Dennis Wise quits Leeds to sign up for Newcastle revolution

Scottish Mag

With this recent appointment of Dennis (Wise Guy) Wise maybe we are making a point. With the journo's darn sarf giving us a right f up the a at the minute with everything we do. Maybe we are making a statement like Wise's former club Millwall and perhaps should sing along to;

Nobody likes us, we dont care!

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm reserving my opinion on this for 1 1/2 to 2 years down the track.

I had wanted a restructuring of the club for ages like many, and we've finally got it. But will the said new employees do the job?...we have to wait and see.

I am one of those who doesn't give a shit what Wise has done in the past. He is not a player any more. Let's see what he can do on the administrative side of things...

Edited by Ken

Hopefully a misinterpretation of a club source saying that we will make a wise appointment

this may just be because im pissed but ;)

Fucking hell . Wait till you see the woodgate thread :D

Hopefully a misinterpretation of a club source saying that we will make a wise appointment

this may just be because im pissed but ;)

Fucking hell . Wait till you see the woodgate thread :D

ooooh yeh... :D

It sounds great to me. It's the sort of thing where, if another club was doing it, we'd be going "Oh if only we had such foresight". We do it, and everybody arches their eyebrows with suspicion. We're finally about to enter the 21st century as a football club.

By the way, to any of the thick fucks giving it "Ewww but I don't like Wise. He's small and he chased a 13 year old down the street": stuff like that is completely irrelevant. What matters is whether the bloke can do the job he's been offered. And given that he was doing a pretty good job at Leeds, he at least deserves a fair crack of the whip.

Listening to the radio this morning and the fucking rent-a-mongs are out all ready "Wey I think it's a horrible idea. Doing a good job at Leeds, but he's not ready for the Premiership." Whether anyone actually explained to this fuckwit that he wasn't actually taking over as manager from Keegan is anyone's guess, but it just amazes me how stupid some people are.

Looking at the article on .com I'm actually warming right up to this providing Keegan is fully on board with it (otherwise I see another walk out looming). It looks like it will be providing us with the kind of set up we've been crying out for and the prospect of actually picking up some bargins from overseas as oppose to paying £8m for centrebacks six months after they went for free is very appealing.

It sounds great to me. It's the sort of thing where, if another club was doing it, we'd be going "Oh if only we had such foresight". We do it, and everybody arches their eyebrows with suspicion. We're finally about to enter the 21st century as a football club.

If ol' diving board is happy then that's good enough for me. ;)

Is there any truth in what I've read on Sky Sports, Keegan is shocked and in the dark about the signing of Wise? Surely Mort and Ashley wouldn't do that without consulting Keegan, would they?

Is there any truth in what I've read on Sky Sports, Keegan is shocked and in the dark about the signing of Wise? Surely Mort and Ashley wouldn't do that without consulting Keegan, would they?

It sounds to me like he knew that someone would be coming in but hasn't been consulted or kept in the loop as to who it is or maybe what their exact role is which would seem a strange way of doing things to me.

After reading what its all actuually about I agree - especially the mackems who were pissing themselves laughing yesterday on the SMB along side dozens of threads asking why players don't sign for them and why Keane didn't buy any decent foreigners.

I'm also happier having read the article in terms of Keegan's happiness with it - I was worried a bit yesterday.

http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastl...61634-20405713/

Move for Wise had Keegan’s blessing

Jan 29 2008 by Luke Edwards, The Journal

DENNIS Wise’s arrival at Newcastle United will receive the full backing of manager Kevin Keegan as the former England international’s role will see him have no influence on first-team affairs.

Wise will take up a newly-created position at St James’s Park this week, in which he will be expected to oversee improvements in the club’s Academy – as well as help in identifying potential transfer targets – and the increasingly time-consuming business of player contract negotiations.

But the former Leeds United manager, who has quit Elland Road to become part of a new management structure under chairman Chris Mort, will not hinder Keegan’s decision-making or impinge on his power.

Keegan will retain control of first team recruitment and will have sole responsibility for developing and running the first team squad after he agreed to the appointment of Wise during the initial talks which led to his return as manager a fortnight ago.

There were some suggestions yesterday that Wise’s arrival could undermine Keegan, but The Journal understands the appointment has been frequently discussed between manager and chairman and that there is no split on the thinking behind the decision. Indeed, Mort hinted at the Press conference at which Keegan was unveiled as Newcastle manager for a second time earlier this month that such an appointment would be made.

He said: “I think it’s a bigger business and we’re a bigger club than when he was here last. We don’t want to overburden him with responsibilities. We’re not going to say, ‘Kevin – go and sort out the Academy or go and sort out international recruitment’. We wouldn’t expect Kevin to have that on his plate.

“What I’ve said to Kevin is that it’s his call in terms of who comes in. Some managers have a reputation for wanting to bring their own people in, but Kevin said he wanted to come and see what there is. He might want to work with those guys.

“We’re going to leave it up to Kevin. We’re going to be guided by him and we’ll be comfortable with whatever he decides.”

And it appears as though Keegan is satisfied with developments which mean he will be able to concentrate on the first team, while Wise deals with more general matters involved in the running of the football side of the club.

Although increasingly resigned to the fact he will not be able to sign any new players before the close of the transfer

window on Thursday night, Keegan hinted he would soon receive some help in the recruitment process.

“I don’t see the need to panic,” said Keegan, who saw chief target Jonathan Woodgate complete his move to Tottenham Hotspur yesterday despite a late bid from Newcastle last week.

“When we get the players back from the African Nations (Cup) we will have the sort of size of squad you need to succeed in the Premier League. We’ve got to get through to that point.

“This squad is the best I’ve had and I mean that 100%. Bringing players in to better these, you have to be more selective.

“We’re looking at both ends of the market, three or four certainties (who can play straight away in the Premier League) and three or four young chances. That’s what the club are trying to do and I think you’ll see that by some of the things that are being done.”

Wise has been one of the most colourful characters of English football’s modern era, as well as one of its most unpopular during an illustrious playing career with Wimbledon and Chelsea. The 41-year-old has a mixed record as a manager, taking Millwall to an FA Cup Final in 2004 before losing his job as a result of poor league form in the Championship.

He was appointed Swindon manager in May 2006, but left when he was given the chance to become Leeds boss just five months later.

He could not save the Yorkshire club from relegation to League One last year, but has successfully established them as promotion candidates this season despite a 15-point penalty for going into administration.

However, Wise is believed to have become increasingly weary of day-to-day football management and was keen to take on a different type of role.

Leeds chairman Ken Bates said: “I wasn’t surprised. There had been a story a while ago which we ignored, but it mentioned the person who engineered Gus Poyet’s move (to Tottenham) from the club.

“Newcastle approached us last Friday and after we got the assurances we wanted I told Dennis he could talk to them. He rang me and told me he would like to take it and in football you don’t stand in the way of people who want to better themselves.

“He apologised for giving us such short notice but said it was too good an opportunity to miss. He’s leaving the club on a stronger footing than he found it when he came here.”

Newcastle are also looking to recruit the former Rushden and Diamonds youth team coach Jeff Vetere as their European scout after he performed a similar role for Charlton Athletic and, most recently, Spanish giants Real Madrid.

The new senior management team could also include businessman Tony Jimenez, an acquaintance of owner Mike Ashley, as Newcastle look to recruit experts in all football-related matters.

Ahhh, now that makes more sense. I thought it'd be a bit strange that Ashley and Mort would rock the boat so soon after going to the trouble and expense of bringing Keegan back to us - what a surprise that the press are trying to make a big thing of stirring already...

This hasn't just happened as a result of Mort and Ashley having a 'diskusson ;)' at Blu Bamboo. Mort hasn't just thought 'I know, let's employ Dennis Wise!'

I know nowt about the other two geezers employed but it sounds as though they know something about football (european footballers, in particular). God knows how Dennis Wise's name came to the fore, but someone somewhere must see something in him - for this specific role - to recommend him for this setup.

As I said earlier, I cannot stand Wise but I have a feeling this is going to be good for NUFC; fingers crossed I'm right.

The only reservation I have is that the three amigos will become 'The Untouchables' in that if things go pear-shaped on the pitch, for a prolonged period of time, these people will have no responsibility for the players they have brought in and the consequenses on the results. They could end up sucking on the golden tit (to borrow a former Wolves owner's phrase) for a long time. Time will tell.

I think you can pretty much guarantee that Wise is being groomed as Keegans replacement.

He's been the most impressive up and coming British manager in the lower leagues for a couple of years. Always had his teams up the top end and never been in danger of getting sacked.

Morshley doesn't give a shit about his popularity within the game, all they know is he's overachieved at each club he's been at, and they want someone experienced like that lined up should anything unexpected happen, or just to take the reigns in three and a half years.

I think you can pretty much guarantee that Wise is being groomed as Keegans replacement.

He's been the most impressive up and coming British manager in the lower leagues for a couple of years. Always had his teams up the top end and never been in danger of getting sacked.

Morshley doesn't give a shit about his popularity within the game, all they know is he's overachieved at each club he's been at, and they want someone experienced like that lined up should anything unexpected happen, or just to take the reigns in three and a half years.

You sure of all that???

I could only see Wise as KK's replacement, if he (Keegan) was sacked or walked out, for a short term until a full time manager was appointed.

Wise got Leeds relegated yes? Did fuck all at Swindon ???

Like the 'Morshley' thing btw ;)

Waiting for LM's post. Prob about DOF or summat.

:D

we won't mention the absolutely stupid post you made a week ago condemning scousers for slating their board for the crime of backing their manager

As ironic and dumb as anything I've ever found anywhere

What are you on about? Yes I had a go at them for protesting against a board that has financially backed their manager, what's wrong with that? What's the difference between me saying that and you defending Shepherd on the basis that he backed his managers?

Tbf those two yanks are well on the way to fucking up the club.

They'll be borrowing money soon to prop up the ailing ice hockey side and one guess where that is going to come from.

Well, just for those who condemned the old board for the "debts" at the club, who read the article over the weekend that showed the top 4 clubs ie Chelsea, manure, Liverpool and Arsenal, currently have debts of approx 1.5 billion quid.

Terrible job they are doing there, eh ? :D

Nowt like a good cliche spun by people without a mind of their own.......... B)

The Liv debt restructuring was touch and go by all accounts.

£350m debt with payment terms of £20m or so a year.

So all we need is for them to miss out on the CL this year and the fun will really begin. ;)

There's only £105m been placed onto the club though, the rest has been guaranteed by the owners.

Tbh I'm undecided as to whether they're cunts or not, I'm not 100% sure what's normal business practice in these situations but I can't see them having done too much wrong.

Of course they're fucking cunts.

They've used the club to buy the club, to this day I'm sure it ain't legal.

Season ticket prices are rising steeply and all the rest of it.

You sure of all that???

I could only see Wise as KK's replacement, if he (Keegan) was sacked or walked out, for a short term until a full time manager was appointed.

He took Millwall into the UEFA cup.

He wasn't at Swindon long but he had an excellent start, and Swindon desperately tried to hold onto him.

He took Leeds down after taking them over mid-season in the shit, and getting a 10 point deduction.

You sure of all that???

He took Millwall into the UEFA cup.

He wasn't at Swindon long but he had an excellent start, and Swindon desperately tried to hold onto him.

He took Leeds down after taking them over mid-season in the shit, and getting a 10 point deduction.

You can't factor in the points deduction as they only went into administration after they were already down (not mathematically but in reality given their inferior goal difference) to try and avoid a points deduction the season after.