out.

Given the chance, it's where I'd retire. Absolutely love it there. ;)

Got my eye on Hexham if the whole Monaco thing falls through.

I don't remember the exact day, or even how old I was, although I can't have been any older than 5. Basically, as soon as I knew what football was I was NUFC. I never chose my team, it was a case of supporting Newcastle because I'm from Newcastle.

Guest stevieintoon

I'll never be a "MAG". Mag and Mags in my experience are something out of towners call us, particularly mackems. I think if you're from NE1-NE29 you should have no choice of team. My first game we beat Liverpool 1-0 1985, but I was a toon fan well before that in my head.

I don't remember the exact day, or even how old I was, although I can't have been any older than 5. Basically, as soon as I knew what football was I was NUFC. I never chose my team, it was a case of supporting Newcastle because I'm from Newcastle.

Same as ;)

I couldnt really pinpoint when I started supporting, I wasnt all that much of a football fan when I was younger but always liked to check how the toon had got on, was never one for watching the games until injury forced me out of my motorsports career, since then its just been one club for me, which coming from Hartlepool is a bit odd, just think I have always felt newcastle is the team for me.

Now I watch al the games, go to as many as possible, work permitting and follow the news both on and off the pitch.

I think it is something thats in your blood, not being a Geordie means I should perhaps follow another club closer to home, but I just couldnt allow myself to.

Keegan, Beardsley Gazza and Waddle were my favourite growing up so I always had soft spot for Newcastle, but the love afair started when Keegan took over, it seemed a match made in heaven, I was heavily into playing SWOS in those days and always played as Newcastle and soon became obsessed.