Top 4 Concerns Keegan

wykikitoon

I'm guessing the net spend will be around £30-£40m.

I agree and fear that's not enough - Villa, City etc will be spending that imo.

that's no investment tho is it , its just using the tv money like every other club will be .

lets face it , we were the only team tobe beaten by derby . if everyone else spends 50 mill , and we spend 50 mill , there is little chance of us moving forward .

With Keegan in charge from the start, this squad would have been competing with Portsmouth, Blackburn, Villa and Everton. Matching their investment will ensure we do so next year and put ourselves in a position to bid for top class players and really spend big.

I honestly believe we're better off spending about as much as we did last year, anything more and we're throwing money at average players because no-one with ability and ambition should be attracted to us right now.

I think you are right.

Shush. Adults are talking.

I know you are but what am... oh bollocks.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Everyone won't spend £50m though.

id bet manu do for starters , and they are gonna win the league .

manu,lpool,city, sunderland 50m+

chelski 100m (i hope not)

villa,pompy,arsenal,everton 30-50m .

thats the least of what will get spent by those teams i reckon.

other clubs are not going to stand still why we try and push on , and the top 10 are definately going to spend this year , half are pushing for uefa spots , the rest champ league spots .

the first lot of tv money last season was just the start of it .

On the contrary I'd say it was about the most they'll spend. I'd bet on most of those spending less.

when manu are setting benchmarks of 20mill for promosing (unproven) teenages , i cant see how those team who want to push on could spend anything less than the sums i mentioned .

we got a good look at how easy 50mill is wasted thanks to old keaneo last summer .

Yup, it is hard to see how they can.

Everyone won't spend £50m though.

id bet manu do for starters , and they are gonna win the league .

manu,lpool,city, sunderland 50m+

chelski 100m (i hope not)

villa,pompy,arsenal,everton 30-50m .

thats the least of what will get spent by those teams i reckon.

other clubs are not going to stand still why we try and push on , and the top 10 are definately going to spend this year , half are pushing for uefa spots , the rest champ league spots .

the first lot of tv money last season was just the start of it .

On the contrary I'd say it was about the most they'll spend. I'd bet on most of those spending less.

when manu are setting benchmarks of 20mill for promosing (unproven) teenages , i cant see how those team who want to push on could spend anything less than the sums i mentioned .

we got a good look at how easy 50mill is wasted thanks to old keaneo last summer .

I don't get your point about Keane. Surely that's a reason not to spend £50m+ at this stage in Keegan's reign. And Man Utd (and Chelsea for that matter) aren't comparable to the other teams in terms of what they can spend, who they can attract etc.

You may be right and we'll see Villa and Everton etc. going beserk this summer but somehow I doubt it.

what i meant was look at the price of some of the shiite the makums bought . 50m isnt what it once was in the prem.

and surely with a new billionare owner and keegan back at the club we can offer more than we gave souness .

what i meant was look at the price of some of the shiite the makums bought . 50m isnt what it once was in the prem.

and surely with a new billionare owner and keegan back at the club we can offer more than we gave souness .

Keane paid over the odds for very average players, something Keegan hopefully won't do.

If you look at last year's summer spending Man U were the biggest spenders at around £50m, if Keegan gets that to spend then I'd be very happy with it and it would make a huge difference to us next season.

Guest alex

I take your point like Hadrian but what Souness was given was ridiculous. I think we might get a lot to spend but, as others have said, it's more about who we can attract. I still don't think the other clubs will spend £50m+ - top 2 apart. Maybe Liverpool will too.

Edited by alex

Anyone else think Keegan might just be employing a few sly tactics to throw people off?

i hope so ...

he's been fantastic with the media this time around.

let's just hope spurs don't want to sign the same players!

makes you wonder what wise, vetere..... etc are doing?

He's telling it how it is, as usual with our Kev.

Perhaps that's true but it's not what I want to hear even if deep inside I know how it is.

Just smacks of negativity to me. What's the point in entering a competition if you don't think you have any chance of winning?

Aye, and negative statements often open exit doors. I would rather be told the glass is half full rather than be told it's half empty.

The daily mail had an article basically saying the same thing, Noelie. The negativity/pessimism in KK's statements may drive players like Owen out the door. Hope it's not true like.

I'm still getting used to the fact that he's back. :crylaughin:

:icon_lol:

It feels quite right, like a natural thing.

I love him to bits and I can't see why he gets so much stick, possibly the England job for coming out and stating the facts unlike Mclaren who let everyone know he wasn't up to the job in a different way.

Hopefully im not as deluded about Keegan as the mackems are Keano :)

The daily mail had an article basically saying the same thing, Noelie. The negativity/pessimism in KK's statements may drive players like Owen out the door. Hope it's not true like.

The Mail has to be the most clueless paper in Christendom. :)

Edited by Park Life

The Newcastle United manager, Kevin Keegan, is set to hold what are being billed as clear-the-air talks with club chairman Chris Mort to resolve a series of issues that are hanging over St James' Park.

Keegan was on Tuesday described as unhappy about being left in the dark over the size of the club's transfer kitty which is bound to be the key item on the agenda when he meets up for detailed discussions with Mort who runs the club for billionaire owner Mike Ashley.

Their talks will include the future of Michael Owen and demarcation of power at the Tyneside club where Keegan has been left in charge of first-team affairs and identification of potential players while director of football Dennis Wise spearheads their recruitment.

There is no evidence to suggest that Keegan is prepared to quit Newcastle but just to add to his concerns, it is understood a member of his backroom technical staff has been removed and replaced by technical co-ordinator Jeff Vetere without his say-so which has apparently gone down badly with the former England manager.

Confusion over transfer policy is, though, clearly becoming a source of frustration for Keegan judging by his latest comments when asked about suggestions that he would only be able to spend income on new players that outgoings generate this summer.

Keegan said: "I don't know. I have not been told. I don't know what is here if I am honest. That's not a problem. We will just have to wait and see. You really need to be talking to Chris Mort or Dennis Wise about the finances for this football club.

"It's not my job and I have never been involved in it. That's the truth. I cannot help you on that other than saying my job is to ask Tony Jimenez (vice-president, player recruitment) to go and get players.

"I give them a player and they go and try and get him for us. I am saying that whatever finance will be there, it will not be enough to take us into the top four."

Keegan said he had a responsibility to be realistic with supporters and "tell them I am not going to get enough money to make major changes".

"I know that already," he added. "I do know that much. Major changes take massive finance and it's not massive finance. I'm not depressed. I'm just being realistic. The fans know that. They are very knowledgeable. If I have said anything that has offended them I would be surprised. They are thinking, 'How much money is there?'"

Keegan continued: "If someone said there would be £40 million or £50 million it still would not be enough to get you from where we are. We do not need as big a squad as Chelsea because we have not got Champions League football.

"We are not going to do it in my time in three years. We are just not going to do that. We cannot make that leap. What I can do is get this club higher up the table. I believe I can do that. Fifth place is our League championship."

Keegan voiced his concerns about the club's inability to challenge the top four following a 2-0 defeat by Chelsea on Monday. Speaking ahead of the Chelsea game, Mort, who is expected to give his manager re-assurances over the future, defended the club's re-structuring that saw Keegan followed into the club by Wise, Jimenez and Vetere.

In his programme notes, Mort, who pointed out that Ashley had ploughed £100 million into the club since his acquisition a year ago to avert "serious financial difficulties", stated: "We have put in place a structure which should help put the club in a position of strength and stability for the long-term.

"Dennis Wise and his recruitment team have been busy seeking out the best footballing talent across the country, elsewhere in Europe and further afield and we will see some of the benefits of those efforts this summer.

"In addition to strengthening the first-team squad we will also continue to recruit younger players for the future to ensure the club is built on more stable foundations for the long-term."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/main.jhtm...6/ufnnew106.xml

papers are going to run and run with this i know *hands up* but ! ....

is that a tone off attitude in kev's anwers ? the way he keeps on telling the press to ask mort or wise , doesnt seem to impressed with not being able to chase his own targets .

he hasnt started this rolling for no reason aswell , there is always method to his madness , come's off like he's feeling left out in the cold abit and wants to get his hands dirty himself with shaping the club .

Fucking tell you what it is, if KK walks through the board not fulfilling their promises there will be fucking hell to play. Ashley might as well pack up and fuck off if that was to happen.

Too fucking right. :)

Harry Redknapp believes it would take upwards of £150million to mount a top four challenge.

The Portsmouth boss has echoed the views of his Newcastle counterpart Kevin Keegan, who on Monday claimed that the Premier League is in danger of becoming boring as Manchester United, Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool continue to dominate year after year.

Keegan insists that many teams are now struggling to compete for fifth place such is the financial divide within the top flight, while Redknapp admits that substantial investment would be required for an outsider to infiltrate the 'big four'.

Pompey are currently bankrolled by wealthy businessman Alexandre Gaydamak, but despite the Frenchman's considerable input the club still find themselves 16 points adrift of the Premier League leaders.

Compete

"You would need £150million to spend to have any chance of breaking into that top four," said Redknapp.

"Look at Liverpool last summer, they spent £28million on Fernando Torres and he is a fantastic player but who else can compete with that?

"I agree with Kevin Keegan, I do not see any way that anyone else can break into the top four.

"Tottenham came closest for a few seasons but if you look at them now they have fallen back into mid-table. Nothing is guaranteed by spending money and it is getting harder and harder to get there."

Billionaires

Redknapp believes that the only way to prevent the current situation from escalating would be for more foreign investors to pump significant funds into the game in order to level out the playing field.

"I can see more and more foreign investment coming into the Premier League because everybody wants to be associated with it," he said.

"I can see American and Russian billionaires coming in but the trouble is they all want to be winners and only one can win the title. Billionaires do not accept being losers.

"If someone had put £200million into Derby this season then they could have been a successful side and that is the sort of money that will happen in the Premier League."

Harry Redknapp believes it would take upwards of £150million to mount a top four challenge.

The Portsmouth boss has echoed the views of his Newcastle counterpart Kevin Keegan, who on Monday claimed that the Premier League is in danger of becoming boring as Manchester United, Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool continue to dominate year after year.

Keegan insists that many teams are now struggling to compete for fifth place such is the financial divide within the top flight, while Redknapp admits that substantial investment would be required for an outsider to infiltrate the 'big four'.

Pompey are currently bankrolled by wealthy businessman Alexandre Gaydamak, but despite the Frenchman's considerable input the club still find themselves 16 points adrift of the Premier League leaders.

Compete

"You would need £150million to spend to have any chance of breaking into that top four," said Redknapp.

"Look at Liverpool last summer, they spent £28million on Fernando Torres and he is a fantastic player but who else can compete with that?

"I agree with Kevin Keegan, I do not see any way that anyone else can break into the top four.

"Tottenham came closest for a few seasons but if you look at them now they have fallen back into mid-table. Nothing is guaranteed by spending money and it is getting harder and harder to get there."

Billionaires

Redknapp believes that the only way to prevent the current situation from escalating would be for more foreign investors to pump significant funds into the game in order to level out the playing field.

"I can see more and more foreign investment coming into the Premier League because everybody wants to be associated with it," he said.

"I can see American and Russian billionaires coming in but the trouble is they all want to be winners and only one can win the title. Billionaires do not accept being losers.

"If someone had put £200million into Derby this season then they could have been a successful side and that is the sort of money that will happen in the Premier League."

He's probably right.

Starting to lower my expectations of how high we're aiming tbf.

5th...14th, what's the fucking difference?

Try to win something or don't bother.

A ridiculous view considering only 3 teams have won the title in more than a decade.

Sorry but isn't this the very same media that keeps printing that Ashley is selling the club to the Saudi's/Fat Freddy's new consort/an Icelandic fish cannery?

They didn't know the truth then and I highly doubt they know the truth now.

Most of those quotes in the Telegraph article look like thing that were said when Wise, etc were hired.

Ashley's not Abramovich but then again Ashley doesn't need to move his money out of Russia for fear of it being reclaimed by the people it was lifted from.

Listen to the words of Chuck D people.