Keegan moves for Dunne

Scottish Mag

KEVIN KEEGAN has made his first moves to strengthen his defence by making an official enquiry for Manchester City defender Richard Dunne.

Less than 24 hours after learning he had lost out to Tottenham in the race to sign creative Croatia midfielder Luka Modric, Keegan's St James' Park recruitment team have contacted City in the hope of bolstering his defensive ranks this summer.

Dunne - likely to cost around £5m - is still no closer to signing a new contract at Eastlands and the Newcastle boss is hopeful he can strike a deal for the Ireland international.

Sven-Goran Eriksson is determined to retain the services of the 28-year-old but, with just 14 months remaining on his contract, City could be forced to cash in at the end of the season.

And Keegan, who worked with the centre-back during his four years in charge of City between 2001 and 2005, views Dunne's uncompromising style as the perfect addition to his backline.

The Magpies chief claimed on Friday that ideally he was looking for players with Premier League experience and, after Saturday's 2-2 draw at West Ham, he admitted that approaches for potential signings were on the agenda.

"We'll be in there pitching for some very good players," said Keegan. "If you don't bowl, you can't knock the wickets down.

We might get hit for six, but we might get a wicket.

"We'll get the targets we want hopefully. I'm sure if we had three top class players to what we've got and a couple of good youngsters we can look forward to a lot more in front of our fans next year."

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I worry about Dunne. He's been excellent for the last few seasons, but I've seen him drop enough clangers over his career to worry if he could go to shit again.

However, if he keeps it together, he'd be a very good addition.

While he may not excite anyone or even perk anyone's interest, I think he would be a valuable addition to the squad and slot straight in without any "bedding in" period.

couple of rag's out there saying were gonna let faye goto blackburn if we land dunne , not sure bout that like !

wonder if they want rozy instead .

As part of the Bently/Santa Cruz deals? :nufc:

couple of rag's out there saying were gonna let faye goto blackburn if we land dunne , not sure bout that like !

wonder if they want rozy instead .

Wouldn't let faye go, decent defender and a great physical presence at set pieces, plus he's purple.

Oh and I know i said I've not been that impressed with him, I sure he will be fine under Keegan and as long as we dont spend to much on him I'll be happy. :nufc:

Did anyone else think Dunne was like 31 or 32? Hes definately worth buying at 28 and could forge a decent partnership with taylor

Or someone else. :nufc:

Dunnes ok. I think it is hard to find a excellent C.B.

Definetly hard to find one with PL experience, outside of the top 4 Dunne and Lescott spring to mind as the best 2 CBs though I reckon we'd find it very hard to tempt Lescott. I just hope Dunne isn't just using the attention from us to get himself a better deal at City.

Did anyone else think Dunne was like 31 or 32? Hes definately worth buying at 28 and could forge a decent partnership with taylor

Such as Faye. Sell Taylor to Blackburn tbh...

Such as Faye. Sell Taylor to Blackburn tbh...

championship player

Whats up with the stick Taylor gets? Given his age he could still progress into a solid player. I seem to recall Ferdinand having similar lapses in concentration only a few seasons back and could be seen as a liability at times.

Whats up with the stick Taylor gets? Given his age he could still progress into a solid player. I seem to recall Ferdinand having similar lapses in concentration only a few seasons back and could be seen as a liability at times.

your comparing taylor to ferdinand?

I think it's more to do with the hero worship he garnered a season or two back because he was local. And also the fact he's cocking about over a new contract.

I agree to an extent (I'd hardly compare him to ferdinand) but I think a lot of people forget how young he is and that you get to your best as a defender in your late 20's early 30's as opposed to other positions where you peak younger

He is overrated a lot by both the media and a lot of fans and himself which is my main problem with him