Newcastle chief targets David Beckham

Scottish Mag

I don't know about signing a player on huge money for huge money who clearly has his best days behind him, hopefully we're not putting marketing in front of strengthening the first team.

Didn't we sign Beardsley at a similar point in his career and pay him a handsome wage?

Pedro was on £500k pw. :blush:

With Beckham having been away from the PL for so long and having never been blessed with much pace or dribbling skills to start off with I'd see this as a very big risk at this stage of his career for the outlay we'd have to provide.

As others have said, I don't think for one minute this will happen. The press are seeing us with KK as manager suddenly as attractive to big name players and that we've got a £2bn cash-cow who'll fund whatever deal he wants. Any story they come up has plausability however unrealistic it may be.

Are you sure about Pedro's wages? I'd heard that one of the reasons SJH wasn't too keen early on was the amount KK wanted to pay a man who was in his 30s (wages, not transfer). You got a source?

To be fair I may have misread your initial past and my figure of £500k pw may have been slightly wide of the mark. :razz:

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd rather give Bentley a heap of money to play for us

this.

Beckham won't come and I don't particularly want him.

He's a good player, but I'm not convinced his ability at dead ball situations and long ball game will be the right peg for the hole. I honestly believe we need a player who spots a tiny gap and threads a ball through it. Not someone who plays hollywood hail mary's. More Beardsley than Beckham imo.

on top of that the wages, his age and the circus that is stapled to him.

How long is left on his contract?

It was £128M over 5 years, so £25M a year give or take.

£500k a week? I think we could be blamed for driving up Premier league wages if it happened.

iirc most of that is made up from commercial contracts, image rights etc and his yearly wage actually paid by the club is more like £5m per year.

beckham moving anywhere will largely depend on whether cappelo suggests he will have to move back to europe in order to prolong his england career. in any event, i don't see him moving in this transfer window.

Guest Patrokles
I don't know about signing a player on huge money for huge money who clearly has his best days behind him, hopefully we're not putting marketing in front of strengthening the first team.

Didn't we sign Beardsley at a similar point in his career and pay him a handsome wage?

having never been blessed with much pace or dribbling skills to start off with

... so, given that he forged an entire career around not having pace or being able to dribble, why does it matter that he will have lost a yard? Good job.

having never been blessed with much pace or dribbling skills to start off with

... so, given that he forged an entire career around not having pace or being able to dribble, why does it matter that he will have lost a yard? Good job.

I'm saying that it was already a flaw in his game and is only going to get worse with age.

Now fuck off and give it a rest.

I thought these trophy signings were a thing of the past

:)

leave it alone man :razz:

i can't believe anyone would turn their nose up at beckham tbh.

Leazes sounding like a broken record again. :blush:

Seriously Leazes, you do realise that Keegan would never have come back if Shepherd and his cronies were still in charge? He said so himself. What do you make of that then?

Edited by Bombadil

:razz:

leave it alone man :blush:

I wouldn't have turned my nose up at him a year ago, and certainly wouldn't now either.

You understand my point though don't you ?

:)

leave it alone man :razz:

Leazes sounding like a broken record again. :blush:

Seriously Leazes, you do realise that Keegan would never have come back if Shepherd and his cronies were still in charge? He said so himself. What do you make of that then?

I'm over the moon Keegan is back, and the answer to your question is covered elsewhere.

I'll give you a clue though, who was the majority shareholder that decided to go PLC all those years ago ?

And I'm quite confident now - certainly hopeful - that Ashley may match the Champions League qualifications, and better it, now that he has appointed the same manager that Fletcher, Hall Jnr and Shepherd chose.

Beckham won't come and I don't particularly want him.

That's a shame Dave because I heard Beckham is positively gagging for a bit of you and your blazer :blush:

For those that don't want him, fool you.

The money he would generate for the club can nothing but good for the club.

Ashley, as much as it looks like he's a fan, is savvy enough that he won't throw money at something if he can't see a return.

And if it costs the club a year or two of over inflated wages, who cares if it is the impetuous to turn the clubs fortunes around.

Beckham will never come. This is just a ploy from cheap tabloids to read there bollocks.

Why would he come if he and his missus are loving life in la la land. Just plain wishful thinking...

:icon_lol:

leave it alone man :D

Leazes sounding like a broken record again. ;)

I'm over the moon Keegan is back, and the answer to your question is covered elsewhere.

I'll give you a clue though, who was the majority shareholder that decided to go PLC all those years ago ?

And I'm quite confident now - certainly hopeful - that Ashley may match the Champions League qualifications, and better it, now that he has appointed the same manager that Fletcher, Hall Jnr and Shepherd chose.

And the same directors that made him want to leave? :razz:

Funny thing is when either Beckham or Galaxy say this isn't true we are going to look like tits, even though we probably never wanted him in the first place or at least never made an offer ;)

According to an LA reporter who is usually pretty careful about what she publishes, the Galaxy and NUFC have been in talks. She suggests that it had something to do with Babayaro, but I don't know if that's just her trying to figure out something that they were talking about, because the odds of Beckman coming over are slim to none.

Anyways, interesting to know that there were actual talks. Allegedly.

www.sidelineviews.blogspot.com

According to an LA reporter who is usually pretty careful about what she publishes, the Galaxy and NUFC have been in talks. She suggests that it had something to do with Babayaro, but I don't know if that's just her trying to figure out something that they were talking about, because the odds of Beckman coming over are slim to none.

Anyways, interesting to know that there were actual talks. Allegedly.

www.sidelineviews.blogspot.com

What boils my piss is that Babayaro is basically getting double the wage he would have got, seeing as we paid him out of his contract. Flush bastard.