SSN - Newcastle to make official approach for Redknapp

Scottish Mag

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Am I the only one who is slightly underwhelmed by talk of a £20m 'war chest'? Granted, 'arry will probably buy around 25 players with that in this transfer window alone, but I was thinking around twice that for the manager that Ashley truly backed. Like others are saying, the bar seems to have been set lower than expected in more ways than one.

Honestly man, I'd like anyone on here to put on a positive spin on us going for Harry fucking Redknapp, because I can't. Leazes was right after all if Ashley really does think Redknapp is a step forward.

Fuck off.

Am I the only one who is slightly underwhelmed by talk of a £20m 'war chest'? Granted, 'arry will probably buy around 25 players with that in this transfer window alone, but I was thinking around twice that for the manager that Ashley truly backed. Like others are saying, the bar seems to have been set lower than expected in more ways than one.

In this January transfer window, £20m is decent enough, that's two good players at least. But I'd hope that figure at least triples in the off-season otherwise I would be pretty fucking livid if it isn't with the squad atm.

Honestly man, I'd like anyone on here to put on a positive spin on us going for Harry fucking Redknapp, because I can't. Leazes was right after all if Ashley really does think Redknapp is a step forward.

Fuck off.

Better Arry than McClaren. But that's not saying very much at all... :lol:

(I am amused that Redknapp endears himself to the Toon on the basis he plays attractive football. Have they seen what has been served up at Fratton this year?)

On a Pompey forum.

From .com:

29.12.07 Portsmouth 0 Middlesbrough 1

26.12.07 Portsmouth 0 Arsenal 0

15.12.07 Portsmouth 0 Tottenham 0

01.12.07 Portsmouth 0 Everton 1

11.11.07 Portsmouth 0 Man City 0

27.10.07 Portsmouth 0 West Ham 0

(I am amused that Redknapp endears himself to the Toon on the basis he plays attractive football. Have they seen what has been served up at Fratton this year?)

On a Pompey forum.

From .com:

Not very impressive is it, but i can't see any defeats to Derby on their results.....

On a Pompey forum.

From .com:

Not very impressive is it, but i can't see any defeats to Derby on their results.....

Because they've only played them once this season. It was a draw...

Edited by Bombadil

Ok, so it might to be Lippi, or Wenger or Jose :lol: But come on, lets get a slice of realism here. Look at the state of us? Look at what we have done since Bobby left (was pushed) ? Why would any one of that calibre even think of coming here right now? Ive no doubt we could have got Sven, but we had Sam at the time. Jose probably wouldnt even pick up the phone to us. None of us wanted McLaren or Hughes. Would Jol have been much better than Harry? Looks at Spurs start to the season under him?

Im sick of the shit thats been served up this season. IF (still an IF remember) Harry took what was offered, I know Id get behind him.

Ashley wont be saying "I want to with the CL Harry" more like "We need to be in Europe". Then we'd see where we went from there. It is much a sideways step (or would be) but if he did come on ffs give the bloke a chance. No wonder were becoming a laughing stock.

Ok, so it might to be Lippi, or Wenger or Jose :lol: But come on, lets get a slice of realism here. Look at the state of us? Look at what we have done since Bobby left (was pushed) ? Why would any one of that calibre even think of coming here right now? Ive no doubt we could have got Sven, but we had Sam at the time. Jose probably wouldnt even pick up the phone to us. None of us wanted McLaren or Hughes. Would Jol have been much better than Harry? Looks at Spurs start to the season under him?

Im sick of the shit thats been served up this season. IF (still an IF remember) Harry took what was offered, I know Id get behind him.

Ashley wont be saying "I want to with the CL Harry" more like "We need to be in Europe". Then we'd see where we went from there. It is much a sideways step (or would be) but if he did come on ffs give the bloke a chance. No wonder were becoming a laughing stock.

If we're becoming a laughing stock, it's hardly because people wouldn't be happy with Redknapp, it's because of Redknapp himself. No-one expects Mourinho or Lippi, but it seems Ashley isn't looking past Redknapp anyway, which is a massive disappointment given the funds he has at his disposal.

Harry Redknapp man! You can bet your life he won't last longer than a year if he's appointed.

:lol: how does anyone know he isnt looking past Harry? How does anyone know who he hasnt or hasnt been on the phone to? Come on, have a read around. Just who do we really want?

Sky Sports News understands Newcastle are ready to make an official approach to Portsmouth for Harry Redknapp.

Just what the hell does that mean?! 'Understands'? From who??? The club has either said it or they haven't. For anyone who thinks 'we should give Harry a chance' if he's brought in I say bollocks, it's ridiculous. Redknapp doesn't inspire any form of optimism, he's a cockney tit who's in no way better than Sam, call it a sideways step or whatever but one way to garentee that a manager won't get a decent chance is to employ one who doesn't get the fans going. I'm fed up to the back teeth of every time this managerial roundabout kicks off with us we end up extremely underwhelmed, no wonder there's a large portion of the fans who are so indifferent and unsupportive. I don't believe this rubbish about not being able to attract a higher class of manager either, money talks and Ashley's got a stack, he either wants to win stuff with Newcastle or he doesn't.

If we get Redknapp I'll be mightly fed up with the whole thing.

Sky Sports News understands Newcastle are ready to make an official approach to Portsmouth for Harry Redknapp.

Just what the hell does that mean?! 'Understands'? From who??? The club has either said it or they haven't. For anyone who thinks 'we should give Harry a chance' if he's brought in I say bollocks, it's ridiculous. Redknapp doesn't inspire any form of optimism, he's a cockney tit who's in no way better than Sam, call it a sideways step or whatever but one way to garentee that a manager won't get a decent chance is to employ one who doesn't get the fans going. I'm fed up to the back teeth of every time this managerial roundabout kicks off with us we end up extremely underwhelmed, no wonder there's a large portion of the fans who are so indifferent and unsupportive. I don't believe this rubbish about not being able to attract a higher class of manager either, money talks and Ashley's got a stack, he either wants to win stuff with Newcastle or he doesn't.

Whilst I am completely underwhelmed by the appointment (if true) of course as a supporter of the club I am going to give him a chance. What do you propose we do? Continue the pantomime booing, start Redknapp out chants etc

Some people wouldn't even give Allardyce 12 matches, do you think we should be hounding Harry out before a ball is even kicked? :lol:

Whilst I am completely underwhelmed by the appointment (if true) of course as a supporter of the club I am going to give him a chance. What do you propose we do? Continue the pantomime booing, start Redknapp out chants etc

Some people wouldn't even give Allardyce 12 matches, do you think we should be hounding Harry out before a ball is even kicked? :lol:

;)

I not about to start shouting his name from the roof, but who else were we going to get?

I wouldn't put it past the mongs. Those that have been chanting Shearer and Keegan will probably wait for the slightest opportunity. This is Newcastle United Football Club after all.

On a Pompey forum.

From .com:

Jan 01, 08 Premiership Won Reading FC 0 - 2 Portsmouth FC

Dec 22, 07 Premiership Lost Liverpool FC 4 - 1 Portsmouth FC

Dec 08, 07 Premiership Won Aston Villa FC 1 - 3 Portsmouth FC

Nov 24, 07 Premiership Won Birmingham City 0 - 2 Portsmouth FC

Nov 03, 07 Premiership Won Newcastle United 1 - 4 Portsmouth FC

Oct 20, 07 Premiership Won Wigan Athletic 0 - 2 Portsmouth FC

Oct 07, 07 Premiership Won Fulham FC 0 - 2 Portsmouth FC

:lol:

Ok, so it might to be Lippi, or Wenger or Jose ;) But come on, lets get a slice of realism here. Look at the state of us? Look at what we have done since Bobby left (was pushed) ? Why would any one of that calibre even think of coming here right now? Ive no doubt we could have got Sven, but we had Sam at the time. Jose probably wouldnt even pick up the phone to us. None of us wanted McLaren or Hughes. Would Jol have been much better than Harry? Looks at Spurs start to the season under him?

..er...he was sacked.... :lol:

Ok, so it might to be Lippi, or Wenger or Jose ;) But come on, lets get a slice of realism here. Look at the state of us? Look at what we have done since Bobby left (was pushed) ? Why would any one of that calibre even think of coming here right now? Ive no doubt we could have got Sven, but we had Sam at the time. Jose probably wouldnt even pick up the phone to us. None of us wanted McLaren or Hughes. Would Jol have been much better than Harry? Looks at Spurs start to the season under him?

Yeah I know, look it as early when I done that ok ;)

I think for me personally I'm just fed up to the back teeth with the continuous appointment of 'make do' managers rather than pushing the boat out and getting someone with a decent rep or at least inspiring in (yes, I know Sam had an rep of sorts but he's the exception of recent appointments). I don't propose the whole pantomime thing, I don't do booing anyway but I certainly would be less inclined to buy a season/match ticket, new shirt, club merchandise, etc. I think I'd just find myself in that limbo of being a supporter but unable to muster any enthusiasm, is it wrong to want someone a bit more exciting than Harry Redknapp?

the .COM boys don't sound too impressed, do they? :lol:

'Napp Off

Trepidation gives way to alarm....Friday's newspaper back pages are almost universal in their reporting of Ashley's intent to pay Harry Redknapp a cockney kings' ransom to succeed Sam Allardyce at SJP.

Mega-money claims of salaries, transfer kittys and private flights from Dorset to Tyneside are being made.

Is it just us....or are others equally nonplussed by this apparent attempt to replace one dodgy operator with another? After all, the bloke is still on bail until next month.

He was quoted in August by The Times as saying,

"I’m not a person who likes change, in all honesty. If I’m somewhere I’m happy, the money doesn’t matter and I’m not on an ego trip. I’m very happy here until such time as someone wants to change me. I love working here. The thought of going to any other club doesn’t interest me at all."

Apart from three years in Seattle, he's lived in London or the South Coast all his life. At 60 would he really want to up sticks and move to the North-East? If he doesn't then forget it, we don't want him jetting up for a few days a week.

It's also worth noting that the fantastic free-flowing football from Portsmouth this season translates into the following recent Premiership results at Fratton Park:

Imagine a repeat of those results at St. James'? Harry would be on his way before May. Even our disastrous recent home form saw us score half a dozen times in the last six games.

PS - Pascal Chimbonda reported as being ready to move to Newcastle. Pascal's agent is Willie Mackay......has anything really changed since the dark days of Freddie?

Yeah I know, look it as early when I done that ok ;)

;);)

Some people wouldn't even give Allardyce 12 matches, do you think we should be hounding Harry out before a ball is even kicked? ;)

I think for me personally I'm just fed up to the back teeth with the continuous appointment of 'make do' managers rather than pushing the boat out and getting someone with a decent rep or at least inspiring in (yes, I know Sam had an rep of sorts but he's the exception of recent appointments). I don't propose the whole pantomime thing, I don't do booing anyway but I certainly would be less inclined to buy a season/match ticket, new shirt, club merchandise, etc. I think I'd just find myself in that limbo of being a supporter but unable to muster any enthusiasm, is it wrong to want someone a bit more exciting than Harry Redknapp?

Of course not, we all want someone more exciting than Redknapp, but we have to have some realism. IF Harry gets the role, Id like to think of him steadying things, improving the football, settling things down somewhat, and us taking a bigger step next time. We have to give whoever gets the role, Harry or not, a chance. Of course we'd love someone like Jose, but we aint exactly Barcelona are we? No really we aint! :lol: