Newcastle chief targets David Beckham

Scottish Mag

Newcastle United are out to sign David Beckham in a plan hatched by Mike Ashley and backed by Kevin Keegan.

Billionaire owner Ashley is making contact with key figures behind the scenes to find out whether Beckham would fancy a move to the Tyne - despite the problems it would cause in his new career with American MLS outfit LA Galaxy.

The shrewd Toon supremo knows that the former England skipper would sell shirts by the thousand at his club and also make them a world-wide brand.

Ashley is not afraid to back his hunches - as he knows all the right people. He also paid £180million for a stake in adidas recently.

Newcastle's shirts are made by adidas and Beckham is the face of the brand, so it would be a commercial masterstroke as well as a sound deal for footballing reasons.

Beckham, who was on good terms with Keegan when Kev was England boss, has signed up for a lucrative spell in US football and is committed to it. But Ashley hopes the lure of Newcastle, Keegan and a better chance of staying in the England side will swing a transfer or loan deal.

Ashley would have to compensate LA Galaxy and the MLS handsomely if he wants to take Beckham on a long-term contract.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How long is left on his contract?

It was £128M over 5 years, so £25M a year give or take.

£500k a week? I think we could be blamed for driving up Premier league wages if it happened.

We'd be directly responsible for raising the country's rate of inflation at that fucking price.

How long is left on his contract?

It was £128M over 5 years, so £25M a year give or take.

£500k a week? I think we could be blamed for driving up Premier league wages if it happened.

We'd be directly responsible for raising the country's rate of inflation at that fucking price.

Let's do it then, it'll wind them up even more :blush:

Unless Posh doesn't like the shops over there and they really are failing to conquer the US celebrity market (football has bugger all to do with why they went over there), then I can't see it happening.

Although at least we'd have a player that can pass, even if he just stands stationary in the centre circle all game to do it. :blush:

I don't know about signing a player on huge money for huge money who clearly has his best days behind him, hopefully we're not putting marketing in front of strengthening the first team.

Didn't we sign Beardsley at a similar point in his career and pay him a handsome wage?

I don't know about signing a player on huge money for huge money who clearly has his best days behind him, hopefully we're not putting marketing in front of strengthening the first team.

Didn't we sign Beardsley at a similar point in his career and pay him a handsome wage?

Pedro was on £500k pw. :blush:

With Beckham having been away from the PL for so long and having never been blessed with much pace or dribbling skills to start off with I'd see this as a very big risk at this stage of his career for the outlay we'd have to provide.

With Beckham having been away from the PL for so long and having never been blessed with much pace or dribbling skills to start off with I'd see this as a very big risk at this stage of his career for the outlay we'd have to provide.

I wouldn't worry about it. If it happens I'll bare my arse in Fenwicks window.

Possibly. But then again, having players like Beckham and Owen on your books could help bring in other big names - Ronaldinho for example! :razz:

Keegan weighs up his options

Jan 22 2008 by Alan Oliver, Evening Chronicle

KEVIN KEEGAN has stepped up his search to bring some much-needed new blood to St James’s Park.

The United boss locked himself away at the club’s training ground yesterday afternoon with his trusty lieutenants Terry McDermott and Arthur Cox with a “do not disturb” notice on the door.

But reports suggesting that United were lining up an audacious bid for David Beckham were today dismissed by chairman Chris Mort.

United fans will not be surprised to hear that Keegan is not letting the grass grow under his feet, but of course he faces a race against time with the transfer window shutting again in nine days’ time.

Even though he gave the first-team squad the day off yesterday, Keegan lifted the club’s younger players by supervising a session with them.

Then it was down to trying to work out just what players he can bring in.

In his first spell as boss of United, Keegan always liked to see any signings himself out on the field and he was not a great believer in watching videos, but with the clock ticking he will have to cut his cloth accordingly.

And he will know better than anyone that as soon as he makes any kind of approach for a player then the price will shoot up.

I am told Keegan will go for big names, and he has certainly been linked with plenty in the last couple of days, including David Beckham.

The England ace has been training with Arsenal, with his current side LA Galaxy in their close season.

However, Galaxy resume their Major League Soccer fixtures on March 29, and Beckham will be expected to report for pre-season training five weeks before that date.

In fact, Beckham was the 33rd player reported to be on his way to St James’s Park since Keegan returned, along with the likes of Micah Richards, Michael Carrick and Reading’s England left-back Nicky Shorey.

And other names to be linked with United over the last few days include: Sol Campbell, Shaun Wright-Phillips, Pascal Chimbonda, Wes Brown, Jermain Defoe, Wayne Bridge, Bayern Munich defender Daniel van Buyten and Espanyol’s Daniel Jarque Gonzalez.

Meanwhile, Keegan had his first-team squad back in today, but he knows that he also has to make decisions on the massive backroom staff he inherited from Sam Allardyce, probably in the next couple of days.

As others have said, I don't think for one minute this will happen. The press are seeing us with KK as manager suddenly as attractive to big name players and that we've got a £2bn cash-cow who'll fund whatever deal he wants. Any story they come up has plausability however unrealistic it may be.

Are you sure about Pedro's wages? I'd heard that one of the reasons SJH wasn't too keen early on was the amount KK wanted to pay a man who was in his 30s (wages, not transfer). You got a source?