SSN - Newcastle to make official approach for Redknapp

Scottish Mag

Look at it this way:

What would the reaction have been like if we had gone and made Redknapp manager after Roeder resigned in May? And then ask yourself, what has changed? We're not in a worse position than a year ago, far from it - we have a billionaire owner now.

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting to note that the BBC are still running with the story about Pompey insisting Redknapp will stay. If there's some truth in rumours they usually report it in some way.

we're a mediocre club atm to whom qualifying for Europe for the next couple of seasons would be a pretty large step forward.

If that was the case, surely Souness and Allardyce should have succeeded? Newcastle is a massive club and an even bigger job (primarly because of the fans expectations). Under estimate that at your peril as Ruud Gullit found out.

Nah Newcastle is a mediocre club with massive potential.

But with an expectation level more suited to ManUre or Chelski (which was fair enough under Keegan and Robon, but not now).

Edited by Fop

Look at it this way:

What would the reaction have been like if we had gone and made Redknapp manager after Roeder resigned in May? And then ask yourself, what has changed? We're not in a worse position than a year ago, far from it - we have a billionaire owner now.

Thats exactly how I feel - Redknapp and Allardyce aren't/weren't bad Shepherd era appointments - but in the supposed brave new Ashley world they are small beer imo.

Look at it this way:

Come to think of it, after he3aring david craig on skysports right now, there is a sense of deja vu. He thinks harry said exactly the same things as allradcye last year.

- Thinks he can win over the fans

- Big club, offer irresistable

- Will play good brand of football (Allardcye didnt say this though!!!)

If we go 7+ games without scoring at home, HR and his team will be booed of the pitch, and probably fired.

As Gemmil(I think) put it, "Welcome to Newcastle, never mind 3-5year plans. Unless you have a 15 game plan, you're fucked".

If we go 7+ games without scoring at home, HR and his team will be booed of the pitch, and probably fired.

As Gemmil(I think) put it, "Welcome to Newcastle, never mind 3-5year plans. Unless you have a 15 game plan, you're fucked".

Depends on the away games as well, not just home though?

Or is that too sensible :lol:

Interesting to note that the BBC are still running with the story about Pompey insisting Redknapp will stay. If there's some truth in rumours they usually report it in some way.

It's no surprise they're insisting he'll stay, they have to do it for the compensation negotiations. We wouldn't be this far in if we didn't know that Redknapp wanted to come here and if he wants to come and we're prepared to offer money for him it's just a matter of how much Pompey are willing to accept.

I think the Beeb would only say he was coming if it was definite, but that story doesn't mean he is staying at Pompey.

I know, I agree that it doesn't discount things... I just wonder if it's not as far down the road as SSN would have us believe. I don't think it's unprecedented that they've run with an exclusive that turned out to be a load of bollocks...

Didn't they say at one point that Rooney was likely to choose us over Man Utd? :lol:

I'm not saying he'd come but I'd be disappointed if we didn't at least try and get someone like Mourinho. Looks like I'm going to be disappointed.

My hope is that Redknapp is using our interest to get a better contract at Pompey.

Recently signed a new and improved contract recently, bit soon to be trying that on I reckon.

I'm clutching at straws, okay? ;):lol:

My hope is that Redknapp is using our interest to get a better contract at Pompey.

Recently signed a new and improved contract recently, bit soon to be trying that on I reckon.

Recently you say?

I'm not saying he'd come but I'd be disappointed if we didn't at least try and get someone like Mourinho. Looks like I'm going to be disappointed.

That's the sentiment I was echoing earlier in the thread. IF it's going to be Redknapp then it looks like they've moved so quickly for him that no-one else has even been considered. To not consider Mourinho, whether it's plausible or not, is in my opinion a failure.

Recently you say?

Signed a new deal in September didn't he?

Recently you say?

Signed a new deal in September didn't he?

:lol:

Apparently the Chronicle are preparing a back page announcing Redknapp's going to be the next manager. Mind yesterday they were running the story that it's going to be Hughes so you pays your money and takes yer choice.

Anal Oliver not having a clue?

Surely not!

That's the sentiment I was echoing earlier in the thread. IF it's going to be Redknapp then it looks like they've moved so quickly for him that no-one else has even been considered. To not consider Mourinho, whether it's plausible or not, is in my opinion a failure.

We don't really know what has been going on behind to scenes before Allardyce was sacked, we could've been sounding out potential managers then and been turned down by Mourinho, though to go from wanting Mourinho to hiring Redknapp is a bit of a step down.

Why are managers like that going to come here?

The squad is ok, but without a fairly sizeable transfer budget isn't looking like top 6.

The cash may be decent, but without the time cash is likely all you'll be getting.

The only "top class" managers that would come here are ones that might have considered the England job, end of career/pay off types looking for one last challenge, although even then I suspect it's not as tempting as some might think.

Personally, I think the club needs a 'Big Club' manager. Whilst I would have given Big Sam till the end of the season, I think his failure was that he still had a small cub/underdog mentality. After him and Roeder we need someone who knows what it's like to run a beast of a club, and Redknapp doesn't I'm afraid.

On the plus side, if his appoitment means Louise Redknapp will be in town a canny bit then I'm all for him.